Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-10 of 175 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
Yeah, I can surely tell you that I've never read a book like this. This was eerie, absurd but super-symbolic and written beautifully. Thank goodness I didn't read this on my own or else I would've gotten so confused and absolutely lost in my own mind. Everything would've been a blur and I wouldn't understand what the conch actually represented symbolically.

William Golding's Lord of the Flies is a book that I feel has always been there. It's a classic that's constantly spoken about, whether the person is young or old, and many read it at school since teachers "adore the complications of it." It's also a novel that's imperfect, where the movies were horrible and I feel that nothing is able to showcase it back to its original form. I have mixed feelings with the outcome, but I feel in an overall matter, it's mostly positive, especially looking at the facts that I've never read anything else like it.

Crash-landed on a mysterious island, Ralph, Piggy, Simon and Jack and the choir boys were on a plane heading away from the war when an atom bomb struck the plane and got it to crash. They don't know where they are or who are their acquaintances, but all they know is that they have to survive. At first, things are going pretty smooth compared to later, where animals are killed and the boys go against each other at their own personal war.

The emotion that I felt throughout wasn't like any other that I felt in other books. Some of my friends from school feel that this wasn't a book that's very emotional, but I did shed tears here and there and I wanted to run to some of the boys, and help them and let them know that things eventually would turn out for the better. Golding got us to understand the dark side of humanity, the savage side that every person who has walked the face of the earth has somewhere inside of them, where some can bring it out quicker than others.

"Ralph wept for the end of innocence, the darkness of man's heart, and the fall through the air of the true, wise friend called Piggy."

Can you understand that quote if you haven't read the book already? I would predict that you cannot, and I'm secretly high-fiveing you there, my friend. This is such a difficult book to read, and although it's short, I felt that when you read it, you'll need tons of time to analyze it and go through it all with complete understanding. I bet that if I go back and re-read it all over again, I would spot some things that I hadn't the first time. Shocking, right?

I have to say that when I began this, I wasn't all too happy with me having to read it. Until about the sixth chapter, this was pretty boring and I felt that it was just a simple story about many boys trying to survive on a stranded island with hallucinations and paranoia. That's it. Until the sixth chapter, the plot was horrible but the writing was fantastic, and I knew that things would eventually get better but I didn't have high hopes at the same time. After that, HOLY S***.

Yeah, then all of the religious allegorical s*** came and we were all left with tears and my teacher even cried and the war-party between Ralph, Jack and Roger came along and I died. I was addicted after that, and I forgot about all of the theoretical symbolic stuff and went on with the storyline and plot because I just couldn't believe what the hell was happening. APOCALYPSE? I do seriously think that that's what Golding was trying to stuff into our minds, people. But in the end, I believe that everyone can have a different opinion on what this book meant to them. To me, it was something like the Stanford University experiment that was taken place in 1971 where people went mental after being put into the situation of authority all around them. It just took a matter of days for the prisoners to begin going mad.

And that's what happened to the boys on the island. They began killing and seeing things. A pig for godssake spoke to them. This isn't fantasy, people, it was a mental illness that everyone seemed to get and they slowly turned barbaric. I believe that if you're put into a situation where your whole life is actually taken away from you before your eyes, your whole sense of civilization is actually able to dissipate in a matter of moments when you don't expect it.

My favourite character? Piggy. Most would say Simon, as he was represented as a Jesus-like figure, and I surely loved him too. But Piggy was someone who actually had his head on his shoulders. Yes, he was unconfident because of Jack, but he knew what he was doing, and I admired him for that. He was hilarious and brought some fun and a sense of humour into the book. Although Ralph hadn't known it by the end, but Piggy was the only one who'd provide him with a real friendship and a connection. Without him, Ralph would've never survived and since Piggy was intelligence and the conch was law, you can't have a government (Ralph) without intelligence and law, right?

Next off, the ending. Yes, I did love it, but it surely was too predictable and cliché. We obviously knew that Ralph and the others would get into a war-like situation and have their lives at stake, but then that happened and they all lived happily ever after. I can't tell you the exact situation, but I expected Golding to add in something more symbolic and suspenseful, though we actually should've known more about the conditions of the war and what their lives turned out to be later. A companion would surely be appreciated by yours truly. Jack and Roger went to an asylum, I'm sure, though.

