5.0 out of 5 stars War comes to Discworld!
Jingo is yet another book that takes place in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. It's the fourth book to feature the City Watch, which is the police force of Ankh-Morpork, a city on the Disc. It's also one of the best. The City Watch, in its initial incarnation, was an homage to those no-name soldiers, troopers and other various cannon-fodder that inhabit adventure...
Published on March 15 2002 by David Roy

1.0 out of 5 stars This series needs to lie fallow for about a decade
In yet another installment of the interminable Discworld series, Terry Pratchett describes Ankh-Morpork's war with a better-armed and better-prepared neighbor. Though he was once the funniest author writing, Jingo shows further degeneration in Pratchett's creativity and ability, probably the result of seriously overfarming the series.
Pratchett has reached the...
Published on March 8 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK book, Feb. 9 2001
"the_halberdier" (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jingo (Mass Market Paperback)
I have to confess that I find this one of Pratchett's weaker efforts, although it is still a good read. Although he always has some fairly deep and philosophical messages in his writing, they are usually so well hidden by the humour that you don't realise they are there. In "Jingo", I found there to be a bit less humour than normal and, as a result, the political undertones to the book rather stood out sometimes.
Don't get me wrong -- Pratchett's message (at its most basic level, without spoiling any of the plot, that war is silly) is quite profound, but it is rather jarring when it appears, uncovered, in parts of a book that is ostensibly a comedy. I usually love the Guards series of books the most ("Guards, Guards" is possibly one of his best books), but I feel that this is probably the weakest of them. It is most like "Feet of Clay" but does not have as much suspense.
Still, a worthwhile read and a good book for a rainy day.

5.0 out of 5 stars But By Jingo..., June 29 2000
This review is from: Jingo (Mass Market Paperback)
(Note, this is based on the British Version, and if there are some differences, bear with me...) War, greed, politics, underhanded schemes, a Leonardo Da Vinci-like. This book has it all. I'd have to say this is one of my favorites of my many Discworld novels. It rates to me on a level of Feet of Clay and Men at Arms. Commander Vimes, the ever reluctant gentleman, and his new pocket orginizer add an interesting insight into the ever famous "Trousers of Time". The Patrician's foresight and amazing ingenuity is shown fully in this novel, a rarity to see because of his position. With Reg Shoe being brought into the Watch (remember him from Reaper Man?), the wide range of previously used characters, including the minor character Dorfl from Soul Music and Detritus from many of the previous novels, is extended. An enjoyable read, and quite insightful... if you can stop laughing enough to look into it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another witty and thought provoking book., Feb. 5 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Jingo (Mass Market Paperback)
Before the publication of this book, channel four in Britain did an interview with Terry. He said this book was about "the pointlessness of war". For me, this beautifully somes up the book. It is amusing, in a subtle way, and occasionally warrants an out burst of laughter, but not often. That would be too vulgar. Just a smile is sufficient. It is also amazingly thought provoking . It makes me wonder, as with all Terry's books, whether it is secretly based on some unsuspecting war in the depths of history. I can imagine the author laughing at us for thinking he made it up. I think Terry Pratchett is one of the most readable authors in print today, even forever. He once said he "writes for anyone who can hold the books". I think this means anyone aged 10 to 100 can read them.
Ralph Evins, Age 14.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jingo: The Watch's Novel, April 29 2001
This review is from: Jingo (Mass Market Paperback)
Jingo is the book of Discworld firsts: Ankh-Morpork goes to war (with stupidly named battleships), and the Watch leave "the Citie of 1000 surprises" (according to the Merchant's Guild). Jingo, a thrilling book, is one of the best of the later publications in the series. It includes laughter, as Nobby is transformed into an exotic strip-dancer, and of course, the thrill of our very own Ankh-Morpork taking on Klatch, and other baddies...
Oh, and Leonard da Quirm invents a tin boat that's meant to SINK! We can let him off because he's a genius, I suppose. The watch are as funny as ever, and Commander Vimes is yet again living on his wits.
Jingo is a book that will keep you on the edge, and rules supreme over The Truth and The 5th elephant. And it's on paperback too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Fun But . . ., Dec 8 1999
Elyon (Emerald City, Inland Empire, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jingo (Mass Market Paperback)
I recently read Terry Pratchett for the first time through an advanced reader's copy of "The Fifth Element." I greatly enyoyed that book and immediately went out and purchased"Jingo." While to a large degree similar--though I felt the former to be better plotted and more tightly written--I found the similarities here beginning to wear thin midway through the book. It wasn't that I was bored, or found Pratchett's writing lacking in inventiveness, but that his use of plot devices were already becoming familiar. Not a good sign, if a reflection upon the other 23 Discworld titles. I think I'll give Pratchett a rest; perhaps after a few months the next title I read will appear fresher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intollerance is a bad leader, Jan. 6 2002
Gert (Beerta, Groningen Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jingo (Mass Market Paperback)
It's been a while that I read the book, but thinking of the events that happened lately, I think that anyone who knows the story, knows also that it can happen in reality. A war between two countries and the intollerance against the others. As I had read the book I saw it as a very funny book, leaders making decisions that can and will go absolutely wrong, some poor guys who have to follow the orders and the intollerance against the others, normally living in peace next to each other. But then I didn't realize that someday it would happen in reality. We can only hope that there will be also a real Commander Vimes. In the book he was a strong person, showing that intollerance was a bad leader

5.0 out of 5 stars Terry Pratchett shows his true ability once again, Dec 1 1999
This review is from: Jingo (Mass Market Paperback)
In the latest edition of the series involving Commander Vimes and crew, quality co-exists with quantity. By this I mean that this great read will keep you reading for awhile. Don't worry though, it will keep you wanting more. There are plenty of jokes that'll keep you laughing too. One of my favorite things about this book are the characters. Their personalities are so unique and in-depth, it made me almost miss them when I had finished. The plot is good too, with many different parts that come together in the end. If you like this one, you'll like its predecessors such as "Feet of Clay" and "Men at Arms". There is no question this book gets five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Pratchett Novel, Feb. 22 2002
This review is from: Jingo (Audio Cassette)
What can I say? I finished reading this book about a year ago and still pick it up again to read it. I absolutely adore this book. The character development is fantastic and we finally get to see Lord Vetinari on a much more *human* level. In some rather funny circumstances, as well.
Vimes is a pleasure to read about, as well. I love all AMCW (Ankh-Morpork City Watch, for the uneducated) books and am a huge fan of Mr. Pratchett.
I've read over the other reviews and am frankly rather surprised that people thought it was weaker than 'Feet of Clay.' I thought this was funnier and more attention-grabbing than 'Feet of Clay.' Overall, a good read and well worth the money.

Jingo
Jingo by Terry (1948-) Pratchett (Hardcover - 1997)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.41