Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen All-New Kindle Paperwhite Deal of the Day - The Beatles in Mono 14LP Vinyl Box Set SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(3 star).Show all reviews
on August 31, 2001
Death always makes me feel a bit melancholy.
laugh all you want, but when I read about how Susan
laughed at the swing he tried to make for her it brought tears to my eyes...
I absolutely love Pratchetts work. I also love music
so I was ready to love this book.
but, what can I say? it was kinda boring- not one
of his best. there wasn't enough plot for 380 pages.
and the ending was a bit hazy. I'm not even sure
what happened there.
but still, 3 stars on the Pratchett scale is about
5 stars on any other scale.
better buy Small Gods or Carpe Jugulum instead, and save that one for later!
on December 11, 2000
This is my first venture into realms of Terry Pratchett and his Discworld. And, well, I'm not sure what to think. Explaining the plot is also difficult because, well, any plot about a band where the pianist is a orangutan (..a librarian by profession!) and the Grim Reaper joins the Foreign Legion leads one to believe that the novel Soul Music and the term 'plot' are mutually exclusive. No one will ever confuse this book as being an example of literature.
It seems that Terry Pratchett has written lots of silly jokes and satiric observations, some of which are quite funny, loosely tied into a very absurd story. Either you'll love it or hate it. I'm perhaps the exception where I think the likes of Terry Pratchett are best served as a humour columnist (satirist) for a newspaper, for example, rather than as a novelist. Soul Music does drag on. It's sort of like listening to the class clown in grade school; in small doses it's great, but after a while .. SHUT UP!!
Perhaps Soul Music is the best way for you to decide on whether you think Terry Pratchett is a god or a man with a misplaced talent.
on August 19, 2000
As a humor writer and as a novelist, Terry Pratchett has his ups and downs, with ERIC being the most complete failure among his 20-odd novels. SOUL MUSIC is not at the bottom, but it is not far above. Generally, any Pratchett novel featuring the character Death is disappointing, but this one has major problems with ALL its characters, none of whom ever come to life even for a moment. There is really no plot, no characterization, no meaningful action, and at the end there's a non-ending perilously close to "why, it was all a dream."
Each of Pratchett's novels takes on a specific feature of our own world, and the closer the feature is to mass media, the worse the novel is. MOVING PICTURES (about the film industry) was bad, SOUL MUSIC (about the popular music industry) is even worse. The satire has little bite and almost no point, as if Pratchett were so offended by these media (as am I for that matter) that he can hardly bear to dissect them effectively.
on June 13, 1998
I'm surprised to see so many good reviews here; I thought it was pretty feeble. I mean, it's not *bad*--it's still Pterry--but I certainly wouldn't call it one of his best. It's one of his based-on-reality ones, like Moving Pictures, only more so; it's just Buddy Holly on the Discworld.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
We return to Death in this Discworld edition, by Terry Pratchett, which is a re-examination of the hell-spawned musical instrument, and a spoof on rock and roll.

Light-hearted, undemanding, there are some moments of chuckling, and generally entertaining escapism.