5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy's appealing "dark side.", Feb. 15 2008
S. Peters (Calgary, AB) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lies of Locke Lamora (Paperback)
Scott Lynch has a way with words reminiscent of George R.R. Martin; he creates a gritty world full of colorful and multifaceted characters. The plot is centralized in one city, a location fraught with intrigue and enough history to fill volumes with. There's an underbelly to the city, of course, which we are thrust into as we follow the cunning Locke Lamora's rise to infamy and his ultimate quest for revenge.

One of the charms of this book is the way in which Lynch tells the story; this is anything but a straight forward narrative. Throughout the "main plot" we are told intermittently about the history of Locke Lamora, his admittance into the criminal organization known as "The Gentlemen Bastards", and his training in the art of theft. Each of the characters presented is beautifully fleshed out, with their own histories, agendas and motivations, making for a believable and engrossing novel.

If you're a fan of grittier fantasy - gods, thieves, plot and intrigue, and (of course) fantastic story telling - then this is the novel for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story; disappointing ending, Sept. 21 2009
S. Lavigne (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lies of Locke Lamora (Paperback)
Even if his name appears on the front page of this book, I'll try not to mention George R.R. Martin in my review (oops! too late). Associating new authors with well known and established fantasy authors no doubt helps in selling books, but I find that this business practice is usually misleading such as in the present case.

The world created by the author is inspired by Italian city-states of the late Middle-Age. If it was not of the involvement of a mage, this novel could have easily been categorized as a fiction instead of a fantasy novel. This book can be read as a stand alone novel, and its story follows a single storyline.

The main character, Locke Lamora, is a con artist. The story focuses on the cleverness of Lamora and his ability to conceive bold plans and to improvise his way out of trouble. What is really interesting is that the reader is not left in the black with regard to Lamora's plans and motivations. As such, as a reader you feel like you are being part of his plans instead of only being a spectator of their outcome.

I however find that the ending was rather disappointing. This book shines because of the personality of its characters, and the events in the end are triggered by actions that were rather out of character (this is especially true for the mage mentioned above, but also for Lamora). Despite the ending, this novel is an 'absolute must read' for its entertainment value, and as such I give it five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lies of Locke Lamora, Sept. 8 2014
Rose (Saint John, NB, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
For the first quarter of this story, all I kept thinking was "What's wrong with me? Everyone loves this book but I'm bored to death". It was filled with so much description of the town, the people, the clothing, etc that I actually had to put it down several times and force myself to pick it back up. I was so bored my mind started wandering, then I had to re-read what was boring me in case I missed something. I even read two other books during this period just to clear my mind.

I say this to prepare you because after that it becomes amazing. Many other reviews compare it to Ocean's Eleven and The Godfather. I totally agree that there are many similarities but this is so much more than those stories. The intricacies of the plot are incredible. Lynch must have spent a year just planning the story out before he wrote it.

This is the story of Locke Lamora, or at least it's the story of his best scheme so far, except fate throws a few wrenches into the works (which didn't happen in Ocean's Eleven). Locke is a thief with a gang known as the Gentlemen Bastards, in a town full of gangs who are ultimately overseen by the Capa. He doesn't directly control the gangs in what they do but they have to pay a percentage of their take and follow his rules to be able to stay. He's the "Godfather". The story stops in several places to flashback (they are all titled Interlude) to Locke's youth and how he got to where he is now.

It was very entertaining (after the aforementioned first quarter) and I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is The Book Everybody Else Should Be Reading!, June 9 2014
This review is from: Lies of Locke Lamora (Paperback)
This book combines all the elements of fantastic fantasy, thoughtful, provocative and characters that you really root for. Scott Lynch has many great stories ahead of him.

4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, May 18 2014
This review is from: Lies of Locke Lamora (Paperback)
This author had me hooked after only a few pages in. Definitely a new talent worth following. Right up there with Abercrombe, Weeks, Sanderson, Brett and Esslemont.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it tons !, March 11 2014
can't wait for more from this guy ! one of the best I have read in years.
couldn't put it down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic story., May 9 2013
I absolutely loved this book. Every time I thought the story was starting to wind down a bit there was another plot twist; another major conplication. And each time the characters dealt with it in a logical and exciting way. I wish there had been a map to reference, but oh well, can't have everything.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy thieves, Feb. 9 2010
Brian Ashe "Fantast" (Ottawa, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lies of Locke Lamora (Paperback)
A welcome addition to the "Rough Fantasy" genre, along with the likes of Esslemont and Erikson, or Martin. Fewer main characters (basically the Gentleman Bastards) and a slightly less fully developed world. Still, very entertaining, good character development, and a very nice treatment of alchemy/biochemistry. I am waiting for the next instalment.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best fantasy books ever!!!, Jan. 24 2011
This review is from: Lies of Locke Lamora (Paperback)
Scott Lynch, and therefore his characters, are extremely clever. His plot is intricate but not needlessly difficult to follow or convoluted. This book will appeal to fans of Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher), it is fast paced, has violent action and fighting, but is not gory or sadistic, and the characters are interesting and loveable. This book does not try to make some grand message about life or humanity, which I think has been done to death and I am not a fan of. It is just an action packed, fast paced roller coaster thrill ride, I cannot wait to read the next 3 in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars A splash of objectivity, Aug. 2 2010
This review is from: Lies of Locke Lamora (Paperback)
Before writing my own review, I was compelled to read the others, and I was quite surprised at the different opinions expressed regarding this book. In light of this, I thought it might perhaps be useful to offer some of my own thoughts on this matter. I do agree with one review, a map would have been helpful, strictly for visualization of course; I was not terribly worried about it though. As was noted in other reviews, the geographical area covered by the book is quite small, but more importantly; this was not a story about the city, but about its interesting and varied denizens. I also thought the use of profanity was both cunning and humorous, especially when the author used it to display the contrast between Locke's breed and the noble elite. One thing that was not mentioned in the other reviews that I think deserves some notice was the use of metaphor by the author; they were quite colourful, and I found myself laughing out loud on more than a couple occasions. I only had two problems with this story from beginning to end. The first, somewhere in the middle of the story; the main character made some very silly mistakes that did not suit his demonstrated abilities at other points in the story. At these points, the facade dropped a little, exposing the steel girders holding the story up, a little anticlimactic. My other main problem was that I spent most of my spare moments for two days reading that bloody book when I should have been getting my own work done. Over all it was an excellent story with very little in the way of defects; I would recommend it to anyone who likes good fiction, regardless of the genre.

Lies of Locke Lamora
Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (Paperback - Feb. 1 2007)
Used & New from: CDN$ 4.64