5.0 out of 5 stars Ann Rinaldi is Wonderful

1.0 out of 5 stars 1 star is generous
Published on March 10 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars 1 star is generous, March 10 2004
By A Customer
why oh why this book was written is beyond me... the characters are obnoxious, the action dull, and the plot indecipherable... who are we supposed to be following? we read it in an eighth grade history class and it may have been helpful with the understanding of the war of 1812 if the facts had not been lost to the love story (to which one heck of an artistic liscence was taken) and bizarre symbolism... save yourself the confusion (not to mention total waste of time) and AVOID THIS AT ALL COSTS!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, Terrible, And Any Other Adjectives For BAD., Jan. 7 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Second Bend in the River (Library Binding)
This book was horrifically terrible. We had to read it as an eighth grade class and everyone hated it no exceptions. Even the teachers who had read it said it was atrocious. Don't be fooled by others reviews this book didn't even deserve one star.

1.0 out of 5 stars This book is Torture!, Jan. 6 2004
Jo "baysiderulez" (In my own Little world) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Second Bend in the River (Library Binding)
Who wants to read a book with 278 pages if only the last 78 pages have excitement in them and leave you hanging after the last page? I believe that any author who has been through some kind of education could write a book that is exciting while still trying to get across the message that the author wants. EIGHTH GRADERS Be alert before your teachers try to pull this book on you it may be the worst book you have ever read in your life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ann Rinaldi is Wonderful, Sept. 29 2001
Amazon Customer (New England, USA) - See all my reviews
I love all her books, but the two I loved the most throughout all my reading were 'Time Enough for Drums', and this one, 'The Second Bend in the River'. I'm not really an historical romance buff, unless the romance is only part of a large web of historical detail and intriguing plot. These two stories, however, are almost all about the romance, and how the characters are affected by their love and the exciting times.
In this novel, a young girl Rebecca Galloway is growing up on the frontier. Relationships with the neighboring natives are tense: sometimes good, sometimes bad. She grows up in a household of brothers, learning to be self-sufficient and intelligent as well as attractive and feminine. It is this combination of qualities that draws Tecumseh, the legendary cheif who plans to unite the tribes to fight off the lying, cheating white government. Although he was there throughout her childhood, the age difference seems to be simply material and not worth thinking about.. in short, against all odds, they fall in love. When Rebecca is forced to make a choice between the dangerous and foreign life of Tecemseh's and her own "white" ways, things really start to get good.
However, at the end, I couldn't help but want to scream "You made the wrong decision!! Go back!!", even though the story works out so well as to completely make me love Rebecca's character, despite what I think was a poor choice on her part. Oh well, after reading the story, I couldn't help but understand, commiserate, and support Rebecca. I even thought she made the right choice after all.
I know I did, picking up this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Bittersweet romance and coming of age novel, Aug. 20 2001
By A Customer
"The Second Bend In The River" is about Rebecca Galloway, an Ohio settler in the late 18th-early 19th century, and her life from ages seven to sixteen. While the book is pitched as a historical romance novel, it's more of an examination of life in the frontier and Indian-White relations in the early days, before the tensions reached the fever pitch released in the War of 1812.
When Rebecca is seven, she meets Tecumseh, the fabled Shawnee chief. At first she is afraid of him and suspicious of Indians in general, but her family is relatively open minded and she grows to like him. She teaches him to read better and improve his grammar. While this is happening, the peace achieved in the 1790's is slowly deteriorating and relationships between the Indians and the settlers worsen. Rebecca's good friend, Nancy Maxwell, hates Indians because one of them killed her baby a long time ago.
The main characters of "The Second Bend In The River" are mostly Rebecca's family and the other people in the town. Tecumseh is really a supporting character. That's one of the problems ... the book can't decide to be a historical fiction novel about the Indian conflict in the West or a love story. The relationship between Tecumseh and Rebecca isn't very well written- although we can tell when Rebecca starts to fall in love with him, it doesn't seem really genuine. Also, some of the writing is a little sappy and cliched, for example, when Rebecca wishes her name was "Break In Parts", because that's what her heart does around Tecumseh.
All those flaws aside, "The Second Bend In The River" is an interesting slice of frontier life in America's younger days. The historical detail, characterizations and good pace keep you interested all the way through. The ending is particularly poignant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Encore!, July 28 2001
By A Customer
I finished this book in one night, and it was wonderful. I think Rebecca Galloway isn't like the other charaters in Ann Rinaldi's books. She has a lot of character. Rebecca is seven when she first meets "Tecumtha". She is frightened of him. He senses this and gives her a silver bracelet and they begin to become friends. The friendship between Rebecca and "Tecumtha" grows into love. Meanwhile, Rebecca's family is growing apart. Her brothers are getting married; her little sister, Ann, grows priggish. Finally, Rebecca must make a choice between her family and the man that she loves. This book has a lot of descriptive writing. Ann Rinaldi has done it again, and Dear Reader, I encourage you to read this book too. You will not regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb, May 23 2001
By A Customer
This was the first Ann Rinaldi book I'd ever read, and I loved it. It was the factually-based story of Rebecca Galloway, a pioneer girl who actually lived. Amid the love story of her and Tecumseh are woven details about the Galloway family and pioneer life in Ohio. At the age of seven, she met Tecumseh, an Indian chief and family friend. He was quickly charmed by the "little straw hair girl". He visits the Galloways many times over the years. As a preteen, she falls in love with him. Her feelings grow with her, although he's old enough to be her father. When she's 16, he asks for her hand in marriage. Her dream has come true. But can Rebecca abandon her pioneer life to live in an Indian village? Read the book
I loved the book and couldn't put it down. I liked the author's style and word choice. Rebecca's growing passion for Tecumseh was described especially well. (we teenage girls know the feeling, don't we?) In a way, I felt as if I were falling in love with him too. One of my favorite scenes was when he gave her a canoe he'd made for her birthday and taught her to use it. He told her not to row to the second bend in the river without him there. This second bend was a good symbol for their progression to the romantic stage in their relationship. He didn't want her to fall in love with him until he was there again to show her his own love.
Overall, this book was enthralling and I'd reccomend it to any historical romance buff.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, Oct. 19 2000
By A Customer
What a wonderful book. Beautifully written, and very romantic! I would recomend it to anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Family Legends, Oct. 18 1999
By A Customer
I only looked at the book, THE SECOND BEND IN THE RIVER, because it had an interesting title. When I read the summary on the back cover, and I saw the name Rebbeca Galloway. Rebbeca Galloway is my Sixth Great Aunt, and Andrew Galloway is my Sixth Great Grandfather. After reading this book I learned more about the times she lived in and some of the hardships she may have faced. The fact that she was in love with Tecumpseh has always been a family legend. But in the legend, Rebbeca proposed to Tecumpseh. I thought this book was very beautifully written and I enjoyed it very much.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book!, Aug. 24 1999
By A Customer
Great book for anyone who likes romance and Historical fiction. One of Rinaldi's best!

The Second Bend in the River
The Second Bend in the River by Ann Rinaldi (Library Binding - April 1 1997)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01