4.0 out of 5 stars The Perl programming bible

Published on Jan. 17 2003 by chriswei

3.0 out of 5 stars Great as reference, terrible for learning, Jan. 17 2003
chriswei "chriswei" (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Programming Perl (Paperback)
I will keep this book for reference, but will go find another one in order to learn. They take a 'bottom-up' approach and start with ALL the detail. So if you just want simple examples to start with, you are stuck. You must read for hours to figure out anything. Instead of starting with easy stuff and building up, they just jump right in with all the way cool tricky stuff. As a reference book, it will be excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Perl programming bible, July 6 2004
This review is from: Programming Perl (Paperback)
This is the Perl programming bible. It's all in here. However there is a caveat, it's a bible so it has some religion in it. The style is somewhat ambling at times and occasionally obtuse. So if you are trying to learn Perl from scratch, read the aptly named "Learning Perl" book first (as I did). This book will then serve as an excellent guide to the more advanced features and and a reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent reference., Sept. 29 2008
Leonardo Custodio "KRG" (Ontario, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Programming Perl (Paperback)
Without question, this book explains Perl from the inside out, covering all grounds. Programmers can rely on this book for their in-depth knowledge, and have it as a reference.

--KRG

4.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction, July 2 2004
wiredweird "wiredweird" (Earth, or somewhere nearby) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Programming Perl (Paperback)
This isn't the book for a first-time programmer. Outside of that, it's a great reference. Maybe the more advanced language features need more clarification, but it's plenty to get you going on your first few Perl programs.
Perl is a pleasant oddity among programming langauges. It has lots of features that make it great as a "glue" language, for holding other programs together and for doing those irksome little translations between incompatible formats. Those are the things that shell scripts used to do: setting up files, command lines, and environment variables, checking results, preparing reports. Perl does all that, better, and gives you the full power of a programming language on top of it all. That means the transformations aren't at the mercy of available filters, and don't count on the dozen different syntaxes of the dozen different filter programs. It's a great language for all those little one-off tasks that crop up, especially in system and web admin.
That's my problem with Perl, though - the free-wheeling, never-look-back, whatever-works spirit of the people who use Perl. I know there are disciplined, competent software engineers who develop and use Perl, and I don't mean to disparage them at all. Still, the gonzo style that's so common and the revival tent spirit of books like this put me off a bit.
The language is very useful, and make lots of hard jobs easy. This book, despite its true-believer style, gives a thorough introduction to the language and its core APIs.

3.0 out of 5 stars I sold my book back, May 11 2004
Nishant Agarwal (Simi Valley, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Programming Perl (Paperback)
The humor was too much for me. I tried to be calm and focus on learning Perl. But I gave up after three chapters. The authors take it too casually like a walk in the park, and try strange attempts too seriously to compare Perl with english language. I sold my book back on Amazon and lost nearly 20 dollars in the bargain. But still give it 3 stars because there are sure people who like to do things the light way. As for me, I like books who talk sense, I dont have time to waste reading jokes and silly footnotes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mandatory for Perl programming, but maddening all the same, Feb. 11 2004
TDrinkrrr (Reston, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Programming Perl (Paperback)
This book is like the Perl tax: everyone involved with Perl needs to pay out and get it, whether they want to or not. There is no other place where all the innards and tricky bits of Perl are laid bare. In that regard it's a bit like sendmail admins having to buy the bat book (the o'reilly sendmail book).
But unlike the bat book, and much as I respect this book and its authors, I find using it absolutely infuriating, not least because the index is a mess. Remember that perl is full of obscure little atoms like ., ^, $* and so on. You need an index that lists every darn one and their combinations. Unfortunately, the indexers of this book did not complete the job, which means that if you quickly want to refresh your memory about something small but important (like: whats the regular expression for whitespace, or is it .= or =. for string appends), you have to go trawling through the whole book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for beginners, but an absolute necessity!, Feb. 2 2004
David M. Roberts (Pickens, South Carolina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Programming Perl (Paperback)
I read the first edition of this book.
After reading some of the reviews here, I am reminded of when I first picked up this book and didn't have the background to fully appreciate it.
After using Perl for several years doing Internet programming, and being exposed to all the languages it's possible to use, I still remain devoted to the work of this man, Larry Wall for what I believe to be the greatest contribution of all to humanity and to computer science.
I stopped here to reaffirm that the third edition will cover Object Oriented programming. Although nobody mentions this, I'm sure he will, and another book I have said it would.
Before brushing up on Object Oriented programming for Perl, I decided to re-read Learning Perl and Programming Perl (though I only had the first editions). Unlike the first times I attempted to read these two books, this time I was dumbfounded at how much info they (Larry and Randal) could cram into such a short place. One thing builds upon another. Everything written, the examples and all, took on new meaning. This was exciting reading because all the problems that it took me years to even identify were spelled out before me with examples I could immediately understand. There are many ways to do things in Perl, and my way, the obvious way, usually turns out to be the long way. Reading these books and adopting some new techniques they mention could literally save me years of time!
It's a lot like learning music. Unless someone tells you why you have to learn scales, you won't enjoy doing it and unless you stick with it long enough, you'll never learn why you need to know them.
I guess I'd have to say that sooner or later you will need these two books to be truly effective as a Perl programmer, but if you are a beginner, you won't know enough about Perl to realize why these are really great books. If you have several years of Perl experience, then these books will show you how to be incredibly effective, incredibly organized, and best of all, incredibly lazy!
One thing that makes Perl so strong, is that anything that has ever been done with Unix can be done with Perl. If you're operating equipment with Microsoft software, you're missing half the fun.
This book really shines if you already love Perl and worship those who spent enormous amounts of time making their priceless contributions.
This is probably not a good book if you're new to Perl, in a hurry, and are trying to debug some broken code.
I found "Teach Yourself Perl in 21 Days" by Sams Publishing to be all I needed in my early days. I only wish I had the ability to appreciate the information in these other two books then.
I am convinced that Perl is the highest level programming language there is and there is absolutely nothing that can't be done with it in less time and with less code than any other language.
Now I'm going to buy a brand new Programming Perl 3rd edition and I think I'll even have it shipped overnight!

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, nice reference, Dec 31 2003
This review is from: Programming Perl (Paperback)
Programming Perl is a great reference book for Perl which is something one would expect considering it comes from the creator of perl himself! The index is very well done and includes all of the *weird* characters which perl likes to use such as $_, @_, etc..
If you're new to perl, then I'd suggest also purchasing "Learning Perl" by the same publisher. It's probably a bit easier to use when just picking up the language - but the reference book is a must have as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Perl book, Dec 13 2003
Jack D. Herrington "engineer and author" (Silicon Valley, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Programming Perl (Paperback)
This is the definitive book on Perl. First off, it's from Larry, the main who invented and is maintaining Perl. Second, it's a very well written and edited book that provides some concise material both on the syntax and the philosophy of Perl. A must read for Perl programmers. Period.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most awesome PERL book, Aug. 28 2003
This review is from: Programming Perl (Paperback)
This is indeed the most awesome PERL book.
Written by Larry Wall, who is Mr. Perl.
If you get but once PERL book, get this one,

ARRAY(0xb2a41b4c)

Programming Perl
Programming Perl by Jon Orwant Ph.D. (Paperback - July 21 2000)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.39