5.0 out of 5 stars Educational Edition of Lord of the Flies
The book is in great condition. It was also an excellent price. I couldn't be happier with the product. Thank you.
Published 3 months ago by Emily

1.0 out of 5 stars Cynicism at its best...
Published on Feb. 22 2001 by M. Diren Yardimli

1.0 out of 5 stars Cynicism at its best..., Feb. 22 2001
M. Diren Yardimli (Istanbul, Turkiye) - See all my reviews
It's interesting to see how cynical a successfull author can be, and how popular such cynicism can be. Lord of the Flies might be a suspenseful and thought-provoking book, but it's main thesis --children turning into beasts as soon as the burden of civilization is taken off them-- is utterly silly. It makes me wonder how many children Mr. William Golding really knew or talked to before writing this book. Children are always capable (many times much more than grownups) to act with common-sense and responsibility. I think Mr. Golding knew this (he can't be that narrow-minded), but simply choose to forget it since it would destroy his thesis and he wouldn't be able to write this novel. It's also fun to see how easily some authors can ignore or blur the most simple realities. I don't recommend this book to anyone who loves children and childhood, which is a period of exploration and friendships.

1.0 out of 5 stars The most hopeless book I have ever read, Aug. 16 2000
By A Customer
I really don't know what kind of criteria this book met to receive as much acclamation over the years as it has, it is the absolute worst book I've ever read. Pessimistic, cynical, jaded and completely blind to the truth of the human condition, Golding uses this book as an opportunity to highlight the worst part of the human condition. Golding's message that mankind is imprisoned by civilization, and once we are freed from it we will return to "savage" roots is baseless and nihilistic. Save yourself the agravation and do not read this book. If you are looking for a cautionary tale of some sort, read 1984 by George Orwell or anything other than this insulting piece of overrated literature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Educational Edition of Lord of the Flies, April 9 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly a Thought-Provoking Classic!, June 14 2005
Ce commentaire est de: Lord of the Flies (Audio Cassette)
I recently taught this novel to the Seniors at Tampa Bay Tech High School. When I first introduced the title, they were turned off. But somehow we got through it, and once they understood the symbolism and the theme, they got into it.
This novel is not only a classic, it is part of many high school curriculum agendas. For Hillsborough County in Florida, it is the requirement for Seniors. I even read this book as a Senior in 1989.
I have always loved this novel because I really appreciate Golding's artistry and style. He has an incredible vocabulary and yet the story flows in a very easy-to-read and simple manner. The themes are dark, which makes sense considering that the novel came out in 1954 - a very cynical time in the literary world.
In LOTF, Golding presented a story loaded with irony, symbolism, and theme. Man's dark nature, chaos and war, and the loss of innocence are the major themes that run through the novel. Golding was trying to explain that the problems in society are based on human nature, not political structures. I'm sure that Karl Marx would agree with Golding's philosophies at this point in time.
It has a good plot, even though the beginning is focused on character development. There is a lot of action, and a lot of foreshadowing elements. It's basically about a group of boys, who crash land on a deserted island during wartime, and have to survive on their own while they await rescue.
Each of the characters in the novel symbolically represent some figure in society. There's Ralph, who is the elected leader, and Jack who wanted to be the leader and gains control through manipulating the younger/weaker boys with fear and bullying tactics. The human nature conflict is best represented in the struggle for power or control that these two boys face. There is Piggy, Ralph's right-hand man, who represents Reason, Rational thought, and Civilization. Jack naturally despises Piggy. Jack's right-hand man would be Roger, who symbolizes any terrorist or warmonger. And then there is Simon, who strives for the truth, doesn't take sides and always offers to help. He is the Christ-figure in the novel representing love and faith and is "sacrificed" to the beast.
I find it very interesting how Golding poses that first we lose our faith or ability to love, and then we lose our reason. Very profound and even optimistic philosophy for such a dark look at life.
The ending is compelling and unforgettable. The ultimate philosophical question is what Golding asks through Jack's character, "Aren't there any grownups?" And perhaps Golding agrees with Ralph's answer, "No."
I highly recommend this masterpiece if you haven't read it. It's a quick and easy read, only 190 pages, and it's definitely a novel that you won't forget. It gets you thinking and makes for great philosophical discussion. And it will haunt you. Pick up a copy! Another book I need to recommend -- completely unrelated to Golding, but very much on my mind since I purchased a copy off Amazon is "The Losers' Club: Complete Restored Edition" by Richard Perez, an original, lonesome (but also funny) little novel I can't stop thinking about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly a Thought-Provoking Classic!, May 23 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly a Thought-Provoking Classic!, July 14 2005

