5.0 out of 5 stars A FASCINATING CAST OF CHARACTERS!
From reading the other reviews, I suppose I made a mistake in not reading the other books in this series first, but the title intrigued me and I didn't know it was a series. And I'd heard so much praise for the author, I just had to see what he's doing right!

Perhaps, as reviewers say, the first books were better (almost masterpieces?), but I still enjoyed this...
Published on Nov. 9 2005 by Betty L. Dravis

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great.
I was very pleased to find, that after all these years of waiting, the characters and the setting still have the same feel. I was afraid that the vision of the story had changed or that Martin had lost interest and that the series would flounder. That just doesn't seem to be the case.
The writing is top notch. This book continues with the same tight prose full of...
Published on Nov. 21 2005 by C.Batt

3.0 out of 5 stars Adding fluff to cash in when you know you have a blockbuster., Dec 18 2013
This review is from: A Feast for Crows: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Four (Mass Market Paperback)
Good business maybe (in the short term). Like many, the series is good enough that I'll see it through, but this book is hardly first rate. If the first book was this good there wouldn't be a TV series right now. My guess is that George R.R. Martin saw the phenomenal success of his first offerings and decided to take what would have been a concise well written 3 or 4 book series and expand it. The one word that best describes this book is 'verbose'. Martin tends to say in 30 words what can be better said in 10 words. He reminds me of a child writing a 1000 word essay. After writing and only coming up with 700 words he stuffs in fluff to fill in the extra words. The storyline of Brienne of Tarth better not be some dead end just to demonstrate that good people die in Martin's books. Eddard and Rob's death had a point in the bigger storyline. If this just proves that undead Lady Stoneheart is now a total bitch, then the entire storyline with her was a total waste. Adding Dorne and multiple Pyke story lines starts to make the series too busy. He's spinning too many plates at the same time now. That being said, its still an acceptable read. The storyline with John Snow was done well, as was watching Cersei think she's brilliant while she screws herself. The evolution of Jaime Lannister's character was also good to follow.

5.0 out of 5 stars to be continued, Dec 15 2013
All the people you see reviewing this series that are putting down the last 2 books are just jealous that they have no talent to write such a spell binding story. Wonderful continuation of the series...

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint of heart, Nov. 3 2013
Alison (Bath, Maine, USA) - See all my reviews
Outstanding writing. Tremendous and original detail, even of horrific experiences. Pus, stenches, guts, corpses, rape---no detail is spared. Thank goodness for engaging characters.

1.0 out of 5 stars Going on too long., Oct. 26 2013
Kotter "kotter49" (Caledon East, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I am afraid I have completely lost all interest in this series even though I have fought through all of the books. The author seems to have no idea where he is going with plot or characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, Sept. 19 2013
a great continuation of a fascinating series, I can't wait for the next book but I am trying to pace myself

5.0 out of 5 stars the american LOTR, July 28 2013
Excellent, even if you don't read much fantasy. The fourth book was probably the "slowest" one in the series, but a bunch of things happened which needed to wrap up some loose ends. The HBO series departs from the books quite heavily, so if you want a richer story experience, read the books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, June 22 2013
I love these books. Especially given the fact that I now own the whole set in hardcover. If you like fantasy, you should check these out. Great stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars series, Jan. 20 2013
Ever since seeing the HBO TV series at a friends house, I have been hooked on George RR Martin. Can't wait for the next book

5.0 out of 5 stars continued excellent reading, Jan. 16 2013
I must admit that at times I found the book a bit slow in moving ahead. I really do miss some of the characters, Tyrion, Arya. I feel that the series is being written like a "afternoon soap opera". That's not a bad thing for what the author is doing. The story jumps from one person to another. Every time moving the various plots a bit. It's a global story as seen by various characters that are being affected. My predictions after the third book are all wrong! I like that I can't predict the story. The intrigue, the plotting, the scheme continues. Every character is having an impact on what is unfolding. I was sad to seem so characters that I liked, ended. I would have liked to see more about other characters that seemed to be left out, yet I enjoyed how some other characters have changed. Additional characters were added. I am not sure I like that. I would have prefered staying with all the characters already available. Not sure about the other comments concerning the length of the book. It was long..in length not boring! I found myself always caught in reading the next chapter. I really like that the chapters are the names of the characters that the story continues with. I am amazed(pleased!) that the author hasn't "filled the book" with unneeded repetitions of stories already written in previous books. So far the series is well worth the money. Anxious to start book 5...will it be the last? Does the story finally have a happy ever after?

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, June 25 2012
J Reader (CANADA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This book is an ingenious addition to the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. I was ready to stop reading this series after the third book. I found A Storm of Swords very difficult to get through. The constant suffering of characters I had grown to care about over the coarse of the first two books was overwhelming.

A Feast for Crows is almost entirely an exercise in plot and character development. This book focuses mostly on the personal stories of a few characters. There not many major events of the magnitude presented in the first three books. (Some may be wondering which characters are followed in this novel as many reviewers have noted characters are missing. I've included the list at the end of this review.)

Everything in Westeros begins to become much more complicated from a character and political point of view. There appears to be a religious divide developing. The Ironmen are getting more ambitious. The Highgarten/Dorne/Kinglanding alliance is shaky. The political education of Sansa continues and Cersei's torment is revealed. This book does not have alot of action but it is stuffed from cover to cover with compelling drama.

If like me you love the world Martin has created and you enjoy following the characters on their journeys you will love this book.

The characters that are followed in this book are, Cercei and all other characters in Kingslanding, Jamie, Sam and Gilly from the wall. Sansa and others in The Vale are followed as well as all main characters in the Iron Islands. The Dornish prince and his family are intruduced and very interesting information regarding Daenerys is revealed through them. You will spend a fair bit of time with Briene and Arya as well.

Check out my other reviews for more info on A Song of Ice and Fire series.

A Feast for Crows: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Four
A Feast for Crows: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Four by George R.R. Martin (Mass Market Paperback - Sept. 26 2006)
CDN$ 11.99 CDN$ 10.79