Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on April 26, 2016
I picked up Summer of Roses not realizing that it was a continuation of another story. Thankfully the author included some background information on the characters previous situations, so I was able to get an idea of what I missed.

It took me quite some time to get into this story especially that of Lilly’s storyline. I felt like the characters were so overloaded with personal trauma that it didn’t feel believable. The secondary storyline which involved Marissa and her daughter was far more interesting to me.

Although I lacked connection with Lilly, I found Luanne Rice’s descriptions of the settings and the season to be quite beautiful. I also thought that the physical descriptions of the characters really helped set the tone of the story.

I look forward to reading more from this author in the future and hope that I have a better connection with some of her other characters. I would recommend this book to those who enjoy contemporary women’s fiction.
on May 15, 2010
A heart warming tale of strength in many forms - physical, emotional, the power of love.

The connection with Nova Scotia, my home province, was what caught my eye first and I am a huge fan of Luanne Rice. I was drawn to Rose, Lily's daughter who was born with heart conditions and continues to battle what ails her. Having just started my family stories like this are making me so appreciative of my own son's health. I have been privy to tales of abusive relationships and Lily's story is one that is experienced far too often.

When I read a novel, even though it's fictitious, I want to be able to take something out of it, to grow and this novel certainly did that for me. Very much recommended.

Sarah Butland
on February 23, 2008
Overall, I liked this book. I didn't want to stop reading it at any moment, but I can't say it kept me riveted to my seat either. I could take it or leave it. The story was good, although I didn't enjoy the end as much as I had hoped. It was wrapped up to quickly to support such a long build up.

Also there was a side story about illegal fishing that didn't really have much of a point. It seemed like filler.

I loved the characters, and of course I was immediately attached to the young girl Rose who was born with Tetralogy of Fallot (like me). Actually, it was the reason I chose to read this book and Rice did a good job of researching it enough to be pretty accurate about the heart defect.