4.0 out of 5 stars Still good
Published on Oct. 15 2012 by siakat

Published 18 months ago by Jag Sulla

3.0 out of 5 stars Adding fluff to cash in when you know you have a blockbuster., Dec 18 2013
This review is from: A Feast for Crows: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Four (Mass Market Paperback)
Good business maybe (in the short term). Like many, the series is good enough that I'll see it through, but this book is hardly first rate. If the first book was this good there wouldn't be a TV series right now. My guess is that George R.R. Martin saw the phenomenal success of his first offerings and decided to take what would have been a concise well written 3 or 4 book series and expand it. The one word that best describes this book is 'verbose'. Martin tends to say in 30 words what can be better said in 10 words. He reminds me of a child writing a 1000 word essay. After writing and only coming up with 700 words he stuffs in fluff to fill in the extra words. The storyline of Brienne of Tarth better not be some dead end just to demonstrate that good people die in Martin's books. Eddard and Rob's death had a point in the bigger storyline. If this just proves that undead Lady Stoneheart is now a total bitch, then the entire storyline with her was a total waste. Adding Dorne and multiple Pyke story lines starts to make the series too busy. He's spinning too many plates at the same time now. That being said, its still an acceptable read. The storyline with John Snow was done well, as was watching Cersei think she's brilliant while she screws herself. The evolution of Jaime Lannister's character was also good to follow.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still good, Oct. 15 2012
This is one of my favourite book series, and so when i got my hands on the fourth book i was expecting it to be just as amazing as the first three books. In this respect i was disappointed. Its not that this book wasn't good- far from it i believe that it is very interesting and well written. However, the third book ended on such a high note- and also a huge cliffhanger for Arya, Tyrion and Dany- that i REALLY wanted to find out what would happen next. Unfortunately, these characters were sort of brushed aside (although Arya was in the book she was not as central as i would have liked her to be). I felt like the storyline drifted a little bit- mostly because all my favourite characters were pushed aside- and so this is my least favourite book so far in the series. That being said, i DID give it a 4 star review because it is STILL awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Oct. 4 2014
I honestly don't understand why some people complained about the book. If your reasons for not liking it are because Tyrion or Dany weren't in it, then that's the stupidest reason not to like it. The book helps give new perspectives of other characters in the world, and it also gives a chance for the reader to learn more about what's going on all throughout Westeros, especially within the Iron Islands and Dorne. This was very well done simply because it gives a chance for GRRM to make the world and the story even bigger, which allows for an even greater and more epic conclusion at the end of the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some important characters & events; but not as strong as the rest of the series., April 5 2015
“A Feast for Crows” is the fourth book in George R. R. Martin’s series ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’, and this story revolves around King’s Landing, where the 8-year old Tommen Baratheon ‘rules’ under the aegis of his mother Cersei Lannister, who, more than ever, proves that no deed is too evil for her, no liaison too taboo, and no trust too sacred.

For me, this has been the weakest of the series - for the sole reason that a lot of the main characters such as Tyrion Lannister, Daenerys Targaryen and Jon Snow are absent. That said it was still interesting to know more about such important characters as Brienne of Tarth, Sansa Stark, Samwell Tarly, Asha and Victarion Greyjoy of Pyke, and rising star Margaery Tyrell.

An interesting feature in this book was the presentation of certain events where the reader is privy to certain events unknown to the characters themselves, such as the meeting of Lady Olenna Redwyne and Cersei. Additionally, enough hints are presented to really pique an interest in events to come! Maester Aemon’s mention of Daenerys Targaryen as the one, Lady Genna’s talk with Jaime about Tyrion, Petyr Baelish’s pronouncement about the ‘game of thrones’ … all point to wild winds of change.

I have to make a special mention of the House of Black and White in Braavos, the temple of the Faceless Men, where we spend some time along with Arya Stark - the house was gorgeous, its people very mysterious, and that section left quite an impression.

Overall, there is a prevailing sense of grittiness and violence - including violence of language and sexual violence - that encompasses this book. As Jaime reflects at one point, “This is a time for beasts, for lions and wolves and angry dogs, for ravens and carrion crows.”

