5.0 out of 5 stars Past and present meet to decide the future of Pern
Published on June 26 2004 by Jeanne Tassotto

1.0 out of 5 stars Am I the Only One Who Had MAJOR Problems with this Book?
I seem to be in the minority, but I had major, major problems with ALL THE WEYRS OF PERN and I fear this book has really ruined Pern and destroyed what made it special. Stuff that bugged me (SPOILERS):
Published on May 23 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Past and present meet to decide the future of Pern, June 26 2004
Jeanne Tassotto (Trapped in the Midwest) - See all my reviews
This 1991 entry into the long running series begins with the rediscovery of the computer left by the first settlers to Pern. This computer, named AIVAS, complete with its vast store of knowledge, had managed to stay operational in the intervening 2,500 plus years since the settlers had been forced to flee the original settlement. In that time the settlers had developed a new society and found methods to deal with the menacing Thread that periodically attacked their world but had lost many of the technologies that their ancestors had brought with them from Earth. Now that AIVAS was available to them the people of Pern would have the opportunity to regain this knowledge, but at what cost to their society?
Favorite characters from previous novels are here, Jaxom and his white dragon Ruth, Master Harper Robinthon, dragonriders Lessa, F'Lar and their son F'lessan and numerous others. We see how the people and dragons of Pern adapt to the changes in their world and rise to met the challenges these changes have brought about.
For long time fans of the series there is a fear that this is the end of the saga but it appears that there are other entries writen more recently. In any case this is a must read for any fan of the series. It is not, however, a good place to start.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Story, Poor Continuity, Jan. 21 2003
wysewomon "wysewomon" (Paonia, CO United States) - See all my reviews
In _All the Weyrs of Pern_ the large cast of characters from the Dragonrider and Harper Hall books, with the help of the Ancient AI device unearthed at the end of _Renegades_, settle down to their ultimate task: Ridding Pern of Thread for once and for all.
I've read all the Pern books over and over since I first discovered them in eighth grade -- _Dragonquest_ was the first book I bought with my own money. In the main, I really enjoy them. Anne McCaffrey writes well and her ideas are very original, particularly in the earlier books in the series. Some of the later volumes have not thrilled me, however. _Renegades_ I found particularly unmoving, so I picked up ATW with some trepidation the first time. But this is the Dragonriders series at its best, with all the characters the reader has come to know and love facing challenges with fortitude and even humour.
I don't argue that McCaffrey is a great storyteller. She is at her best in situationally-driven stories (rather than character-driven), particularly those where her charcters are put in a new, alien and/or hostile environment where they must develop the skills to succeed in various tasks. This is part of what makes her Dragonrider series appealing to fans of straight science fiction as well as fans of fantasy. And as the basic theme of ATW, it makes for an absorbing read.
McCaffrey needs a continuity editor, however. As her world becomes more and more complex it seems she has trouble keeping track of the details. Unfortunately, I am the kind of person who is bothered by this.
Is Jancis a Mastersmith or a journeyman smith? She seems to be both, often in the same paragraph. And how did she come to be Fandarel's granddaughter when he formerly stated he had no wife, only his work? How did Sharra appear at landing to exchange a significant glance with Jancis, when before and after that single incident it was clearly stated she wasn't there at all? Why is Menolly telling AIVAS about her three children when in _Dolphins_ at a later date she is shown to be pregnant with only the second? How did Lord Oterel appear in _Dolphins_, long after the close of ATW, when he died before ATW ended? These are just some of the details that distracted me.
But, well, this is still a great book and one that really ties up the Pern series. I could only wish that Anne McCaffrey had ended here.

1.0 out of 5 stars Am I the Only One Who Had MAJOR Problems with this Book?, May 23 2001
By A Customer
1. THE MODERNIZING OF PERN. Do we really want a modern Pern? I don't know about everyone else, but I loved the medieval setting and dark atmosphere of DRAGONFLIGHT, the tension between dragonriders and Lord Holders, and especially reading about life in the Weyrs. Despite the title, this book was not actually about the Weyrs! What a shame that McCaffrey seems to be veering away from them.
2. TRASHING AND SLASHING OF BELOVED CHARACTERS FROM THE EARLIER BOOKS. Lessa as portrayed in the first book has always been my favorite Pern character. So why is it that with each successive Pern book Anne McCaffrey seems more and more determined to give her a bad name and ruin her? The characterization did not seem consistent to me. I also did not like or believe the way F'lar manipulated and lied to her. It was never his style before (he always treated Lessa as an equal and never underestimated her), and Lessa should be too clever to fall for it anyway -- since she is good at manipulating others herself. These two used to be one of SF's most dynamic couples. Does someone acutally prefer *this* version of F'lar and Lessa?
And lets not even mention Robinton. Do we really want Pern without Robinton in it? Pern without the Masterharper?
