Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Home, Kitchen and Garden Gift Guide

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
on January 21, 2003
In _All the Weyrs of Pern_ the large cast of characters from the Dragonrider and Harper Hall books, with the help of the Ancient AI device unearthed at the end of _Renegades_, settle down to their ultimate task: Ridding Pern of Thread for once and for all.
I've read all the Pern books over and over since I first discovered them in eighth grade -- _Dragonquest_ was the first book I bought with my own money. In the main, I really enjoy them. Anne McCaffrey writes well and her ideas are very original, particularly in the earlier books in the series. Some of the later volumes have not thrilled me, however. _Renegades_ I found particularly unmoving, so I picked up ATW with some trepidation the first time. But this is the Dragonriders series at its best, with all the characters the reader has come to know and love facing challenges with fortitude and even humour.
I don't argue that McCaffrey is a great storyteller. She is at her best in situationally-driven stories (rather than character-driven), particularly those where her charcters are put in a new, alien and/or hostile environment where they must develop the skills to succeed in various tasks. This is part of what makes her Dragonrider series appealing to fans of straight science fiction as well as fans of fantasy. And as the basic theme of ATW, it makes for an absorbing read.
McCaffrey needs a continuity editor, however. As her world becomes more and more complex it seems she has trouble keeping track of the details. Unfortunately, I am the kind of person who is bothered by this.
Is Jancis a Mastersmith or a journeyman smith? She seems to be both, often in the same paragraph. And how did she come to be Fandarel's granddaughter when he formerly stated he had no wife, only his work? How did Sharra appear at landing to exchange a significant glance with Jancis, when before and after that single incident it was clearly stated she wasn't there at all? Why is Menolly telling AIVAS about her three children when in _Dolphins_ at a later date she is shown to be pregnant with only the second? How did Lord Oterel appear in _Dolphins_, long after the close of ATW, when he died before ATW ended? These are just some of the details that distracted me.
But, well, this is still a great book and one that really ties up the Pern series. I could only wish that Anne McCaffrey had ended here.
on May 8, 2001
First off, if you haven't read any of the previous novels (at least the Dragonflight, Dragonquest and White Dragon trilogy) in this series, you're missing something in background. This volume in the history of the Dragonriders of Pern is interesting in its own right but, as McCaffrey herself states, "there are certain licenses that an author...may take to produce a novel". This refers to the expediated rate of learning and technological innovation which takes place on Pern -- with Aivas' (an Artificial Intelligence computer) assistance. It's fun to imagine what might happen in such a situation and especially to consider the implications that mass technological changes might effect. Some of these issues come up and the forward-thinking tone wins out, inevitably. At that end, McCaffrey wrote this book by 1990, so some issues of AI and computer control were still fresh and more pressing. Worth reading within the sequence of the series. Otherwise, some holes and overly trite moments.
on October 9, 1999
I've fallen in love with the Pern series ever since I read Dragonsinger. Since then I've read a lot of the other books in the series. I love them all. The characters are each very unique and different, with strong individual traits. I also enjoyed the complicated socio-political system they had on Pern, and the low tech atmosphere. This book proved to be very interesting, exciting, and well written. I was pleased to learn about AIVAS and a bit more about Pern's past history. While I'm very glad they erradicated thread, I'm also slightly disappointed that dragonriders will no longer have a major role. What will happen to the future of Pern now? And I was very sorry to read about Master Robinton's death. He was one of my favourite characters. I think I enjoyed these books better before. However, I still suggest that Pern lovers read this book, b/c maybe others will feel more thrilled in the triumph of a menace destroyed than I. All in all, it was still pretty great. I don't know...i just feel a little mixed-up about this book. It's good, but also kinda disappointing. That's the only reason I didn't give it 5 stars.
on April 27, 2000
All the Weyrs of Pern is a great book for anybody who has read Dragonflight, Dragonquest, The White Dragon, and Dragonsdawn (all 4 have to be read or you won't understand much about it).
Anyway, AIVAS was a great addition to the world of Pern, but I find the change in Lessa and F'lar a little saddening. I know people age, but it seems that their personalities have aged, also. Lessa appears far too engrossed with her Weyrwomanity for my likes, although she used to be one of my favorite characters.
The book stars out with a slower tempo, but it picks it up as it goes along. As with all books, don't let the first chapter force you into putting the book down, but read at least half of it before you make your decision.
on January 22, 2000
An enjoyable book overall, the storyline finally brings the contemporary Pern we know and love in touch with it's past and how that discovery would change Pern forever. I found the pace a little too fast at times, and would have preferred a slower and more detailed focus on the disovery of Avias. And the big blooper in the story made me wince every time it came up. But as a whole the depth of issues and social analysis is comparable to the depth found in the Dragonquest. Some good action scenes for those who relish them.
on June 6, 2003
This book tells how the dragonriders with the help of an AI and Lord Jaxom managed to make the current fall of thread the last. The White Dragon Ruth also does something that no dragon has done before or since. I would definatly recommend this book to Pern fans. Anyone who hasn't read any of the other Pern books might want to read up before starting this book.
on June 11, 2001
This book is well written in the same style as other Dragonrider books. It's an interesting story as a continuation of its predecessor, "The Dragonriders of Pern". It's especially worth reading for those who are enthralled with the Pern saga and Anne McCaffrey, who is, undoubtedly, one of the finest fantasy writers of all time.