4.0 out of 5 stars Really good
Published on June 1 2004 by Brendan

3.0 out of 5 stars Two completly different stories
Published on Aug. 3 2003 by mangostreet1

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good, June 1 2004
One of my main criteria for enjoying a book is to be surprised by the events. Seeing the movie first usually ruins that for me (and recently I have not found out about the book until after the movie comes out). Fortunately, this book is so different from the movie, the plot remains surprising and original. Although Ludlum's style is confusing at times, the action and story are great. We follow Jason Bourne around Europe and America, as he takes on different personalities to learn more about himself.
I look forward to learning more about the main character, Jason Bourne, as he learns more about himself in the next two books. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys the spy/thriller genre, as this is one of the better books I have read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't compare it to the movie., June 15 2011
J Reader (CANADA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The Bourne Identity is a good movie...and a great book, but they are not the same. They share the same lead character and the same basic premise but that's where the comparison must end. Marie is a completely different character and the plot and story follow different paths.

This novel is loaded with intricate detail and overflows with action and suspense. I enjoyed the evolution of the Bourne character and the very complex supporting characters. This book grabbed me by the shirt and wouldn't let me go until I turned the last page. Anyone who enjoys a good fastpaced adventure packed full of cliffhangers will enjoy this book.

Check out my other reviews for more Ludlum hit's and misses.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Top-Notched, Thrilling Story,, Dec 12 2010
Audrey Lewis (Memphis, Tn.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bourne Identity: Jason Bourne Book #1 (Paperback)
Jason Bourne, the hero is brought to life by Robert Ludlum. The author has a gift to bring this character to a stage that you can almost live his life with him, feel his distress and his agony. The story was very captivating and it was a thrilling read.

When it comes to the "spy" novel, there are few writers that exceed Robert Ludlum's talents. When I finished reading this book I came to this conclusion that most "thriller" writers fall way short. The book is fairly long, so set back and enjoy several evenings of an exciting, wonderful story.
I look forward to reading the sequel to this book. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars The one that started it all!, July 8 2004
Ludlum surpasses not only himself but all other spy thriller writers for all times to come. I started in 1977 with Scarlatti Inheritance and have ever since been hooked to Ludlum. But Bourne Identity exploded on me like no other book or experience I had. It is more than a spy story or about a person called Bourne trying to fight tremendous odds with a total memory loss with bursts of memory flashes of the violent past with layers of different personalities. It is about human mind itself discovering its way using the ultimate training of the past to protect it and achieve the objective imprinted in the psyche. The events will linger forever in the mind and you will be hungry to read another book which can match this book. Yes! Read it ,Enjoy it and be haunted by it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Two completly different stories, Aug. 3 2003
I really enjoyed the movie, simple plot, great story, good cast. But a different story is being told in the book. It's far more complicated: one really has to concentrate and read carefully every sentence in order to understand what's going on. I'm almost done reading it and I still don't have a clear picture on who's who. There's so much confusion and the story is so complicated it's almost annoying. I also don't like the long dialogues between Jason and Marie. They slow the book down enormously. Reading this book should be a heart-pounding experience, but instead it becomes incredibly boring.