All in all, although I despited Jack and Roger and had problems with connecting to the plot in the beginning, I was really impressed with the outcome of this classic. You can seriously have a discussion on the themes and meaning with just about anyone, even if they haven't read the book. The message hit me hard, and now I'm really considering to look into more psychological learning stuff, because hey, studying the effects of a ruined civilization and its effects on humans is pretty wicked if you ask me. GEEZ, I'm saying, because this book was messed up, but awesome at the same time. It's really cool to look at stories that authors can come up with, just with a snap of their fingers. Is there more to this than what we see at eye-level? Hah, I'm not sure, but then you'd have to meet up with the Lord of the Flies then, and risk the paranoia.
on January 25, 2005
THE LORD OF THE FLIES, by William Golding, is an interesting book. About thirty boys between the age of six to ten years of age are trapped on a deserted island. Now, we all know what happens to boys their age when they are left alone in an empty classroom. Here they are, alone on an island, with absolutely NO GROWNUPS!!! The three main characters, Ralph, Jack, and Simon are very ironic. Ralph is a rich boy who is immediately elected leader over all of the boys. Jack is another rich boy, and he is the one who immediately starts breaking all the rules that the other boys have set up. Simon is a boy who is symbolic of Jesus. But another one of the characters is a boy called Piggy. Right from the beginning, you can see a conflict between Jack and Piggy. Piggy is poor, has asthma, and is almost blind and uses glasses. Jack teases him and makes the other boys tease him too. Can the adults come to save the boys before they completely lose it? I would recommend this book to all people, except for children under the age of twelve. It is truly an enchanting and thrilling book. Must also recommend THE CHILDREN'S CORNER by Jackson McCrae.
on August 1, 2002
Lord of the Flies is a very good book to read. It tells about how a group of british boys learn the meaning of survival after their plane is crashed and their stranded on an Island with no parents. It's also about how living on the island changed their lives. The 3 main charactors are Jack, Piggy, and Ralph. Jack is very pushy to Piggy because Piggy is fat, wears glasses, and has asthma but is friendly to Ralph. But all that changes when Jack lets a fire go out that causes a plane that passes by not to see them, after Jack becomkes more aggressive and just cares about hunting. Soon Jack starts his own tribe and the group slowly seperates from being with Ralph to going with Jack. Jack's group starts doing mean things like stealing Piggy's glasses to make a fire. Anyone who reads will be interested on how Ralphs group tries to do whatever they can to resist the clutches of Jack's and Jack's group's aggressiveness goes from hurting to killing! Any body who reads this will be very interested in the story. GET IT.
on June 10, 2002
Sir William Golding wrote the wonderful novel THE LORD OF THE FLIES in 1954. It is a chillingly true look at the darkest of human nature. To the casual reader, it may seem just to be an adventure of lost boys. However, it has a darker and more sinister commentary on the nature of man. If you enjoy grand and classic literature, buy Sir William Golding's THE LORD OF THE FLIES today.
The novel centres around four boys among several stranded on a presumably Pacific island. Each one is symbolic of a different aspect of human nature. In the beginning, each is still bound by societal limits. As time progresses, things turn for the worst as these limits melt away. Golding masterfully shows this waring away of society, one of the novel's finer points. One of the novel's flaws is that is tedious at many points. Otherwise, it is a grand novel.
If you enjoy classic literature, you should read this novel. If you enjoy thought-provoking work, read this novel. If you enjoy a highly pessimistic commentary on man's nature, read the book. If you don't enjoy tedious reading, or don't like reading a dark book about the evils of man, this novel is not for you...
on May 21, 2002
William Golding's Lord of the Flies is written about kids marooned in an island and how they survive.
This book is very thrilling and interesting the readers what is going to happen next. The story's beginning is that English kids are cast away in the coral island because of the plane crash. They choose Ralph as a chief and start building own community to survive and to be rescued. They explore the island and hunt a pig for food and make a fire as a SOS signal. The community is working at first. But little by little the community is being broken up. Finally some kids pick Jack as a leader and form the other community. When I read this book, I felt how difficult to keep people together. It's not easy to satisfy all people in a community, even people can communicate each other. There is always a conflict we cannot solve by talking between people. And the other thing I found is that happy thing doesn't always happen in a life. Some scenes, like Piggy's death, might be disgusting. But the life is usually full of disasters. We have to accept those things. I learned we should not live in a dream world. A bad thing can happen anytime. And it is important whether we can overcome it. I recommend this book.
on May 21, 2002
The novel Lord of the Flies by William Golding, published by The Berkley Publishing Group (1954) is an action filled book about some schoolboys' struggle for survival after their plane went down on a deserted island.
After the boys are stranded on the island it becomes evident that surviving will be like no other task they have ever undertaken. They learn to fend for themselves by trapping and killing animals, building shelters with branches and by learning how to use their surroundings in the quest for survival. From the very beginning there is tension over who is the leader. It comes down to which candidate has more appealing priorities, playing and hunting all-day or trying to get rescued by keeping a fire alive. While in the hunt for food the boys become total savages, to the extent where they even wage war against each other.
