5.0 out of 5 stars Great Intro to web design
Published on Oct. 22 2003 by Jim Symes

3.0 out of 5 stars Good start, but leaves out some important information
While I am not a beginner, I am a teacher and reviewed this book to help me decide whether to recommend it to students. To be honest, I actually prefer Ms. Niederst's first book (Web Design in a Nutshell) to this one. The reason is this book leaves students with some very big questions. While Web Design in a Nutshell may be a bit out-dated, it at least answers some of the...
Published on April 11 2001

4.0 out of 5 stars Begin your web design career here!, Oct. 23 2003
C. M. Lowry (Columbia JUG, Columbia, SC USA) - See all my reviews
This book starts with the premise that you have no web development experience and you do not want to program. The book is divided into four parts that cover an overview of web development, an html tutorial, graphics for the web, and web site design. Within each section, a different subject is addressed in every chapter. While each chapter starts at a very basic level, enough material is taught to give the reader a good start in each of the subjects. I particularly liked the way style sheets and links were covered. The book is replete with tips, illustrations, and code examples to assist the reader. There are exercises to reinforce the information for most of the topics covered.
The format of the book is different than most of the O'Reilly books that I have read in the past. The larger format of the book with the better paper and more graphics add to the learning experience especially with this subject. This was a fun book to read, even though I was familiar with most of the material. I was mainly interested in the graphics section and web design. Apparently, my interests coincided with those of the author's because I feel that those sections are the strongest in the book.
My only slight criticism of this book might be that while the reader is probably a beginner, most of the graphics examples are done with Photoshop or Fireworks. These tools may be a bit out of budget for the fledgling web designer. This book is a good starting point, but the reader probably will need to follow it with something more substantial.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Intro to web design, Oct. 22 2003
Jim Symes (Laguna Niguel, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Usually learning something new on the computer requires that you purchase more than one book on the subject. I purchased a number of books on web design and html programing with the idea of developing a small web site for a small business. But "Learning Web Design" may be the only book you need to get started, expecially if you plan on using a Web authoring program such as Dreamweaver or FrontPage. Learning Dreamweaver MX will be much easier now that I have been introduced to html and the do's and dont's of web design. This book is very attractively laid out and written in a clear manner. Thanks Jennifer! Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome for beginners, May 27 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Learning Web Design: HTML, Graphics, and Animation: A Beginner's Guide to HTML, Graphics, and Beyond (Paperback)
Excellent writing style made it fun and easy to follow along and actually create a functional website. I made 4 websites by the time I finished the book!

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay, could be better, April 6 2003
The reviewer/teacher that posted on April 11, 2001 is right on the mark. This book says nothing on Forms. However, it is a good book explaining the ins-out of the rest of the stuff to a degree. But I feel it spends too much time on hypothetical questioning & marketing your pages, which is good I suppose but a waste of time when most of what she says is common sense. I already knew HTML before going into this book & it shows some new helpers that weren't there before. She doesn't address the pitfalls of many HTML situations like nested tables or backgrounds in cells in nested tables in older browsers (well not that old). The publishing company QUE wrote a book on HTML and it was much better. The whole HTML/web design coding is changing pretty fast with XML/XHTML, & CSS arrising, this book is no better than QUE's published 5-7 years ago. I do not recommend this book. Oh yeah one more thing, it has cheap binding, mine is already falling apart!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Yet, March 20 2003
Of the 3 books about web design, HTML, and related topics that I have read recently this is the best yet and I do recommend it for purchase by others. The author states, "I've had the opportunity to teach web design to hundreds to hundreds of abolute beginners." It is my judgement that that experience has contuributed significant to the this book. The one caveat I would extend is that the copyright date is 2001 and the book is certain to need to be updated in another year. Techology and application software changes. Having said that I believe that the book has much to offer any beginnig web designer. (3/20/2003)