Speaking of Marie, I don't like her character either. All that happens between Jason and her, seems so unlikely it's almost funny and ridiculous. She is portrayed as this superwoman, sometimes casting a big dark shadow upon Jason's figure (which should be the strong one). She practically leads him by hand, tells him what to do.
Jason is supposed to be very bright, very strong...a superman without memory. Instead he seems like a frightened child, who needs help from a woman in order to understand what's going on. He therefore becomes weak and dependent upon others. It's not the Jason I saw and liked in the movie.
The plot also never seems to go past Paris, everything is being played out there. I think this book lacks on mobility and tension. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who's looking for the same story of the movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bourne Identity, Sept. 16 2011
Mr. David C. Wood (Campbell River, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bourne Identity (Hardcover)
I am a Robert Ludlum collector and was very pleased with the book I received. The book was in excellent condition and it will be a great part of my collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Good film, great book!, June 18 2004
The Matt Damon film was one of my favourite films until I read this book.
Simply put, it's awsome, it wrecks a great film by being better than a movie can ever be. I have lent this to my dad, my sister and my 2 best friends and they all rate it as the best book of all time!
It develops the plot in such a way as you never want to put it down, from the moment the unnamed man is washed up on a shore to Jason Bourne............. read it and you'll appreciate it, but do read it. A great Movie is a shadow of an amazing book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A man without a past ..., June 1 2004
M. B. Alcat "Curiosity killed the cat, but sa... (Los Angeles, California) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I bought this book mostly because I didn't want to lose the opportunity of reading the book before the release of a film based on Ludlum's book, "The Bourne identity". I really wasn't a fan of the author (and I am not one now), but I loved this book.
To start with, the plot is remarkably good. The "The Bourne identity" is the story of a man without a past, rescued from the Mediterranean Sea by some fishermen. He is very ill, and his body has suffered the impact of many bullets. The man is taken by the fishermen to a doctor in a nearby island, who helps him to recover physically and mentally. Our protagonist doesn't remember who he is, but with the help of the doctor he finds some clues he doesn't like too much. He only knows for certain some things, like that his face has been altered by plastic surgery, that he knows a lot about firearms and that he carried on him a microfilm that contains the code to an account of four million dollars.
In the Swiss bank where the account is he also finds a name: Jason Bourne. But... is he Jason Bourne?. He cannot remember, and if it were for quite a few people, he won't. From the moment he leaves the island onwards, our man without a past will be followed, and attacked. He doesn't understand why, but he reacts in order to stay alive. Add to this already interesting mixture a woman he takes as a hostage, Marie, a number of assasins (including the most famous assassin in the world, Carlos), and the possibility that he is, as a matter of fact, also an assassin, and you will understand why this book is so good. The main character will be hunted all throughout the book not only by the "bad guys", but also by the "good" ones (mainly agents from the USA Government). You won't be able to stop reading this book, and you will find yourself asking aloud to nobody in particular "who on earth is this man?" and "what started this whole mess"?.
All in all, I highly recommend this book to those who appreciate a good thriller, and to those who don't usually read this kind of book but are open to new experiences. I belong to the last category, as I only read "The Bourne identity" because I was interested on watching the movie of the same name. By the way, I also recommend the movie (the 2002 version, with Matt Damon), that ended up bearing only a limited resemblance to the book. If I had to choose, I would choose the book without hesitation, but if you have the possibility not only of reading the book but also of watching the movie, do both things... You won't regret it, and you will probably have fun trying to compare the movie to the book !!
Belen Alcat

4.0 out of 5 stars Bourne is a man on the run, but who is he running from?, April 20 2004
AliGhaemi (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
Jason Bourne is a man with extraordinary skills. He has an altered appearance, access to millions of dollars and can get more using his many talents. The problem is that he does not know who he is, how or why he has acquired his skills and where he comes from. He is a man with no memory.
Stranded in Southern France and nurtured back to health by a drunkard doctor, Bourne is desperate to regain his past, future and identity. How can he do it though if he does not know where to start and what to look for? Moreover, there are individuals out there gunning for his life. A Canadian woman is helping, but will that be enough to remain alive when international assassin Carlos will do anything to end his life?
The thriller moves fast and weaves into and out of different cities and personalities. Twists abound and Bourne has to move fast or risk staring into the eys of death. The book is an action-packed and fast-paced tale of espionage and international deception, with many incredible and often far-fetched coincidences and breaks, but for sheer heart-pumping action The Bourne Identity moves as fast as a bullet to the heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Novel Writing At It's Best!!!, April 13 2004
A. PRICE "ambarmiami" (Miami, FL) - See all my reviews
Robert Ludlun takes you from all of France to Switzerland to the USA in this vivid, imaginative novel. Filled with endless action, suspense and in the core of it all a character that is truly human. Jason Bourne awakes with no memory and the story takes you thru his pain, anguish and his deep love. The author explores makes you feel the characters pain, shows the sights he see yet keeps you wondering and wanting to know more about the character, all at the same time!
I can describe this book with one word.... UN-PUT-DOWNABLE!!!!!!

ARRAY(0xb4bd2ca8)

The Bourne Identity: Jason Bourne Book #1
The Bourne Identity: Jason Bourne Book #1 by Robert Ludlum (Paperback - Jan. 5 2010)
CDN$ 11.99 CDN$ 10.79