1.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly dull, Jan. 23 2002
In my opinion, this is one of the most boring books ever written. Sure, Golding is trying to make a point about power's effect on social stability and structure, but it is lost in the mumbo jumbo style that he writes with. (The movie is also a pathetic depiction of this cliché-ish message.) There are so many books out there that deal with this same topic, and because of this common subject matter, a novelist needs to be truly inventive to create a real masterpiece. This book should not be ranked anywhere near the top 100 novels on the Modern Library Association's list of the best novels of the 20th century.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE ORIGINAL IDEA OF PRISTINE SURVIVAL, March 24 2008
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This being a classic most of us had to read in school, I dared commenting on some plot points - so,
***** *** ** * WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD * ** *** *****

A number of phospholipids left alone in solution will self-organize into a double-layer membrane. A number of differentiated cells carry the inherent capability of self-organize into a semblance of tissue. Do humans carry a similar inherent tendency to self-organize into organized societies? And at what price?

From Stephen King's THE STAND to one of the best TV series ever, LOST, the idea of an isolated group of survivors forming a pristine human society and falling to avoid our dark proclivities has been explored again and again. This 1954 novel was the original telling of it. WILLIAM GOLDING being a Literature Nobelist, it comes to no surprise that his prose is mesmerizing, economic and direct at the same time.

Most societal archetypes and their interactive trajectories are elegantly represented: the benevolent yet eventually dethroned natural leader (Ralph) that is vindicated only after a deus ex machina intervention (the Naval officer); the militaristic idiot that manages to pass as a charismatic necessity (Jack); the technology-dependent intellectual weakling (Piggy) that eventually gets murdered by the brutal dictator (Roger) - who would come up running the show in the end if not stopped by their return to civilization. Reading LORD OF THE FLIES will bring up a great number of familiar societal types. Nevertheless, GOLDING presents a rather deterministic viewpoint.

One does not have to agree with GOLDING's pessimistic myth: we humans are not inherently bound to our societal shackles - and are perfectly capable of both doing the unexpected and surviving without a structured civilization. We existed a long time without it and we can learn again to do so if dictated by necessity. And, keep in mind, according to the Freudian approach, socialization is the root of most...psychosis.

It will keep you thinking long after the last page is turned.

RECOMMENDED!

5.0 out of 5 stars "All we have is the rules", Oct. 3 2010
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Ever fantasize that you are on an island free from the restraints of society? William Golding has taken that scenario to the nth in this story of a bunch of English boys, plane wrecked on an island during WWII.

We see the fabric of society slowly and most assuredly ripping as the rules are discarded one by one. Golding is very graphic in his description of the demise of pigs and plants.

One will never look at fun and games in the same way.

Lord of the Flies: Essential Art House

4.0 out of 5 stars Lordly book, Jan. 25 2005
Book (Vancouver) - See all my reviews
THE LORD OF THE FLIES, by William Golding, is an interesting book. About thirty boys between the age of six to ten years of age are trapped on a deserted island. Now, we all know what happens to boys their age when they are left alone in an empty classroom. Here they are, alone on an island, with absolutely NO GROWNUPS!!! The three main characters, Ralph, Jack, and Simon are very ironic. Ralph is a rich boy who is immediately elected leader over all of the boys. Jack is another rich boy, and he is the one who immediately starts breaking all the rules that the other boys have set up. Simon is a boy who is symbolic of Jesus. But another one of the characters is a boy called Piggy. Right from the beginning, you can see a conflict between Jack and Piggy. Piggy is poor, has asthma, and is almost blind and uses glasses. Jack teases him and makes the other boys tease him too. Can the adults come to save the boys before they completely lose it? I would recommend this book to all people, except for children under the age of twelve. It is truly an enchanting and thrilling book. Must also recommend THE CHILDREN'S CORNER by Jackson McCrae.

Lord Of The Flies
Lord Of The Flies by William Golding (Paperback - Jan. 1 1958)
CDN$ 11.99 CDN$ 10.79