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written book - make sure you are in its target audience, March 15 2003
C. R. Vandenheuvel (Hudsonville, MI United States) - See all my reviews
I, too, will likely be teaching a high school course in web design this fall, and felt that this book would help provide a framework for my curriculum.
It certainly covers a wide range of topics, but it has a target audience in mind and you should determine whether or not you are in that audience before you purchase the book.
First of all, do you know absolutely nothing about web design? This is definitely a book for beginners. I am by no means an expert, and I knew little HTML before reading this book, but I can say that I already knew most of the material. I know it's called "Learning Web Design," but in spite of that I was still a bit surprised. If you've had even minimal experience making web pages already, most of this will be review.
Second, do you plan to rely almost entirely on programs like Dreamweaver or GoLive? Niederst's coverage of HTML assumes that you do. This is not a negative comment--for many people there is no need to learn a great deal of HTML--but she teaches you just enough so that you can operate WYSIWYG editors more efficiently. She does not mention which tags are deprecated, and doesn't really encourage the use of CSS (although CSS isn't taught in the book). I think those two things are fairly important if you plan to make a real study of HTML, if only to encourage good habits in the beginning. Thus, much will have to be "unlearned" with further HTML tutorials. However, your basic WYSIWYG user will probably never know the difference.
If you don't meet those two qualifications, I would recommend you look elsewhere. Otherwise, this will be an excellent first book ... Niederst is a great author, and the book is easy and fun to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended resource for those new to Web design, Nov. 6 2002
Web sites have come a long way since the first graphical browsers came out in the early '90s. We're seeing fancy pages made with XML, Java, PHP, CSS, Javascript, XHTML, and more. No doubt this has left web page designer wannabes feeling left behind and lamenting it's too late to learn how to design web pages.
Jennifer Niederst reaffirms that it is not too late. Her previous and best-selling book, Web Design in a Nutshell has helped many including me take their web design skills to the next level plus it's excellent as a reference book. However, her students were clamoring for a book that is more basic and introductory than the Nutshell. She calls Learning Web Design: A Beginner's Guide to HTML, Graphics and Beyond her "prequel" and correctly so.
This is the book I wish I had when I first learned HTML. Even someone, who has known HTML and understands graphics, this book is still useful. Beginners learn about GIF, JPG and when to use which format. Intermediates are reminded the difference between adaptive, selective, and perceptual color palettes.
Niederst includes steps and screen shots for performing different activities in the more popular web design, animation, and graphic software products. I experience an annoyance in my early days of web design - the halo effect on graphics in which I added transparency. Again, this book saves time in trial and error of correcting problems by providing the workarounds and tips.
Of course, the nuts and bolts of creating Web pages are covered, but the book doesn't stop there. The last section shows you how to bring it all together and create pages similar to the professional ones out there using HTML and graphics. Finally, learn the secrets of making rounded edges on boxes, 1-pixel square graphics, non-repeating background tiles, and pop-up windows.
Every designer has to deal with browser bugs and the tips will help you work through the buggers. Another bonus is the chapter on Building Usable Web Sites, an often-neglected step in many web sites. Here, you're introduced to key principles for designing the user experience and ensuring you have a navigable web site.
It's impossible to cover everything Web design in one book. However, if you come across a web page and wonder "How did they do that?" then go to the last chapter with the same name and find your answers.
Stop telling yourself it's too late and get started with this resource. Intermediate designers use this one as a reference and memory jolter of how to do specific web design tasks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Introduction to Essential Web Design Topics, Sept. 16 2002
Dan Raymond "greatwebdesign4u" (Centennial, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This is one of the best books you'll find on basic web design techniques. While it does not cover advanced topics such as dynamic page generation (CGI/ASP/PHP/ColdFusion/JSP etc.) and advanced Javascript or advanced cross-browser CSS, it does an admirable job of illuminating the basics that will get anyone off to a good start in their web design pursuits. Diligently apply the material in this book to your projects and you can't lose. I have been designing for the web for over 5 years, the last year and a half full-time professionally, and I have used many of the techniques in this book. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good intro for beginners, Sept. 6 2002
"Learning Web Design" by Jennifer Niederst is an excellent intro to HTML and web design. The book takes the reader gently through how the Internet works, how web pages are loaded, and how web pages should be designed before giving a lesson on HTML. Niederst then takes the reader through a sampling of topics such as graphics and frames, highlighting the do's and don'ts of web design.
In my opinion, I recommend this book if you are:
A complete newbie to the web but wants to make web pages the right way.
A programmer who understands the basics of HTML but does not consider him or herself a designer.
You will also need a dose of patience, and I also recommend you follow along her lessons with your computer with a basic text editor software like Notepad. I would also recommend checking out "Web Design in a Nutshell" by the same author for a slightly more advanced and in-depth treatment of web design and "HTML and XHTML: The Definitive Guide" for a complete treatment of how to write HTML.
Lastly, Niederst doesn't cover JavaScript or CSS in this book: it is strictly an intro for beginners on the fundamentals of HTML and web design.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for beginner's, July 16 2002
Ralph Speirs (King William's Town, Eastern Cape South Africa) - See all my reviews
Jennifer Niederst book "Learning Web Design" I found to be a great book explaining very well for beginners on how to build basic websites. I have been building sites for a year and studying and this book gave me great foundation for my future web designing. I look forward to reading her other book, which I bought with this one "Web Design in a nutshell".

Used & New from: CDN$ 0.40