4.0 out of 5 stars I personally found very satisfying.
I finished it yesterday and was not disappointed. I was wary out of fear that Martin might be pulling a Jordan on us - you know, writing 1000 pages with no content, but this fear was unreasonable. Things happen in this book, oh yes. No huge battles but a lot of character developments, intrigues and murder AND you learn a lot of the history of Westeros in countless small...
Published on Sept. 20 2007 by Charles Clemmons

2.0 out of 5 stars So let down!
I can't write a very sophisticated review as this genre really isn't my thing, but I made it through the three previous novels with enough enthusiasm to proceed. I think, overall, for an average reader, this is the least satisfying offering so far. I admit to skimming half of it, wanting something to happen, ANYTHING to happen that would justify my interest. So many of my...
Published 17 months ago by Poetkitty

1.0 out of 5 stars Going on too long., Oct. 26 2013
Kotter "kotter49" (Caledon East, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Feast for Crows: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Four (Mass Market Paperback)
I am afraid I have completely lost all interest in this series even though I have fought through all of the books. The author seems to have no idea where he is going with plot or characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, Sept. 19 2013
a great continuation of a fascinating series, I can't wait for the next book but I am trying to pace myself

5.0 out of 5 stars the american LOTR, July 28 2013
Excellent, even if you don't read much fantasy. The fourth book was probably the "slowest" one in the series, but a bunch of things happened which needed to wrap up some loose ends. The HBO series departs from the books quite heavily, so if you want a richer story experience, read the books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, June 22 2013
I love these books. Especially given the fact that I now own the whole set in hardcover. If you like fantasy, you should check these out. Great stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars series, Jan. 20 2013
Ever since seeing the HBO TV series at a friends house, I have been hooked on George RR Martin. Can't wait for the next book

5.0 out of 5 stars continued excellent reading, Jan. 16 2013
I must admit that at times I found the book a bit slow in moving ahead. I really do miss some of the characters, Tyrion, Arya. I feel that the series is being written like a "afternoon soap opera". That's not a bad thing for what the author is doing. The story jumps from one person to another. Every time moving the various plots a bit. It's a global story as seen by various characters that are being affected. My predictions after the third book are all wrong! I like that I can't predict the story. The intrigue, the plotting, the scheme continues. Every character is having an impact on what is unfolding. I was sad to seem so characters that I liked, ended. I would have liked to see more about other characters that seemed to be left out, yet I enjoyed how some other characters have changed. Additional characters were added. I am not sure I like that. I would have prefered staying with all the characters already available. Not sure about the other comments concerning the length of the book. It was long..in length not boring! I found myself always caught in reading the next chapter. I really like that the chapters are the names of the characters that the story continues with. I am amazed(pleased!) that the author hasn't "filled the book" with unneeded repetitions of stories already written in previous books. So far the series is well worth the money. Anxious to start book 5...will it be the last? Does the story finally have a happy ever after?

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, June 25 2012
J Reader (CANADA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This book is an ingenious addition to the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. I was ready to stop reading this series after the third book. I found A Storm of Swords very difficult to get through. The constant suffering of characters I had grown to care about over the coarse of the first two books was overwhelming.

A Feast for Crows is almost entirely an exercise in plot and character development. This book focuses mostly on the personal stories of a few characters. There not many major events of the magnitude presented in the first three books. (Some may be wondering which characters are followed in this novel as many reviewers have noted characters are missing. I've included the list at the end of this review.)

Everything in Westeros begins to become much more complicated from a character and political point of view. There appears to be a religious divide developing. The Ironmen are getting more ambitious. The Highgarten/Dorne/Kinglanding alliance is shaky. The political education of Sansa continues and Cersei's torment is revealed. This book does not have alot of action but it is stuffed from cover to cover with compelling drama.

If like me you love the world Martin has created and you enjoy following the characters on their journeys you will love this book.

The characters that are followed in this book are, Cercei and all other characters in Kingslanding, Jamie, Sam and Gilly from the wall. Sansa and others in The Vale are followed as well as all main characters in the Iron Islands. The Dornish prince and his family are intruduced and very interesting information regarding Daenerys is revealed through them. You will spend a fair bit of time with Briene and Arya as well.

