4.0 out of 5 stars "This is no game we're playing for your amusement."
It has been SIX LONG YEARS since George R.R. Martin last released a book in his Song Of Ice And Fire Sequence. That's a pretty long wait.

So was "A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five" worth the wait? Well... yes and no. It returns to much-beloved characters like Tyrion, Bran and Daenarys and slowly moves us toward the complex, treacherous...
Published on July 12 2011 by E. A Solinas

2.0 out of 5 stars The Last Dance
Ok, I just finished A Dance with Dragons, the last dance for me. I expected more, frankly. I expected a lot of loose ends to be tied up, and voila, new characters and more loose ends at the finish. Overall, the series was entertaining, but there was too little grain and too much chaff. Don't have the time or the energy to tackle Winds of Winter, so don't rush to...
Published 10 months ago by Joan Chinkiwsky

‹ Previous | 1 2 320 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Exhausting., Jan. 28 2013
This review is from: A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five (Hardcover)
**Spoilers ahead**

My only consolation is that I started the series after this came out. I can't even imagine waiting 10 years for "A Feast For Crows" and "A Dance With Dragons".

A Dance With Dragons was a chore to read, even more so than Feast. By the last quarter, I found myself sighing, grunting, and skimming pages in frustration. It is beautifully written, but gets a 1 star because of the following:

GRRM is a brilliant man. He knows what he is doing, which either makes the last 2 books in this series a work of incredibly isolated ambition, or a flagrant show of dishonesty. Creating such fantastic cliffhangers, then barely addressing them over the course of the following 10 years/2 books/2000 pages/$30-$50 is an intentional move, no matter which way you slice it. It's not something "we don't get" or "different than we expected". It's manipulative, not unlike reality TV. Whatever the motives (getting us to buy the next volume, stalling for time), it's a little stinky. Plus, the author's apparent refusal to take this criticism seriously doesn't bode well for the rest of the series.

Onto the actual book : There is an incredible amount of filler, and too many concurrent storylines that go nowhere. The overlapping Feast For Crows timeline stunt was cheap, but cheaper still was not to use the rest of that timeline to tie up loose ends. We keep reading, hoping for a closure that never comes. He has completely shied away from what made the first 3 books so great. Gripping characters and fast moving action, all set inside a fascinating, lively, ruthless world. I thought A Feast For Crows was just him taking a breather, but turns out he's lost it for good. What a monumental fall from grace.

With that said, my main gripe with the series as a whole is this :

GRRM has a way of introducing fantastic characters and, if not killing them off altogether, assassinating the particular attachment we have to them, while not giving us anything in return. He just suddenly amputates whatever excitement we have for their stories. Every arc is always somehow..stunted. Why do this? It's unrewarding and exhausting. Jaime Lannister, touted as one of the most dangerous men ever with a sword, gets his sword hand chopped off. ok...so now what? Bran, the ultimate climber with the ultimate secret, has his legs broken, and loses his memory. Ok...now what? Khal Drogo, strong, leader of the Dothraki, UNDEFEATED SINCE FOREVER!! dies, his army scattered...ok. Robb Stark, king of the north, symbol of love and justice!! murdered, his army scattered...King Stannis, harsh, but fair, leading an army with the amazing powers of the FIRE GOD...freezes to death, his army scattered. ok. Brienne, devotes her life to Catelyn Stark, dies at the hands of Catelyn Stark...ok. Dany, waker of dragons, conqueror of the eastern lands to make her way into Westeros, is now afraid of dragons, and refuses to go to Westeros....ok..? Cersei, insidious, proud, beautiful, intelligent...is now foolish, childish, humiliated, weak and ugly...her relationship with Jaime, once a pivotal characteristic of the Lannisters' strength and moral bankruptcy, is now in shambles...ok, but where to now? Littlefinger, the most scheming of them all, and arguably the most efficient player in this game of thrones....was sent to rule the only neutral Kingdom in the realm. ok then. And Jon Snow...I don't even want to try to understand this one.

The list goes on and on...He pushes us away from every character that matters, but never calls us back. We keep finding our footing only to hit a brick wall. That + all those new characters and twice as many cliffhangers...It's just not fun anymore :( It's an abusive test of a reader's patience, excitement and goodwill.

Let's just pray Tyrion won't have his tongue torn out in the next book, shall we?

2.0 out of 5 stars Forced my way through, March 13 2012
Going to make this Short....

I was totally disappointed in this latest book of the series. Too slow, long "nothing happening" periods throughout, not sure if the author can salvage the story. I'd rate the previous books a 4.5 and with this one I'm being generous with a 2.

It was an interesting twist to see some key characters killed off in previous books, but you don't have to do it over and over. Eventually you're going to kill off all the characters that are interesting.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, June 14 2012
I really enjoyed the first two books in the series. After that I thought the story line became too complicated and lost direction. I had hoped that A Dance with Dragons would tie everything together - but no , it wandered on like a soap opera and ended up with "cliff hangers" and unanswered questions. JRRT brought his epic to a conclusion , which was appreciated by readers everywhere . Nevertheless I shall probably read the next episode - if I live long enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't like it. Masterful storytelling, Aug. 18 2014
Come on, who doesn't watch the TV series and read this book and go, I don't like it. Masterful storytelling, (I'm sure others can provide better reviews on this book). In general, if you liked the TV show, you will like this too. Lots of details that could not fit on TV are on here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the books hate the TV show, July 8 2014
What can I say. Love the books hate the TV show, to much changes for my taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Series!, July 1 2014
I am absolutely hooked on this series. I can't waIt to find out what will happen in the next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very fine, June 25 2014
As usual just the BEST!

G r e a t b o o k g r e a t n o v e l

3.0 out of 5 stars All Stories have an Arc, June 24 2014
ATC123 - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I really like the Game of Thrones series (both the books and the TV series), however that said, this is one book too many and realistically it should have been stopped after the first three books. I am reminded of The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (Ill Earth Trilogy) that morphed from a trilogy into something that seemed never to end - a good idea carried too far. The Fringe was great because it began with a clear arc and it finished before the series was exhausted. In this book, I almost get the sense that R.R. Martin knows that he has a cash cow and he wants to milk it a bit more. The book is reasonable but at some point there has to be an end and it should have been before this book. So overall not bad, but we did not need it.

2.0 out of 5 stars disapointing, June 22 2014
after reading the previous 4 books I was disappointed in the ending.the book was hard to follow and many of the main characters in the previous books were lost to me

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing Read, June 15 2014
Mr. Martin is a story teller and can create strong characters, but overall this book felt like he was stretching out the story with lots of filler, without bring the reader any closer to resolution with the many plots that were left in the area. I was quite disappointed after having really enjoyed the first three books.

‹ Previous | 1 2 320 | Next ›

A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five
A Dance with Dragons: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book Five by George R.R. Martin (Hardcover - July 12 2011)
CDN$ 38.00 CDN$ 23.83