5.0 out of 5 stars great
The book was boring at first but then I was absorbed into it.
I need 7 more words so bye.
Published 3 months ago by moo

3.0 out of 5 stars Dont think i wrote this review because i wanted to
Hmmm... Now what can I say about this Nancy Farmer novel "The Ear, The Eye, and The Arm." Well, for starters, its a book. A science Fiction Book. Yep, nice summary there. But youre not here for the summary, you want my opinion. And if you dont, I dont care, just keep scrolling down.
Published on May 8 2004 by Esteban

5.0 out of 5 stars great, Jan. 5 2014
The book was boring at first but then I was absorbed into it.
I need 7 more words so bye.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Adventure, Dec 4 2008
Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
This is a wonderful children's story, woven with myths and legends from Africa. It is a tale of a secret walled garden, three special children, a man-child, a holy innocent who helps to guide them, and three detectives Ear, Arm and Eye who help to track the children down.

It is the story of becoming, and of belonging, and of finding your place and purpose in the world. Incredibly well-written, it will keep most non-readers glued to the pages.

(First written as Journal Reading Notes in 1999.)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm, July 11 2004
When three children of a very important general run away from their machine-runned home in futuristic Zimbabwe, they are kidnapped by gang members, Knife and Fist. They are now at the mercy of the monstrous She Elephant, the leader of an underground world. The children, Tendai, Rita, and Kuda are made to mine for plastic, a now hard-to-come by material.

When the childrens father learn of their kidnap, he and his wife hire The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm, three dectectives with a business of the same name. The Ear has great hearing abilities, the Eye can see from far away distances, and Arm has a strange pyschic power. Ideal detectives, right?

Join Tendai, Rita, and Kuda in this suspensful and sometimes comedic book. Nancy Farmer is by far my favorite sf/fantasy author(Along with J.K. Rowling, Susan Cooper, Tolkien, and Ursula K. LeGuin

