4.0 out of 5 stars I personally found very satisfying.
I finished it yesterday and was not disappointed. I was wary out of fear that Martin might be pulling a Jordan on us - you know, writing 1000 pages with no content, but this fear was unreasonable. Things happen in this book, oh yes. No huge battles but a lot of character developments, intrigues and murder AND you learn a lot of the history of Westeros in countless small...
Published on Sept. 20 2007 by Charles Clemmons

2.0 out of 5 stars So let down!
I can't write a very sophisticated review as this genre really isn't my thing, but I made it through the three previous novels with enough enthusiasm to proceed. I think, overall, for an average reader, this is the least satisfying offering so far. I admit to skimming half of it, wanting something to happen, ANYTHING to happen that would justify my interest. So many of my...
Published 20 months ago by Poetkitty

3.0 out of 5 stars Dislocated, June 15 2014
I really enjoyed the first three books but felt a real jolt from this one. What seemed to be missing was the masterly story flow, replaced by what felt like a lot of filler, dealing with a limited range of the main story plots without providing any real resolution. This book was a disappointment.

3.0 out of 5 stars Adding fluff to cash in when you know you have a blockbuster., Dec 18 2013
This review is from: A Feast for Crows: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Four (Mass Market Paperback)
Good business maybe (in the short term). Like many, the series is good enough that I'll see it through, but this book is hardly first rate. If the first book was this good there wouldn't be a TV series right now. My guess is that George R.R. Martin saw the phenomenal success of his first offerings and decided to take what would have been a concise well written 3 or 4 book series and expand it. The one word that best describes this book is 'verbose'. Martin tends to say in 30 words what can be better said in 10 words. He reminds me of a child writing a 1000 word essay. After writing and only coming up with 700 words he stuffs in fluff to fill in the extra words. The storyline of Brienne of Tarth better not be some dead end just to demonstrate that good people die in Martin's books. Eddard and Rob's death had a point in the bigger storyline. If this just proves that undead Lady Stoneheart is now a total bitch, then the entire storyline with her was a total waste. Adding Dorne and multiple Pyke story lines starts to make the series too busy. He's spinning too many plates at the same time now. That being said, its still an acceptable read. The storyline with John Snow was done well, as was watching Cersei think she's brilliant while she screws herself. The evolution of Jaime Lannister's character was also good to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars to be continued, Dec 15 2013
All the people you see reviewing this series that are putting down the last 2 books are just jealous that they have no talent to write such a spell binding story. Wonderful continuation of the series...

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint of heart, Nov. 3 2013
Alison (Bath, Maine, USA) - See all my reviews
Outstanding writing. Tremendous and original detail, even of horrific experiences. Pus, stenches, guts, corpses, rape---no detail is spared. Thank goodness for engaging characters.

1.0 out of 5 stars Going on too long., Oct. 26 2013
Kotter "kotter49" (Caledon East, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I am afraid I have completely lost all interest in this series even though I have fought through all of the books. The author seems to have no idea where he is going with plot or characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, Sept. 19 2013
a great continuation of a fascinating series, I can't wait for the next book but I am trying to pace myself

5.0 out of 5 stars the american LOTR, July 28 2013
Excellent, even if you don't read much fantasy. The fourth book was probably the "slowest" one in the series, but a bunch of things happened which needed to wrap up some loose ends. The HBO series departs from the books quite heavily, so if you want a richer story experience, read the books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, June 22 2013
I love these books. Especially given the fact that I now own the whole set in hardcover. If you like fantasy, you should check these out. Great stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars series, Jan. 20 2013
Ever since seeing the HBO TV series at a friends house, I have been hooked on George RR Martin. Can't wait for the next book

5.0 out of 5 stars continued excellent reading, Jan. 16 2013
I must admit that at times I found the book a bit slow in moving ahead. I really do miss some of the characters, Tyrion, Arya. I feel that the series is being written like a "afternoon soap opera". That's not a bad thing for what the author is doing. The story jumps from one person to another. Every time moving the various plots a bit. It's a global story as seen by various characters that are being affected. My predictions after the third book are all wrong! I like that I can't predict the story. The intrigue, the plotting, the scheme continues. Every character is having an impact on what is unfolding. I was sad to seem so characters that I liked, ended. I would have liked to see more about other characters that seemed to be left out, yet I enjoyed how some other characters have changed. Additional characters were added. I am not sure I like that. I would have prefered staying with all the characters already available. Not sure about the other comments concerning the length of the book. It was long..in length not boring! I found myself always caught in reading the next chapter. I really like that the chapters are the names of the characters that the story continues with. I am amazed(pleased!) that the author hasn't "filled the book" with unneeded repetitions of stories already written in previous books. So far the series is well worth the money. Anxious to start book 5...will it be the last? Does the story finally have a happy ever after?

A Feast for Crows: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Four
A Feast for Crows: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Four by George R.R. Martin (Mass Market Paperback - Sept. 26 2006)
CDN$ 11.99 CDN$ 10.79