In my eyes the message is that there is a savage in all of us and it comes out the minute we are faced with extreme hardships. The author does not only use the actions of the boys to show the changes that have occurred, but he also uses visual imagery to show their physical changes. For example, in the beginning of the book the boys are well-dressed clean-cut shorthaired boys; however, by the end of the book they are dirty, longhaired animals. Also, to add to their already dirty look, the boys paint their faces to camouflage themselves when they go hunting. The way the boys changed in appearance reflects how they're losing their civilized upbringing.
In my opinion the novel Lord of the Flies was a great book especially for children around my age because it is easy for us to identify with what the kids in the book are going through. Even though I found this novel very exciting and engaging, I would never hope to be put in such a position as the boys in the story were.
on May 8, 2002
In a nutshell: I loved LORD OF THE FLIES. It is probably the greatest book I've ever read, and here's why. I was absolutely fascinated with the characters. They were all so interesting and they always had me expecting something. They all had their own theme. The book is full of themes and mostly each character represents one of the "presidents" of the theme. For example:
Ralph is a leader in the book. He represents democracy in an anarchy based society. This is just one of many examples of theme used in the book. Another thing that was important to the book was the setting. The setting always played a special part in the book whether it give rest to the reader in between tense moments, or provide a source of imagination in the action packed parts. The plot was very believable even though it was a fiction book. I would reccomend this book to anyone over the age of 15. It has a very deep meaning and may not be understood with the mind that hasn't been exposed to some of the things in this book. Enjoy!
on April 28, 2002
The treasured classic Lord Of The Flies takes its readers through a remarkable journey of a group of English boys stranded on an inhabited tropical island. On a summer camp, the plane's engine fails. As the aircraft sinks into the wilderness of the deep ocean, the boys who'd been fortunate enough to land on the sandy island shore face an ultimate challenge. The eldest of the troop being only 11 or 12 years old, the children are left to fend for themselves, not knowing what to expect - would they ever be rescued? Would they ever see their parents again? The struggle to survive was not the only conflict the boys faced. It was a fairly large team, and political issues such as who is "the leader" comes into figure. Would greed and different faiths break up the boys in battle, or would it glue them closer together? How is it that some boys end up murderion other guys on purpose?
This novel presents a realistic event, which makes it fun to read. I would recommend this book for people aged 10 and up who would like to find out how past people were like in their youth, and are interested in issues relating to fairth, hope, trust, and betrayal.
on April 13, 2002
Lord of the Flies was a well-written book, chock-full of symbolism and motifs and themes. However, some of the prose I disliked, and the plot skipped weeks at a time. The setting of the story is an idyllic island. The island is marred, however, by the arrival of a plane of boys that crashes on the island, who were being carried away from wartime Britain. The story probably occurs sometime during World War II. The incident that incites the conflict between Ralph and Jack, the characters who represent pragmatic leadership versus violent evil, is the vote for chief of the island. Jack loses bitterly to Ralph, his only support being his own reluctant choir (he is head choirboy). Ralph, ever the eager diplomat, awards Jack the choir as his to command. Jack declares the choir the hunters, which foreshadows how they will begin to hunt Ralph. The tribe, though, is still firmly behind Ralph and his belief in democracy and rules.
The book progresses into the essential conflict between Ralph and Jack, as several deaths fuel the fire. The book is essentially a social allegory, a comment on the untamable brutality of humankind.
The savagery of this book makes some shocking points about human brutality, and forces the reader to look inward and see some of that brutality in herself. The reader must have patience to adjust to the writing style, but the allegory about the inescapable violence of humanity is powerful and disturbing. Overall reading this book is rewarding.
on April 12, 2002
The novel Lord of the Flies, by William Golding, is the suspenseful and graphic story of a group of English boys stranded on an island. The book starts out with the boys already on the island. The main character, Ralph, finds a conch shell, which plays a major roll in the book, take the conch and blows on to make a loud sound that calls everyone together. Once they are all there they decided that they needed a leader and since Ralph had the shell all the little kids voted for him. The other runner in that competition was Jack, the leader of an older set of boys and the only person on the island with a knife. Ralph gave Jack and his boys the job of hunting. Another person on the island is Piggy, a heavyset boy with asthma and glasses, a very essential part of their survival. Over time some of the little kid go crazy and run away to be savages. Eventually every one leaves Ralph and he is hunted like a dog.
Here are some things that were good and bad about this book. The plot seems basic at first, boys stuck on island have to survive, but then it goes deeper with mysterious creatures, hallucinations and murders. Since it had a good plot it keeps you reading. The vocabulary is another superior factor of the book. The vocabulary gives you a thorough picture in your mind of the island and it inhibiters. Also the book was only 200 pages long so it's an easy read. A not so good feature about this book is it graphic images. At some points it got so disgusting I had to stop reading and go do something else. In additional the ending was predicting. I'm not going to tell about the ending. Over all I would give this book an eight out of ten for the reasons above. I would recommend this book to anyone that likes an alternative to the basic survival story. Also the reader should be in 7th to 10th grade.