5.0 out of 5 stars continued excellent reading, Jan. 16 2013
I must admit that at times I found the book a bit slow in moving ahead. I really do miss some of the characters, Tyrion, Arya. I feel that the series is being written like a "afternoon soap opera". That's not a bad thing for what the author is doing. The story jumps from one person to another. Every time moving the various plots a bit. It's a global story as seen by various characters that are being affected. My predictions after the third book are all wrong! I like that I can't predict the story. The intrigue, the plotting, the scheme continues. Every character is having an impact on what is unfolding. I was sad to seem so characters that I liked, ended. I would have liked to see more about other characters that seemed to be left out, yet I enjoyed how some other characters have changed. Additional characters were added. I am not sure I like that. I would have prefered staying with all the characters already available. Not sure about the other comments concerning the length of the book. It was long..in length not boring! I found myself always caught in reading the next chapter. I really like that the chapters are the names of the characters that the story continues with. I am amazed(pleased!) that the author hasn't "filled the book" with unneeded repetitions of stories already written in previous books. So far the series is well worth the money. Anxious to start book 5...will it be the last? Does the story finally have a happy ever after?

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, June 25 2012
J Reader (CANADA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This book is an ingenious addition to the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. I was ready to stop reading this series after the third book. I found A Storm of Swords very difficult to get through. The constant suffering of characters I had grown to care about over the coarse of the first two books was overwhelming.

A Feast for Crows is almost entirely an exercise in plot and character development. This book focuses mostly on the personal stories of a few characters. There not many major events of the magnitude presented in the first three books. (Some may be wondering which characters are followed in this novel as many reviewers have noted characters are missing. I've included the list at the end of this review.)

Everything in Westeros begins to become much more complicated from a character and political point of view. There appears to be a religious divide developing. The Ironmen are getting more ambitious. The Highgarten/Dorne/Kinglanding alliance is shaky. The political education of Sansa continues and Cersei's torment is revealed. This book does not have alot of action but it is stuffed from cover to cover with compelling drama.

If like me you love the world Martin has created and you enjoy following the characters on their journeys you will love this book.

The characters that are followed in this book are, Cercei and all other characters in Kingslanding, Jamie, Sam and Gilly from the wall. Sansa and others in The Vale are followed as well as all main characters in the Iron Islands. The Dornish prince and his family are intruduced and very interesting information regarding Daenerys is revealed through them. You will spend a fair bit of time with Briene and Arya as well.

Check out my other reviews for more info on A Song of Ice and Fire series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A FASCINATING CAST OF CHARACTERS!, Nov. 9 2005
From reading the other reviews, I suppose I made a mistake in not reading the other books in this series first, but the title intrigued me and I didn't know it was a series. And I'd heard so much praise for the author, I just had to see what he's doing right!

Perhaps, as reviewers say, the first books were better (almost masterpieces?), but I still enjoyed this book. The characters were rich and well-developed and the story kept me guessing. All in all, buying this book was money well spent!

But, by way of comparison, I'll have to back-pedal and get the first ones.

My hat's off to this author!