5.0 out of 5 stars the best book ive read, June 3 2004
three kids traped in there house. never seen the world beyond there robot runed manchen, ecscape away from there high in power general dad, to see the world in there own eyes.
I think that this book shows corage, stupidedy, and how it is when you are suddenly in a whole differnt world of people. I would recomend this book to anyone and everyone. Nomader what age you are you will learn something new about life and its strugles in this book. You can read it over and over, and never want to put it down. I would put this book into my favoret book collection and i think that you should too.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Arm Is Awesome, May 23 2004
Chalice "Jessica" (Bloomington, IL, Land of the Corn) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book I read a couple of weeks ago. It takes place in futuristic Zimbabwe. 3 kids of an important politician in the country decide to go on a field trip to explore the outside world and end up disappearing. Now it's up to the Ear, the Eye, and the Arm to track them down. But it won't be as easy as they thought. On their journey they'll encounter a woman the size of an elephant, people who still believe that evil monsters lurk in their forest, and a greedy woman who hosts a lot of tea parties. Not to mention the REAL bad guys...
This is an excellent read for HS or MS students. Although older people may like it too. It's very well-written. I especially love Nancy Farmer's bio in the back... She seems like quite a character. I checked this out from the library, but I'll probably buy it, I'd read it again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dont think i wrote this review because i wanted to, May 8 2004
Esteban (wellignton, florida) - See all my reviews
Well, truth be told, reading is not my passion, and to go through a three hundred plus page book isnt my personal idea of fun, but this book wasnt half bad. So you've got your three rich children in the future who dont get out much, so they want to go to the city, alright, why not. But that wasn't why I decided to read it, how many times do you find a book set in the future thats not placed in New York City. I mean c'mon, seriously now you know its true. At least N.Farmer decided to put it in Zimbabwe, Africa in 2194. And how about those detectives, mutants, and not some guy in a trenchcoat. Sounds good already, doesn't it? But sadly, besides those points and a few others, this book follows the line of kids runaway, kids get kidnapped, kids miss mommy, daddy sends for help, hero saves the day. We're living in the future now for goodness sake, couldnt the kids at least have been abducted by aliens or something?
But don't think that it gets so much better after that. This book ran on, and on, and well, on. And I'm not just saying that because im too lazy to read an entire book or something along those lines. Read the book for yourself and youll see what I mean, the kids get so close to home, but darn, something just pops up out of nowhere and messes it up all over. Sure, you call them "super, duper, exciting twists and turns!", but alas, I can only take so much.
I must admit, there are the good details and ideas, a couple funny lines, and a talking monkey. So maybe I was being to Harsh on the General Matsika's little kiddies, but maybe I'm to harsh on everything. I really didn't mind the length all that much, but It did take awhile for the action to get going. But a slow beginning doesn't stop most people from continuing, so don't let it get to you. There will be plenty of mutants, robots, and plastic mines ahead. So be patient Young Grasshopper. Of Course, the settings and characters stand out too. Waste dumps to mansions, this book takes you there. Not to mention those character designs, although I thought if you were born with a huge disfiguring ear it would just get in the way, but no! Use it to solve mysteries! I was referring to The Ear, The Eye, and The Arm obviously, the title and our detectives, my kind of mutants.
So should you read this? The real question is, are you that bored? Just kidding, I'd call this a prime candidate for book report material and good catch for just something to read (if you're in to that sort of thing, that is.) Now sit back, pop open a cold one, and let the reading begin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, March 27 2004
By A Customer
I can't really understand why this didn't win the newbery medal. Do the people who give out the medal enjoy torchering Nancy Farmer by giving the medal to books that aren't as good? Thid book was great, yet walk two moons won, which was okay, and then a 2002 honer, The House of the Scorpian, which is even better than this lost to a single shard, which was also okay but not great like these two books. The book has its ups and its downs. It follows young children Tendai, Rita, and Kuda, three children of a general of Zimbabwe who are never really aloud to go anywhere. The steal out of the house and vanish. Their parents call in the strange detectives the ear, the eye, and the arm who are mutants to find the children, but the three kids stay one step out of their reach. The only complaint I have of this book is that it spend way too much time on the kids, who are pretty stupid and no matter how hard you try, you can never really like them. The ear the eye and the arm part of the story is far more interesting. These three characters are instantly likable and I wish the book spent more time on them. Kuda is one of the most annoying characters I have ever encountered in a book, but the futuristic parts of the story, and the storyline of these three detectives more than make up for the flaws. Be warned however that in the book about a hundred pages through the children will come to a place called resthaven which is like africa now, and is the most boring part of the book. You might get stuck on that part for a while. It's still a fantastic book which is the mark of a truly great author.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book of the Future, March 18 2004
By A Customer
This book has everything in it; bad guys, spirits, the cool detectives, the places the main character goes, everything! Tendai Matsika (13 years) tries to prove himself to his father but ends up taking the adventure of his life, shifting around from place to place, completing certain tasks while three detectives with super-cool powers try to save him. I used this book for a book project, and everyone loved it... LOVED it and wanted to borrow it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nancy Farmer: Sci-fi children's author extraordinaire, Jan. 1 2004
E. R. Bird "Ramseelbird" (Manhattan, NY) - See all my reviews
The best futuristic sci-fi tale for children set in Zimbabwe I've ever read. Which is unfair backhanded praise for a book that, in my opinion, should've been awarded the Newberry Award without question. Sometimes I like to pretend that I'm at a party and a savvy Hollywood producer comes up to me and asks for the number one children's book that should be optioned for a movie. Batta bing, I recommend this book. In it, you have a well-developed plot containing characters of amazing depth. No two-dimensional stick figures for this children's novel. The setting is more than unique. It is unparalleled. Farmer's ingenuity has created a book that speaks volumes. Not only is it an enjoyable edge-of-your-seat mystery, but there's a distinctly moral core to the book. It's the rare story that can make a person actually enjoy a section on (believe it or not) "courage". If your children can read, give them this book. If your children cannot read, give them this book anyway and teach them to do so with it. There is no higher praise I can give.

5.0 out of 5 stars anonymus reviewer, Dec 14 2003
By A Customer
She has woven into this book a story with unmatchable characters villains and creatures. It starts out in a boot camp like household in which a military-like father forces his kids to take his path and go into the army. A kind person called the mellower happens to hypnotize there parents into handing over there I.D's and credit cards excess money e.t.c. And the children escape into a future (2194)Zimbabwe city. Soon after they get kidnapped and turned over to an evil old queen who turns them into slaves. The mother of the kidnapped children after hearing her children escaped, called 3 detectives called the ear the eye and the arm. They all have been gifted supernatural powers in which to slueth with. Will they find the children and rescue them or be turned into slaves themselves? You'll have to buy the book and read on to find out.

ARRAY(0xb0010150)

The Ear, the Eye and the Arm
The Ear, the Eye and the Arm by Nancy Farmer (Paperback - 1994)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01