3. THE PREPOSTEROUSNESS OF THIS PLOT! Okay, they find a computer and it tells them *exactly* how to get rid of Thread! How convenient (Can you say "deus ex machina"?). Also, all these medieval people just learn to use computers and mass produce what they need? Yeah right. I can't even get my mom to use a computer and you want to tell me people who don't haven't even had electricity until now are going to catch on to using computers that fast?
And duplicating all they need in 4 years? With nothing going wrong?! When even NASA has had disasters? Starting from medieval technology? Um, I don't think so.
4. THE ERADICATION OF THREAD. Do we really want to read about Pern without Thread? Isn't the struggle to survive on Pern what makes this series compelling and dramatic? Doesn't it give the dragons and dragnriders their purpose? I would rather Thread was impossible to eradicate so we could have more dramatic stories about brave men and women battling Thread and struggling to survive on Pern.
5. WHY DOES JAXOM ALWAYS GET TO HAVE HIS CAKE AND EAT IT TOO? Seriously, isn't he supposed to be a Lord Holder? What the heck is he doing leading all the dragonrider missions? Why are F'lar and the other Weyrleaders letting Jaxom do their job? Doesn't he have a Hold to run?! And how come Lessa had to give up Ruatha Hold so she could be a dragonrider and now Jaxom gets to rule Ruatha and go to the Red Star while Lessa doesn't get to do either? This does not seem fair to me, especially since Ruatha belonged to Lessa's family and Jaxom's father murdered them.
I loved Jaxom as a little boy in DRAGONQUEST but ever since THE WHITE DRAGON he has seemed like a spoiled little rich boy to me... The dragonrider / Lord Holder thing could have been an interesting conflict and made a great character but instead Anne McCaffrey always lets him have his cake and eat it too, trashing F'lar, Lessa, F'lessan and others just so Jaxom can hog the spotlight. Ug.
6. WHAT HAPPENED TO THE WOMEN ON PERN? Have they all turned into Stepford Wives? Pern has always been a sexist society but usually there has been a Lessa, a Menolly or a Sharra somewhere in sight who would try to fight for freedom and equality. In this book it seems like all the men are running the show, and the women are staying home barefoot and pregnant! I never thought I would see the day.
7. A HUGE GAFFE / OVERSIGHT. A friend of mine pointed this one out: If the Dragonriders divided the virus into three batches and went back in time to the two long intervals to infect the Thread with it all those centuries ago, why has Thread been falling just as strongly? It should have been weakening all along centuries ago if the virus was starting to infect it.
All in all, I was really bummed by this book, which took eliminated so much of what made Pern special to me -- life in the Weyrs, conlficts between dragonriders and holders, Thread battles, F'lar and Lessa's spirit and heroism, Robinton's wonderful wit, the dark medieval atmosphere, strong women, plots with some credibility... I found ALL THE WEYRS OF PERN so depressing I have been afraid to read any more recent Pern books. If anyone else felt as I did, please post a review, so that I won't feel alone... I miss the old Pern so much!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Read McCaffrey's own caveat..., May 8 2001
Myron Mykyta (Long Beach, CA USA) - See all my reviews
First off, if you haven't read any of the previous novels (at least the Dragonflight, Dragonquest and White Dragon trilogy) in this series, you're missing something in background. This volume in the history of the Dragonriders of Pern is interesting in its own right but, as McCaffrey herself states, "there are certain licenses that an author...may take to produce a novel". This refers to the expediated rate of learning and technological innovation which takes place on Pern -- with Aivas' (an Artificial Intelligence computer) assistance. It's fun to imagine what might happen in such a situation and especially to consider the implications that mass technological changes might effect. Some of these issues come up and the forward-thinking tone wins out, inevitably. At that end, McCaffrey wrote this book by 1990, so some issues of AI and computer control were still fresh and more pressing. Worth reading within the sequence of the series. Otherwise, some holes and overly trite moments.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful ending to one most beloved series I've ever seen, March 14 2001
I recently started reading the Dragonriders of Pern series about two months ago. I picked up "DragonFlight" one day in the school's library and read the whole thing in three days and haven't stopped reading the Dragonrider books since. After reading the first three volumes and "The Renegades of Pern" (I suggest you read all of these first) I started reading "All the Weyrs of Pern." Being the Pern-addict I am now, I quickly became engrossed in the story line. With the promise of Thread to be forever gone for Pern's skies and many other rediscovered things that have been long been lost since the first people came to Pern. It makes for a solid story line and keeps the reader interested through out the book. All in all I think this is the prefect ending for McCaffrey's "Dragonriders of Pern". If you like being keep on the edge of your set wondering what's going to happen next, I think this book would be worth looking into. But do be warned, have a box of tissues for the ending. It's an unexpected tear jerker.

