4.0 out of 5 stars "This is no game we're playing for your amusement."
It has been SIX LONG YEARS since George R.R. Martin last released a book in his Song Of Ice And Fire Sequence. That's a pretty long wait.

So was "A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five" worth the wait? Well... yes and no. It returns to much-beloved characters like Tyrion, Bran and Daenarys and slowly moves us toward the complex, treacherous...
Published on July 12 2011 by E. A Solinas

2.0 out of 5 stars All Build Up and No Release
Six Years.

I waited six years for progress and answers and all I got was more cliff hangers.

Because George knows the only way we will wait another 6 years is if he resolves as little as possible.

When I neared the end of the book I had such high hopes. So many threads were converging, it would clearly end in an amazing climax...
Published on July 16 2011 by Christopher H

‹ Previous | 1 2 322 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Why oh why, July 24 2013
This review is from: A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five (Hardcover)
George Martin is undoubtedly a genius; but I have no idea what he has in mind for the series. Pivotal characters are either maimed or killed off or face bleak futures. I skipped several pages while reading and it felt like a chore. I was frustrated once I finished reading and the way the book ended infuriated me. I knew it might turn out this way, but i felt compelled to buy and read it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, looking forward for the next, May 14 2013
Again a really good book from George R.R. Martin in this excellent sequel despite the story is really slow in this one (again).
I am starting to believe the sequel will never end as the story diverges more and more without never converging towards an end.
Or Martin is really skilled hiding his clues.... or the last two books will be huge volumes!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Note: Not the mass market paperback size..., March 3 2014
jsc (edmonton, ab) - See all my reviews
Haven't read this 5th book yet but I'm sure it will be hard to put down once I get to it!
Just want to note to others that this is not the same size as the mass market paperback ones... this one is much larger and doesn't match my box set :( Minor detail though it also means that it's much more annoying to read this book on the go.

2.0 out of 5 stars Forced my way through, March 13 2012
Going to make this Short....

I was totally disappointed in this latest book of the series. Too slow, long "nothing happening" periods throughout, not sure if the author can salvage the story. I'd rate the previous books a 4.5 and with this one I'm being generous with a 2.

It was an interesting twist to see some key characters killed off in previous books, but you don't have to do it over and over. Eventually you're going to kill off all the characters that are interesting.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Last Dance, Jan. 4 2014
Ok, I just finished A Dance with Dragons, the last dance for me. I expected more, frankly. I expected a lot of loose ends to be tied up, and voila, new characters and more loose ends at the finish. Overall, the series was entertaining, but there was too little grain and too much chaff. Don't have the time or the energy to tackle Winds of Winter, so don't rush to finish it on my account George - - - just take your sweet time.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Long Wait not Quite Satisfied, July 4 2013
Hated book 4 and thought Martin had written himself into a corner with it. It took much of book 5 to sort out book 4's mess. With the delay in publishing I had lost so many threads and often couldn't remember who characters were. I hope book 6 redeems everything. Please publish fairly quickly. Please.

4.0 out of 5 stars What a steal!, May 9 2013
In Canada this paperback edition has been pushed back again and again and now the release date is suppossed to be October 2013. Well enough of that. I found this and for the same price I would pay at the book store. With only some slight bending when it arrived it's still the best way to beat the system.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good but ..., May 13 2014
I have been listening to this series on CD and thoroughly enjoying it but the series, IMHO, pales beside The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. Every book in that series is unfailingly gripping and manages without endless descriptions of flags, weapons, gifts or breakfast items.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Dance to Keep Dancing, Jan. 18 2012
Warning: Review Contains 'Spoilers'

The 5th installment of the Song of Fire and Ice series is long. It is long not so much due to the roughly 1000 pages that make up A Dance With Dragons, but because it is long in description, in plodding storylines, and in bringing the reader to the end of the book, which is arguably not too much farther than where they started and could have been accomplished with much less text. Martin does begin with a footnote that rather than a straight sequel to A Feast For Crows in a chronological sense, it is rather a book intended to run in parallel to A Feast For Crows (at least the first 75% of the book) in an effort to presumably keep the storylines of the 2 books and the characters they focus on moving forward at a more brisk and engaging pace. Unfortunately I found the result to be anything but.

The numerous long-winded (and in my opinion gratuitous) descriptions of, for example, the history of Meereen's cobblestone construction or the detailed description of the Shield Hall at Castle Black (39 shields are described) do not enrich the story or setting but moreover distracts and slows down the pace.

The numerous detailed subplots also serve to draw out the saga, almost to the point where one gets the feeling that after Crows Martin originally intended perhaps 1 final book and then for whatever reason suddenly decided to extend the series by 3 more books. New characters are introduced (Aegon and the Golden Company, Quentyn Martell, Victarion to an extent), some of them out of thin air, to create further complexity (or confusion) to the plot lines. This hinders the progress of the storyline overall and certain core elements/characters (The Others, Arya, Sansa, the War for the Crown itself) get little or no treatment while many seem simply stuck in their respective situations. Daenerys seems to be stuck for the better part of forever in Meereen (presumably so Martin could allow the dragons to fully grow). Arya seems to be stuck in Braavos getting her 'mystical education' with entire chapters dedicated to describing her role in selling clams and mussels to passerbys. Tyrion seems to be stuck in bondage of some sort for at least half of the book. Additionally, other plotlines that were previously started (Dondarion's band of resurrectors, Sam's voyage to Oldtown, Euron Greyjoy's raiding) make no showing in this book.

Another personal issue I have is the wave of deaths to some of the most engaging characters (my opinion). I realize and appreciate this is somewhat of a hallmark of Martin's storytelling and it does give the characters a greater sense of immediacy since anyone could die at any moment, but when these characters are not replaced by equally engaging characters then it serves to dilute the reader experience. The deaths of Ned Stark, Robb Stark, Jon Snow (presumably), and even the laming of Jamie Lannister have lessened the 'cheer factor' to a sizeable extent, and therefore the engagement factor.

Overall, much of A Dance With Dragons suffers from the symptoms that many lengthy fantasy series (Jordan's Wheel of Time, Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen, etc) suffer from in their later books ' a general dilution of quality or 'richness per page'. That said, Dragons still remains a must read for fans of the series and many of Martin's writing qualities remain on offer. Although the reader gets the impression this book was quite a labored effort to create and lacks from sufficient editing, by its ending many of the pieces are in place for an explosive finish. Hopefully we won't have to wait another 6 years to find out.

1.0 out of 5 stars Urghhh!, Jan. 2 2013
Poetkitty (Victoria, British Columbia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I am valiantly trying to slog through this novel because I've slogged through the previous ones, good, bad and indifferent. While Martin's writing is, as usual, punctuated by brilliance and I'm enjoying this in bits, I am generally dismayed and irritated. I feel like it's one step forward, two steps back! Way too many new characters and not enough emphasis on the old. Why am I reading page after page of senseless descriptions and scenes and pointless characters that aren't even interesting or don't forward the basic plot? I don't even care who wins the throne - all I see is a senseless, miserable world where no one is thriving or happy or has any character that I can truly identify with. I feel duped into reading this, so I can say I persevered, but I am NOT enjoying it at all. Martin should be ashamed of such uneven writing, of creating characters that we love and then failing to let us know how they're faring....it's just a shame....

‹ Previous | 1 2 322 | Next ›

A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five
A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five by George R.R. Martin (Hardcover - July 12 2011)
CDN$ 38.00 CDN$ 23.83