5.0 out of 5 stars Perl Pocket Reference, Nov. 20 2013
Joel Andrews - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Perl Pocket Reference (Paperback)
Perl Pocket Reference - A nice little quick reference to the learning Perl book. I like it for those reasons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right, April 10 2003
skiggety (Hudson, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Perl Pocket Reference (Paperback)
"Perl Pocket Reference" has the dense information content of "Perl in a nutshell" with extra readability and decreased size. However, in it's subject matter it more closely resembles "programming perl" (aka: camel), because it only covers the language itself. I own all three of these books, and even when they are all within arms reach, I still use this pocket reference more than the other two books, for two reasons:
1)As a beginner (in Perl), many of my questions can be answered with a small book such as "Perl Pocket Reference".
2)I don't have to sift through a lot of extraneous information to get answers quickly.
This pocket reference is no substitute for the Camel, (or for a more complete reference such as "Perl in a nutshell") but it's a great solution for
-finding succinct answers quickly
-reminding yourself of the basics of some feature that you don't use much
-serving as a beginner's reference, or
-bringing to an open-book exam. ;-)
Buy this book if you have another perl book and you want to get answers more efficiently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't program Perl without this cool reference book, Feb. 10 2003
Gregor Theis (Meerbusch Deutschland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Perl Pocket Reference (Paperback)
If you are not one of the great Perl Wizards that know the syntax for every commands by heart, you should by this very handy book. This booklet is a reference book. Do not expect to learn Perl from scratch with this booklet (although I learned a lot of details :-). If you do not know Perl I recommend "Learning Perl" first.
The 4th edition of "Perl Pocket Reference" has been enhanced to cover Perl 5.8. It adds some small enhancements for the new IO libraries, regular expressions and Unicode handling. The basics are still as good as in the 3rd edition (although a bit more cleaned up).
I love this book because it is without any useless overhead. The information density is very high so make sure that you read this book slowly.
This book covers "only" the Perl language (which is quite big compared to e.g. "C") It does not cover your favourite Perl module (e.g. DBI, LWP and so on). There are almost no examples in this book. If you look for examples I recommend e.g. "Perl Cookbook" from O'Reilly.
I really like this book. What it tries to do, it does very well (small reference book of the Perl language). I have it always on my desk at work and I already gave away more than 20 copies (German and English versions) to my coworkers.

ARRAY(0xc48f8798)

Perl Pocket Reference
Perl Pocket Reference by Johan Vromans (Paperback - July 26 2002)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01