5.0 out of 5 stars Short But Sweet, Nov. 30 2005
Tom Moffatt "-think geothermal" (Lethbridge, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
I was a bit put off by all the negative reviews of the work before I started reading it. With this in mind, I read it with a thought for the reviewer's eye. I can put the doubts to rest now. George R. R. Martin hasn't lost it. This book is as good as the rest of the series. No, the chapters on Brienne weren't boring. No, Cersi isn't going mad, as one reviewer claimed. She's flawed, which is quite different.
The story and the characters were both complex and interesting. The book did have the feel of being a bit short and incomplete, a mere 684 pages and divided in two at the last moment. 684 pages isn't short, you say? Well, it seemed short. The reason is that George R. R. Martin isn't telling a story about a character, which may easily falter and lose it's interest before one gets to six volumes. GRRM is telling a story about an entire world, and it's a great big fascinating world out there. The story is told by examining the lives of some of the people involved at critical times and places.
There was one complaint that the number of cliffhangers was excessive, and I do recall that one of them seemed especially contrived, bringing to mind a picture of tipping a barrel of monkeys over a vine-laden cliff resulting in "a lot of cliffhangers". I wonder if GRRM has visions of a T.V. series?
Characterization outpaces plot in this volume, but the tale was ready for more characterization and less plot. This would only be a flaw if things continued in this vien forever, and plot didn't take up the reins again at some point.
The story makes you think, and it makes you remember. I read a lot of fantasy, but most of it is forgettable. Not this series. The realism that is not present in most fantasy series is appealing. Medieval life, morals, and principles seem more accurately depicted in the world of Westeros. The willingness of the author to allow his characters to die is a startling change from the norm. This is due to the world view adopted in this series. With many fantasy novels you wonder "Will anyone ever die?", with the underlying thought that probably no one ever will, despite an un-ending list of perils to be faced. In this series you wonder "Will anyone live?" with the underlying thought that perhaps no one will.
A Feast For Crows was a darned fine bit of storytelling, and I'm glad the next one is almost written, since it won't be such a long wait. I'm looking forward to it. GRRM's writing pace is slow, but I won't complain about it when it continues to turn out a fine product.
Overall, I give this book 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the story I've been waiting for my entire life., July 18 2014
Andres Consumer (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
-----
Quick Review (TL;DR)
These books are great. Expansive well described settings and extremely complex and detailed characters. You'll find yourself loving character you hated in a previous books and feeling compassion for psychopathic torturers.
Nothing happens the way you think it'll happen and no one you want to live lives. Everyone dies except for the ones you expect to.
I would highly recommend reading this series as long as you don't mind waiting 1-2 decades as the following books are released.
-----

Full-er Review:

--If you want to support a story you enjoy and get the entire series at the same time you should buy this. --

All my life I've been waiting for something like this story. Every time I watched a movie where the good guy had some kind of distress or trouble and the bad guy seemed ahead, I still always knew who would win. As I am sure you all did. (granted this applies more to shows/movies than to books)

Every time a fairy tale ending occurred with the action hero walking into the sunset with his girl, I got tired. Every. Single. Time.

Good guy wins, bad guy loses/gets away and everyone is happily ever after. Sure there are some exceptions, but not really. Either everyone dies at the end or some other trope occurs. But the bad guy never wins over. Not at the end. Like some horribly boring, predictable formula.

This is the show I've been waiting for. Everything you think will happen doesn't happen. Or it does and then does a complete 180. No predictability at all. I absolutely love it.
You hate the character who paralyzes kids and then you grow to like them and empathize with their flaws as they grow into their character.

Your [favourite] characters die and others live, but you never know which or how they'll do it. Your most hated character become your most loved characters and then they also die. Or maybe not. Maybe they become hated again.

---

This is the story after the happily ever after. The story of the brave warrior who becomes king but is unable to rule, he doesn't know how. Of course he doesn't, he's a boy who knows how to fight, why would he be equipped to rule a kingdom?
This is the story after the king marries a famous beauty.
They're not happy 20 years later, they resent each other and each grows to hate the other more and more. The king drinks and has his way with whore while the queen does the same with her brother.

They are human. They do not live happily ever after. The nice honourable man dies, children die, the scheming betrayer lives. In fact he thrives.
This is the story for those who want to know what happens after the "... and they lived happily ever after". Love, loss, anger, hatred, life and death. No linear storyline with predictable outcomes. No more of that.

If any of that sounds appealing to you then read the books, watch the show, immerse yourself in this world and watch what happens when people have to go through life with real problems and real consequences.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great., Nov. 21 2005
I was very pleased to find, that after all these years of waiting, the characters and the setting still have the same feel. I was afraid that the vision of the story had changed or that Martin had lost interest and that the series would flounder. That just doesn't seem to be the case.
The writing is top notch. This book continues with the same tight prose full of excellent dialogue and characters with real personalities and motivations. However it moves slowly and has limited plot and/or character development. There's also the knowledge that this is just the first volume of the two that will cover the same timeline. The effect is that reading it feels like a chore at times - something you have to do in order to get to the real story.
Deffinately the low point in the series - though the low point in this series is still far and away higher than the high point in most.

A Feast for Crows: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Four
A Feast for Crows: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Four by George R. R. Martin (Mass Market Paperback - Sept. 26 2006)
CDN$ 11.99 CDN$ 10.79