5.0 out of 5 stars Not Jane Austen, But...!
Published on Sept. 24 2002 by Anne M. Border

3.0 out of 5 stars Uninteresting
I found the book light and easy to read and the characterizations were consistent with Jane Austens'. The problem was that I kept waiting for something interesting to happen, and it never really did. I also felt like there was not enough about Mr. Darcy.
Published on Jan. 10 2003 by bawkpeters

3.0 out of 5 stars Uninteresting, Jan. 10 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, Nov. 3 2002
By A Customer
I'm an avid Jane Austen fan... I enjoyed reading this book, but felt that it was not what I had hoped it would be. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice easy read, but I don't feel it does justice to the characters Jane Austen so wonderfully portrayed...

1.0 out of 5 stars BO-RING!, June 14 2004
This review is from: Letters from Pemberley: The First Year: A Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice (Paperback)
Aargh, this book was painful. Basically, it takes plot points and character descriptions from Austen's other novels, and repackages them almost without modification into letters between Lizzie and Jane after their marriages. A complete waste of time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Jane Austen, But...!, Sept. 24 2002
Anne M. Border (Paradise Valley, Arizona) - See all my reviews
One must keep in mind that the author is NOT Jane Austen, nor does she claim to be! With that said, this little book is satisfying in its own right. The letters Elizabeth writes to her sister Jane are sweet and interesting, though not overly exciting as we might wish Austen's to have been. Jane Dawkins, however, does an admirable job of painting the first year of married life for Elizabeth and Darcy. I could only wish that we heard more from sister Jane and husband Darcy, and definitely more of the headstrong Lydia. But when all is said and done, this is a delightful little book, and thoroughly enjoyable for those of us who still crave more of Jane Austen's world. Try it and you'll like it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Terribly boring. . ., Sept. 17 2002
I wish now that I had followed the advice of the other reviewers. This was a quick read, but boring. Nothing of interest happens in the letters to Jane from Elizabeth. As a sequel, it would be better to read Bar Sinister or Presumption. The book could not stand up on its own as a literary work.

2.0 out of 5 stars Letters from Pemberley the First Year, Sept. 12 2002
By A Customer
This is a sweet book but no real suprises and everything turned out just perfect in the neat little boxes some might imagine that it would. The reading is easy and but the letters only come from Elizabeth and that can get a little slow at some points. There were no real challenges faced by the couple and for the reader use to escaping reality in these perfect worlds may still find this a bit much. All in all not the worst P&P sequel but far from the best

3.0 out of 5 stars Dry, Sept. 5 2002
Not so great - due to my expectations? You'll find the characters and (sort of) the language style you're used to; but where is the sardonic wit that is the core of Austen?

3.0 out of 5 stars handwriting class, April 12 2002
Desta Elliott "djelliott" (Niles, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This is one of the more insipid P&P spinoffs, better used for handwriting class. The author lacks imaginiation and creativity and writes letters too banal for words. The idea of populating the book with other Austen characters is good, too bad she fails to do anything with them. Is this all there is? This book have us all asleep before the fire, right along with Bingley's brother in law!

4.0 out of 5 stars "Letters from Pemberley" was delightful!, March 25 2002
"cutebeth" (KY United States) - See all my reviews
This was the second Pride and Prejudice sequel I have had the pleasure to read. I have to admit that had I read this one first, I would have probably liked it better. But coming after the passionate--if sometimes disturbing--story-line of The Bar Sinister, I felt a little cheated by the brevity of this novel.
I enjoyed picking out references to other Austen characters throughout the story and their interactions and personalities as observed through the "fine eyes" of Mrs. Elizabeth Darcy. It was actually quite fun for me since I have often wondered how the different Austen heroines and their companions would perceive each other.
The letter format of the novel was easy to follow and knowing that correspondence played an important part in the original, I thought it was a great idea to adopt that style for the sequel. Elizabeth's wit and many references to her "dear husband" were endearing but I found myself wanting-or expecting-more from this book than it delivered. This is not to say I didn't enjoy it, merely that I think I would have enjoyed it more if it were longer or perhaps more in depth.

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming, March 14 2002
Kirsten Berkemer "pinewoody" (Menomonie, WI United States) - See all my reviews
A lovely, gentle tale. Through the somewhat sketchy medium of letters, the author implies rather than narrates the story. She allows us to draw on our previous experiences with Jane Austen's characters to fill in the blanks.

ARRAY(0xbf97b744)