5.0 out of 5 stars A FASCINATING CAST OF CHARACTERS!
From reading the other reviews, I suppose I made a mistake in not reading the other books in this series first, but the title intrigued me and I didn't know it was a series. And I'd heard so much praise for the author, I just had to see what he's doing right!

Published on Nov. 9 2005 by Betty L. Dravis

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great.
I was very pleased to find, that after all these years of waiting, the characters and the setting still have the same feel. I was afraid that the vision of the story had changed or that Martin had lost interest and that the series would flounder. That just doesn't seem to be the case.
Published on Nov. 21 2005 by C.Batt

5.0 out of 5 stars A FASCINATING CAST OF CHARACTERS!, Nov. 9 2005

Perhaps, as reviewers say, the first books were better (almost masterpieces?), but I still enjoyed this book. The characters were rich and well-developed and the story kept me guessing. All in all, buying this book was money well spent!

But, by way of comparison, I'll have to back-pedal and get the first ones.

My hat's off to this author!

4.0 out of 5 stars Still good, Oct. 15 2012
This is one of my favourite book series, and so when i got my hands on the fourth book i was expecting it to be just as amazing as the first three books. In this respect i was disappointed. Its not that this book wasn't good- far from it i believe that it is very interesting and well written. However, the third book ended on such a high note- and also a huge cliffhanger for Arya, Tyrion and Dany- that i REALLY wanted to find out what would happen next. Unfortunately, these characters were sort of brushed aside (although Arya was in the book she was not as central as i would have liked her to be). I felt like the storyline drifted a little bit- mostly because all my favourite characters were pushed aside- and so this is my least favourite book so far in the series. That being said, i DID give it a 4 star review because it is STILL awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Short But Sweet, Nov. 30 2005
Tom Moffatt "-think geothermal" (Lethbridge, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
I was a bit put off by all the negative reviews of the work before I started reading it. With this in mind, I read it with a thought for the reviewer's eye. I can put the doubts to rest now. George R. R. Martin hasn't lost it. This book is as good as the rest of the series. No, the chapters on Brienne weren't boring. No, Cersi isn't going mad, as one reviewer claimed. She's flawed, which is quite different.
The story and the characters were both complex and interesting. The book did have the feel of being a bit short and incomplete, a mere 684 pages and divided in two at the last moment. 684 pages isn't short, you say? Well, it seemed short. The reason is that George R. R. Martin isn't telling a story about a character, which may easily falter and lose it's interest before one gets to six volumes. GRRM is telling a story about an entire world, and it's a great big fascinating world out there. The story is told by examining the lives of some of the people involved at critical times and places.
There was one complaint that the number of cliffhangers was excessive, and I do recall that one of them seemed especially contrived, bringing to mind a picture of tipping a barrel of monkeys over a vine-laden cliff resulting in "a lot of cliffhangers". I wonder if GRRM has visions of a T.V. series?
Characterization outpaces plot in this volume, but the tale was ready for more characterization and less plot. This would only be a flaw if things continued in this vien forever, and plot didn't take up the reins again at some point.
The story makes you think, and it makes you remember. I read a lot of fantasy, but most of it is forgettable. Not this series. The realism that is not present in most fantasy series is appealing. Medieval life, morals, and principles seem more accurately depicted in the world of Westeros. The willingness of the author to allow his characters to die is a startling change from the norm. This is due to the world view adopted in this series. With many fantasy novels you wonder "Will anyone ever die?", with the underlying thought that probably no one ever will, despite an un-ending list of perils to be faced. In this series you wonder "Will anyone live?" with the underlying thought that perhaps no one will.
A Feast For Crows was a darned fine bit of storytelling, and I'm glad the next one is almost written, since it won't be such a long wait. I'm looking forward to it. GRRM's writing pace is slow, but I won't complain about it when it continues to turn out a fine product.
Overall, I give this book 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the story I've been waiting for my entire life., July 18 2014
Andres Consumer (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
-----
Quick Review (TL;DR)
These books are great. Expansive well described settings and extremely complex and detailed characters. You'll find yourself loving character you hated in a previous books and feeling compassion for psychopathic torturers.
Nothing happens the way you think it'll happen and no one you want to live lives. Everyone dies except for the ones you expect to.
I would highly recommend reading this series as long as you don't mind waiting 1-2 decades as the following books are released.
-----

Full-er Review:

--If you want to support a story you enjoy and get the entire series at the same time you should buy this. --

All my life I've been waiting for something like this story. Every time I watched a movie where the good guy had some kind of distress or trouble and the bad guy seemed ahead, I still always knew who would win. As I am sure you all did. (granted this applies more to shows/movies than to books)

Every time a fairy tale ending occurred with the action hero walking into the sunset with his girl, I got tired. Every. Single. Time.

Good guy wins, bad guy loses/gets away and everyone is happily ever after. Sure there are some exceptions, but not really. Either everyone dies at the end or some other trope occurs. But the bad guy never wins over. Not at the end. Like some horribly boring, predictable formula.

This is the show I've been waiting for. Everything you think will happen doesn't happen. Or it does and then does a complete 180. No predictability at all. I absolutely love it.
You hate the character who paralyzes kids and then you grow to like them and empathize with their flaws as they grow into their character.

Your [favourite] characters die and others live, but you never know which or how they'll do it. Your most hated character become your most loved characters and then they also die. Or maybe not. Maybe they become hated again.

