5.0 out of 5 stars I loved this book. Ms. Davidson is a wonderful author
Reading about Goldy is fun & entertaining. I have readevery book she has written & have enjoyed all. Can't wait for thenext one to buy.
Published on Nov. 7 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars one of her lesser efforts
"The Main Corpse" is one of Davidson's lesser efforts in the Goldy Bear Schulz series, but still lively enough to make it worth your while. Marla goes to jail in this one, and Julian is off at school, replaced by Maguire, son of the headmaster of Elk Park Prep School.

It's a western plot involving a gold mine and a false assay, various dubious...
Published on Aug. 26 2003 by Karen Sampson Hudson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The Main Corpse, May 27 2004
K. Hill (Windsor, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Main Corpse (Mass Market Paperback)
Unlike most of the other reviewers, I did not dislike this book. I thought the story had energy and speed. Goldy immediately takes an active interest in the murder mystery as she knows that her friend is going to be implicated. This story gives Goldy a chance to show how intelligent a detective she really is.
I gave it only four stars because: I do feel that there were some issues between Goldy and her husband that went unanswered at the end. Since it is a series, I can accept that. And I wasn't happy that one of my favorite characters died.

3.0 out of 5 stars one of her lesser efforts, Aug. 26 2003
Karen Sampson Hudson (Reno, NV United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Main Corpse (Mass Market Paperback)

It's a western plot involving a gold mine and a false assay, various dubious characters, and of course, front and center, food and recipes. Recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Naive Miss G., Aug. 8 2003
This review is from: The Main Corpse (Mass Market Paperback)
Like many others who are complaining about this book, I love all of the other ones that I have read by the author. This one on the other hand not only was unbelievable, but I kept waiting for Tom (who really is a great guy) to decide to divorce his lovely Goldie. Between deciding that she is a much better cop than Tom and the totally corrupt police department that belongs in some other country--this was by far the worst of the lot. I am not real fond of Macguire either--bring back Julian PLEASE! Even the recipes in this one were not anything special...if you are reading this book as the first one of the series--don't give up! The others are Much better!

4.0 out of 5 stars good recipes, story a bit lacking, Feb. 14 2003
This review is from: The Main Corpse (Mass Market Paperback)
I like the Goldy (Bear) Schulz character - I've read most of the books in this seiries. But for some reason, her character did not seem to be the character I expected. In this book, she aggressively takes more risks with herself as well as her son and that seemed to be out of place for her character.
No matter - the recipes, as always were great but there seemed to be a plot piece missing in this particular book. If you're interested in the seiries, this is not the book to start off with. Some reocmmend reading the books in chronological order and I'd have to agree with that point. I read them out of order. Some events in past books are referred to in the later books and unless you read them, it doesn't make sense to you.
This is a good read, not as good as the others, but the recipes are fantastic. M's Davidson should really bring out a Goldy (Bear) Schulz cookbook.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Main Corpse, Feb. 11 2003
This review is from: The Main Corpse (Mass Market Paperback)
The recipes sound great, but I found the plot unbelievable and contrived. Having read most of the other books in this series I felt like I knew Goldy Schultz. The things she does in The Main Corpse are out-of-character for her and just plain stupid.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, Dec 31 2002
This review is from: The Main Corpse (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the first book by Diane Mott Davidson that I've attempted. I struggled through the first 90 pages, and then decided it wasn't worth my time. Maybe if I had read earlier books in the series and I was more invested in the characters, I would have enjoyed it. But as it is, I couldn't make myself care about what was going on. However, I highly recommend the recipe for Rainy Day Chicken Soup; it's fabulous.

1.0 out of 5 stars This book is torture!!, July 21 2002
This review is from: The Main Corpse (Mass Market Paperback)
I have really enjoyed reading Diane Mott Davidson, but this book was so frustrating to read! Reading throug 10 pages of soup taste testing almost sent me over the edge. This was the most boring book I have read in a long time. Reading the reviews, I was sure I had read a different book than those giving the book a 5 star rating. Wow!

3.0 out of 5 stars Delectable but a little off the mark, Aug. 12 2001
This review is from: The Main Corpse (Mass Market Paperback)
I have truly loved reading the Goldy Schulz murder series, however, this one wasn't one of Diane Mott Davidson's best. The conclusion was a little unbelieverable and it seemed clumsily done. It just didn't seem real that everything fell in too place as Goldy comes up with a dangerous and outrageous way to catch the villain of the story. Ms. Davidson's ending seemed more like the ones you see on a TV mystery like Murder, She Wrote.
Even though this one was a little off the mark, it will not stop me from continuing to read more Goldy mysteries. I want to continue to follow her ever-imaginative detective strategies, see if Julian comes back, and as always, obtain additional scrumptious recipes.

3.0 out of 5 stars This one's a bit over the top, Dec 5 2000
This review is from: The Main Corpse (Mass Market Paperback)
I love the Goldy series, and will continue to read them because the wonderfully imperfect Goldy seems like someone you'd want to be friends with. For that reason, I don't even mind her plot lines, which are occasionally the literary equivalent of watching paint dry. LOTS of insignificant details about her daily life, although again, it adds to that "visiting with a good pal" feel of the series.
However, this time Diane Mott Davidson went overboard in an attempt to liven the action! Goldy would be doing major prison time if she really did what this plot has her doing, not to mention that the state would (and should) remove Arch from her home for child endangerment. Yeeks.
That said, I LOVE the Macguire Perkins character, he's an utter goof and much more interesting than the anxiety-laden Julian. More of Macguire, please! And while you're at it, more of the sweet, heart-warming intimations of marital intimacy between Goldy and the bear-like Tom. Now, THAT'S yummy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Goldy's back in real Colorado -- makes for a fun read, Nov. 17 2000
Carol Peterson Hennekens (Colorado Springs, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Main Corpse (Mass Market Paperback)
I'm a big fan of the Goldy series (as read by Barbara Rosenblatt on tape). I was disappointed with "Killer Pancake" which just didn't click for me. In "The Main Corpse", Diane and Goldy are back in real Colorado and doing much better.
The key pieces of this puzzle include a very rainy June (we had more than one in the 1990's), a gold mine, a shady stock offering (Colorado was infamous for them in the 1980's), and lots of running around in the mountains.
The plots in this series are typically not the main reason to read the books. What I really enjoy is Goldy's "voice" as she tells her stories and the way she portrays the up and down sides of life here in Colorado. Both aspects are in fine shape in this mystery.
One caution to those who may be thinking of picking up this book for a first read of this series. This series, more than most, is a continuing affair as Goldy and her family and friends mature. It's well worth it to start with her first book, Catering to Nobody, and working your way through the series.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Main Corpse
The Main Corpse by Diane Mott Davidson (Mass Market Paperback - July 1 1997)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89