So I was in a bookstore and I had to kill some major time and that is how I came across Harris' southern vampire novels. I had never heard of them before so I thought I would try the first one out. Well I read it in a day and went back to the bookstore and picked up the of the series that was availiable.

This book introduces us to Harris' heroine Sookie...
Published on Feb. 8 2007 by Kelly Brianna

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit dull
I decided to read this series after seeing the Tv show based on the books. It was an ok read but the characters seemed really wooden and unlikeable so I doubt i'll be reading any more of them.
Published 18 days ago by ravenliz

4.0 out of 5 stars A fresh and interesting look at the world of the supernatural, Feb. 8 2007

This book introduces us to Harris' heroine Sookie Stackhouse, a beautiful waitress in a small town bar. Not only does Sookie live in a world where vampires have recently been agknowledge as existing and are open to the public, she also has the gift/curse of being able to read people's minds.

I don't want to give anymore away but I would say that any fan of the supernatural should read this book, especially if you like your stories modern and with a sense of humour.

Currently I'm reading the second book in the series, so I can't really verify that the rest of the books are any good. But if they follow in the footsteps of Dead Until Dark, I think I will enjoy them just as much.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit dull, July 7 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, Oct. 7 2013
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I found this book, just OK. I like the central characters but unfortunately it just didn't grab my full attention

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and quick read, Oct. 1 2013
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I enjoyed the easy style of the author. It was a fun and addictive read. Fans of the show, the story is somewhat different and wouldnt spoil many suprises.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charlane Harris dos it Again!, April 12 2012
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Couldn't put the book down! Charlain brings the characters of Bon Temps to life so vividly. Laurell K, Hamilton watch out!

3.0 out of 5 stars More "Love at First Bite" than Anne Rice, May 16 2004
Brett Benner (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
What this book has going for it is great gobs of Southern charm in the guise of its heroine Sookie Stackhouse, a small town Louisiana cocktail waitress who has this unfortunate gift of being able to read minds. Then she meets Bill, and can't read a thing he's thinking,which is a delight in her eyes.Her inability to read him is tied to the fact that he's a vampire, which in Sookies world is as common as any other race, creed, or national origin. They are referred to as "fangs" versus "humans", and it's not long before she's head over heels in love with him. The problem starts when bodies begin to pile up around town, and Sookie begins to fear for her life.
Sookie is a disarming and utterly charming character, and for me is what makes the book unique.Bill seems an interesting guy, but there's not much to him besides his lust/love for Sookie, but I'm imagining more will be revealed in subsequent books.Overall I found the tone of the book hard to classify; Is it a romance novel with an underworld twist, or a mystery novel with a romantic undercurrent? Either, both, I don't know. Whatever it is, it's amusing and worth reading providing you're not expecting Anne Rice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Utterly shallow and one-dimensional!, May 12 2009
Elizabeth Allan (Aurora, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I was looking forward to reading this book because it was so highly reviewed on the site and because the HBO Series "True Blood" seemed to have garnered quite a good following. Little did I know that this book would be one of the most unenjoyable books I've ever had the misfortune of reading. Sookie is shallow, completely useless, and utterly one-dimensional. Any real thoughts that she has are hidden away from the reader and her decisions about some very real, potentially very unsettling choices seem to be made in the blink of an eye.

Supporting characters are also undeveloped with nothing interesting or unique about them. Where's the danger? The intrigue? The internal dialogue that must come from wrestling with sleeping with a vampire?

This book will go on my "do not ever recommend to anyone at any time for any reason" list...

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm a waittress, May 16 2010
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
Urban fantasy usually takes place in, you know, urban areas. Cities, big towns, and places where vampires and weres creep in dank alleys.

But Charlaine Harris took a slightly different approach in the first novel of the Sookie Stackhouse series, "Dead Until Dark." While it has many of the genre staples -- werebeasties, vampires and superspeshul humans -- this series is solidly entrenched in warm Southern charm, humor and mellow mystery.