---

This is the story after the happily ever after. The story of the brave warrior who becomes king but is unable to rule, he doesn't know how. Of course he doesn't, he's a boy who knows how to fight, why would he be equipped to rule a kingdom?
This is the story after the king marries a famous beauty.
They're not happy 20 years later, they resent each other and each grows to hate the other more and more. The king drinks and has his way with whore while the queen does the same with her brother.

They are human. They do not live happily ever after. The nice honourable man dies, children die, the scheming betrayer lives. In fact he thrives.
This is the story for those who want to know what happens after the "... and they lived happily ever after". Love, loss, anger, hatred, life and death. No linear storyline with predictable outcomes. No more of that.

If any of that sounds appealing to you then read the books, watch the show, immerse yourself in this world and watch what happens when people have to go through life with real problems and real consequences.

5.0 out of 5 stars I give this a 5 because I know what's to come..., Feb. 3 2007
JJ (Peterborough, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Feast for Crows: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Four (Mass Market Paperback)
Rage Fan below has a valid point. This volume seems to lack some of the luster and appeal of its predecessors. But that's because it's telling only HALF the story. Of course, many of the plot threads we have so dearly and faithfully followed in the past are absent here. But this book focuses on continuity, which I think is essential and effective. I think George made the right decision here. For a story of such epic proportions, it's easy to lose focus, and you risk this very thing if you try to deal with every single plot thread at once. But this book can clearly stand alone as a solid piece of work.

Let's face it, even though this Act deals with the less 'glamourous' players in the 'game', this writing is still as flowing and as rich as ever. It's just beautiful storytelling. And the fact that I know that the next Act will be even MORE engrossing, it just makes me thirst for MORE AND MORE!!!

But Rage Fan, how dare you compare him to Jordan! ;) Because there's simply no comparison. Martin is just 'In The Zone', and he does it all for a purpose, for a reason.. And a good story deserves to be told - no matter how long in the telling. If that telling is craftily done, then who cares how long it takes! All that I ask is: if it does end, let it end well and on terms we can all live with...

Kudos to George!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Feast for Fans, Jan. 1 2006
Colin Saraka "Desafio" (Canada) - See all my reviews
While this addition to the Ice and Fire series did not contain the twists and intrigues of the previous novels, I thought it very enjoyable. While I was waiting for it I reread all of the previous novels, and reminded myself how much I loved the character's that Martin has created for my enjoyment. I think that the title is very suitable; Westeros is a land of corpses, and weak, and I can see Martin moving all of his characters to either prey on the Seven Kingdom's weakened state, or to rebuild their life with what pieces they have. For me this book was all about the characters. I do think that Martin spent too much time on Brienne and Cersei but he still has me wondering what part they will play in the ongoing story. I can't bring myself to say that he spent too much time on Jaime though; he's one of my favourite characters in the series and I enjoyed every minute I spent with him.
It disappoints that Martin had to split this volume in half though. Honestly, I really would have rather he just had one absurdly long book. One of Martin's great aspects, to me, was that he could create an indisputably unified and strong story while juggling so many subplots, and he lost that a bit by cutting out half the characters.
I can't wait for A Dance of Dragons though. I don't know what to read in the mean time!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great., Nov. 21 2005
The writing is top notch. This book continues with the same tight prose full of excellent dialogue and characters with real personalities and motivations. However it moves slowly and has limited plot and/or character development. There's also the knowledge that this is just the first volume of the two that will cover the same timeline. The effect is that reading it feels like a chore at times - something you have to do in order to get to the real story.
Deffinately the low point in the series - though the low point in this series is still far and away higher than the high point in most.

4.0 out of 5 stars I personally found very satisfying., Sept. 20 2007
I finished it yesterday and was not disappointed. I was wary out of fear that Martin might be pulling a Jordan on us - you know, writing 1000 pages with no content, but this fear was unreasonable. Things happen in this book, oh yes. No huge battles but a lot of character developments, intrigues and murder AND you learn a lot of the history of Westeros in countless small anecdotes and stories from the characters, which I personally found very satisfying. Which brings me to my only complaint: it was too long. I understand Martin's reason to cut it in half but he should have taken one more character in to make the book bigger. It merely has 680 pages and - though it is great to read it - one is left with the feeling, that was all? I would also recommend reading Tino Georgiou's masterpiece--The Fates --if you haven't read it yet.

2.0 out of 5 stars treading water, June 8 2011
Rodge (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
The flaw in this book is not so much in the writing, which is fine and as gripping as ever. It does represent a flaw in the series, in that we ignore characters from previous books, including several that I missed very much. Also, the plot only gets advanced in limited ways. Lots happens, but when it comes to the overall story of the series, not much has taken place. It's hard to see how this could be avoided in this format, telling a complicated story from the point of view of an extensive list of characters. Some reviewers complained in particular about Brienne but her adventures are no more pointless than the rest in here. Much depends on the next book - moving the story forward again will make this one worthwhile.

5.0 out of 5 stars :D, June 23 2014
My husband loves this series. So it make it more complete for him to read. He also loves reading as well. Thanks

A Feast for Crows: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Four
A Feast for Crows: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Four by George R.R. Martin (Mass Market Paperback - Sept. 26 2006)
CDN$ 11.99 CDN$ 10.79