4.0 out of 5 stars a pretty great book, Oct. 9 1999
By A Customer
I've fallen in love with the Pern series ever since I read Dragonsinger. Since then I've read a lot of the other books in the series. I love them all. The characters are each very unique and different, with strong individual traits. I also enjoyed the complicated socio-political system they had on Pern, and the low tech atmosphere. This book proved to be very interesting, exciting, and well written. I was pleased to learn about AIVAS and a bit more about Pern's past history. While I'm very glad they erradicated thread, I'm also slightly disappointed that dragonriders will no longer have a major role. What will happen to the future of Pern now? And I was very sorry to read about Master Robinton's death. He was one of my favourite characters. I think I enjoyed these books better before. However, I still suggest that Pern lovers read this book, b/c maybe others will feel more thrilled in the triumph of a menace destroyed than I. All in all, it was still pretty great. I don't know...i just feel a little mixed-up about this book. It's good, but also kinda disappointing. That's the only reason I didn't give it 5 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hated it! My LEAST favorite McCaffrey book ever., May 26 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: All the Weyrs of Pern (Paperback)
Over fifteen years ago I fell in love with "Dragonflight" for its the medieval-like, low technology setting and especially for its the headstrong characters. I still love that world and those characters to this day, but you won't find them in "All the Weyrs of Pern."
"All the Weyrs of Pern" is the book in which McCaffrey put the last nails in the coffins of both the exciting world Pern once was, in the strong character of F'lar and the once indomitable character of Lessa. It's bad enough that the mystery and adversity that made Pern an enthralling world are eradicated along with the threads. Far worse is the destruction of what were once such bold, brave characters.
I threw the book across the room when F'lar plotted with Jaxom to keep Lessa from being there for the final battle with the threads. Who more than Lessa deserved to be there? If it weren't for her F'lar and Jaxom would not have even had the chance to be there.
Beginning with "Dragonquest" and "The White Dragon," McCaffrey has tried to turn Lessa into a shrill, bitchy character. Why? For no reason other than plot contrivance -- to allow F'nor and then Jaxom to take center stage, she trashes one of the most beloved characters in all of SF.
But in "All the Weyrs of Pern" it was Jaxom and F'lar that looked bad to me, doing what R'gul tried to do in "Dragonflight" -- keep Lessa ignorant and disempowered. So much for a strong female character! So much for a hero that was strong enough to want an equal partner instead of a weak-willed woman. F'lar was once one of my favorite characters, and in "Dragonquest" I even liked Jaxom, whom I can't stand to read about now.
This was the last Pern book I ever read. Frankly, I plan to try to forget I ever read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent culmination to years of storytelling, May 1 2003
Edie (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I found All the Weyrs to be the most satisfying of the newer Pern books written in the 90's. Here McCaffrey takes on a plotline set up in Renegades and DragonsDawn. The book details a lot of technology introduced by the computer Aivas which was uncovered at the end of Renegades. But somehow reading about the characters learning about technology is not incredibly dry but rather entertaining. One of my favorite aspects of McCaffrey's writing is the simple and sweet voices of the dragons in speech. Here, Aivas, the computer, takes on a persona that is more sophisticated than the dragons but equally sweet. The venture to rid Pern of Thread involves ventures into space, some of which made me mentally balk at going "between" to a space ship. Also the book introduces the future political upheavals and problems with the introduction of the new technologies. All of our favorite charactors are here, particularly Jaxom and Sharra, Robinton, Lytol and of course F'lar and Lessa.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adds closure, albeit sad, to the Pern series, Aug. 3 1998
By A Customer
First, don't intend on reading this unless you've been following the Pern series beginning with "Dragonflight" and "Dragonsong"--it wasn't meant to stand alone, but rather to add closure to the entire series (takes off right after "The Renegades of Pern"). "All the Weyrs of Pern" has one of the most emotional endings, and although sad, helps to really "end" the series. The entire book will maintain your interest, and is well written. Of course, the plan to eliminate Thread takes some imagination--but it seems plausible when you're reading it. One interesting thing is Ms. McCaffrey's exultation of Jaxom (rider of the white dragon Ruth), who was actually the evil Fax's child! That actually didn't sit well with me and was quite surprising. Altogether a good read, a must-read for devoted Pern series lovers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, but sad, April 6 2003
"shmichael10" (Atlanta, Georgia) - See all my reviews
In All The Weyrs of Pern, Flar and Lessa, in their exploration of the southern continant, come across Landing, the small city that the first colonists set up upon arrival on Pern. Later, due to a Volcanic eruption and thread, they moved to the northern continent. Unfortunatly, they had to leave Aivis, their voice-ativated artificial intellegence behind. Now they have found Aivis again, and, through the help of Aivis, and the cooperation of all the weyrs of Pern, they have a chance of ridding Pern of thread forever. But victory does not come freely and with the greatest loss, and some disagree . . . In my opinion, this is the perfect end to a series, although Dolphins of Pern is also very good. I highly recomend it to anyone who is interested in reading it, and anyone who isn't anyway.

All the Weyrs of Pern
All the Weyrs of Pern by Anne McCaffrey (Hardcover - Sept. 19 1991)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.78