In an alternate world where vampires have revealed themselves to the populace (courtesy of bottled faux-blood), waitress Sookie Stackhouse can read minds, which is more of a curse than a blessing.

But when she encounters vampire Bill Compton, she discovers that she is unable to read vampire minds. Unfortunately she's run afoul of some vile people who want to cruelly drain Bill of his blood, so she charges out to save "the vampire Bill" from his silver bonds and blood-draining. They're mutually intrigued, and an odd little romance starts to bloom.

But then Sookie's life is overturned by some supernatural personal problems -- a coworker dies with fang marks on her thigh, and her grandmother is viciously muredred. And as she tries to find the murderer, Sookie finds that the supernatural world is a lot more complicated -- and close to home -- than she ever dreamed.

"Dead Until Dark" does a great job of avoiding the usual pitfalls of urban fantasy -- it's not all doom'n'gloom, gothic pomposity and angst. In fact, Harris has a fun time spoofing it with the wannabe-seductive, cheesily-dressed "fang-bangers ". Instead, it's soaked in down-home Southern charm, the pleasant little town of Bon Temps, and a generally mellow, relaxed atmosphere.

Of course, it doesn't stop Harris from piling on gruesome murders and some truly nasty people, both vampire (the vampire gang crashing at Bill's house) and human (the "Rats"). Her style is warm, steady and mildly tongue-in-cheek ("the traditional capes and tuxes for the men to many Morticia Adams ripoffs among the females"), but there are some decidedly bleak moments and moral dilemmas woven in there.

Sookie is a likable character -- an unpretentious and no-nonsense waitress who doesn't go looking for trouble, but whose telepathic talents often draw it to her. And Harris handles some horrible topics through her, such as her childhood molestation and her bickering with her slutty, not-too-bright brother.

The supporting characters are also pretty well-drawn -- her kindly boss Sam turns out to have his own supernatural secret (werecollies!), the gorgeous golden Viking Eric, and her lovable Grandmother. Bill is a rather bland character as love interests go, but Harris does give him a great sense of chilly "otherness" and great age ("It's hard for me to get used to young ladies with so few clothes on").

"Dead Until Dark (Southern Vampire Mysteries, No. 1)" is a solid, pleasantly down-home little urban fantasy, with lots of vampires, the odd shapeshifter, and some nasty little murder mysteries. Fun little urban fantasy book.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but not as good as expected..., May 8 2009
Why Not (Toronto, ON, Can) - See all my reviews
Having just finished reading this, the first book in the Sookie Stackhouse series, I will say that I do intend to pick up at least a couple of the sequels ... however I also found Dead Until Dark to be quite lacking in a few key areas for me. First and foremost, I get easily disappointed with a read when the characters act in ways that just don't seem natural, when their motives, behaviour, choices, thoughts etc. just don't add up to what I might expect a real, live person might do. I found this was frequently the case with Charlaine Harris' writing, as I just wasn't convinced of the legitimacy of Sookie's emotions, reactions, decisions and considerations in many cases... I did enjoy the fiery chemistry as she eased into a relationship with Bill, the vampire, but then I felt that his character could have used more developing on a deeper level; I get that vampires are generally cold-hearted, for the most part lacking in the human emotions that they have long since left behind, but as we got to know Bill a little more throughout the book, it would have been nice to see more dimension to his ultimately rather flat personality. There was some decent background on his former life, but I feel like Harris needed to open him up to us a little bit more... On the plus side, the fictional world in which vampires are an 'accepted' albeit taboo part of society provided a unique and interesting backdrop to the story, and I'll look forward to learning more of that world's intricacies as the series progresses.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Expected, Jan. 16 2004
Andrea Redich "funnymom29" (Monroe, Michigan United States) - See all my reviews
It might have been a mistake to read this book after reading the Anita Blake series. I bought all three Charlaine Harris books and read them all in a row. I was more than a little disappointed. Some people may have found the books amusing....I didn't. I enjoy a good vampire book and found these books silly and well.........boring. Pretty much a waste of time. Sorry.

Dead Until Dark
Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (Paperback - Oct. 1 2011)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.40