Check out my other reviews for more info on A Song of Ice and Fire series.

4.0 out of 5 stars AFFC does not get enough respect..., Dec 6 2011
I usually don't write these reviews but I feel as though I should since AFFC seems to get the rotten end of the deal with this series. People complain that there is no action, the best characters (Jon, Tyrion, Dany) are not in it, and they have to put up with too much Cersei. However, while those points are partially true, I feel as though a complete review of the novel is warranted.

The fact: This book is slower-paced that it's three predecessors. There is no big final, epic battle but this book have other aspects to it that that other ones do not have.

What this book has: Essentially this book (and ADWD) act(s) as the transition to the story. The War of the Five Kings is basically over. Stannis is holding on by his fingernails and the Ironborn are causing some trouble but the main conflict, Stark/Tully vs. Lannister war, has been decided. So what does this book have? This book has a very subtle and amazingly well written transformation. We finally get to see into Cersei's world and exactly what is going through her head. The change in Jaime is especially awesome and he is turning into a very entertaining (and likeable) character. Sansa shows us the Vale while Arya lets us glimpse into Braavos. Brienne's plotline is also amusing and some (that said some) of the Ironborn chapters are entertaining. Lastly, we finally get a look at Dorne and while it begins slow, it turns into the second best part of the book (Jaime #1). Throughout these POV characters we also get some insight into some of the most powerful people in the novels (Tywin Lannister, Mace Tyrell, Stannis Baratheon, Doran Martell, Loras Tyrell, Randall Tarly, Euron Greyjoy, Bronze Yohn).

To conclude: This book is different than the others. But if you are a true fan of the series, this book meets the cut. The transformation of some of the characters is well done (really shows Martin's talent) and we see numerous places in Westeros and Esso that we had only heard about before.

To enjoy: Stop comparing with AGOT, ACOK, and ASOS as their story is done (at least the story on the top, between the lines is a different matter). Enjoy this book for what it is, relish POV characters that we have not yet met and appreciate the role this novel plays in the grand scheme of the series. If you are a true fan this book will meet your expectations. Happy reading!

2.0 out of 5 stars 4TH Book A disapointment BIG TIME!, March 30 2012
Contrary to many readers of this series, I happened to become interested after the HBO series and we had all four paperbacks already at home. I had the pleasure of immersing myself in Westeros etc. for weeks. With no waiting between the next installment. Only problem with that is the slight repetition.

I was in love with this series till book 4. I'm an avid reader and a disciplined one, I never read the end before the end, and don't skip pages or paragraphs in spite of too much descriptive fill-in background. Well, I confess I broke my own rules and skipped and skipped and skipped, even moved forward to see which character was next and sometimes started reading those sections before I was through with the previous chapters.

I hear book 5 suffers from the same problems. I will still read it, but only because I am dying to hear about Bran, Rickon, Jon, Davos, Brienne, Sam, Daenerys and Arya.

These long series from authors which take 15 to 20 years to write always seem to suffer in the end. Writers are human beings after all, and nobody keeps the exact same skills over this kind of time span. It's a shame. I hope there in one and final book 6, Mr. Martin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Subtle Significance, Dec 28 2010
Michael J. Lane (Peterborough, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
A Feast For Crows is most assuredly not wanting. Some people are confusing their personal favorite characters as the central plot axis. ALL the characters contribute to the plot. It is ludicrous to compare Martin with Jordan. A Feast For Crows has significant plot developments, they just don't fit the mundane fantasy norm, and have a high degree of subtlety and intelligence. Essentially, this book establishes the various religious factions which do not share the same boundaries as the political alliances. This is something not usually depicted in fantasy to any degree of sophistication.

The characters are not the srory, they are a part of the story. I think some readers have their romantic notions as to who should be doing what. Martin is not catering to that thought. He is redefining the archetypes of fantasy to be reflective of historical and contemporary political and human realities.

I too missed some favourite characters. This did not detract, however, from enjoying the overall story and the complex interplay manifesting from the seeds planted in the first book. A great read.

ARRAY(0xab3fe138)

A Feast for Crows: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Four
A Feast for Crows: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Four by George R.R. Martin (Mass Market Paperback - Sept. 26 2006)
CDN$ 11.99 CDN$ 10.79