5.0 out of 5 stars For serious buyers and sellers only
Published on March 7 2004 by Jack D. Herrington

3.0 out of 5 stars Should have been three books.
Published on March 16 2004 by L. Hawkinson

1.0 out of 5 stars 100 COMMON SENSE TIPS, April 11 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: eBay Hacks: 100 Industrial-Strength Tips & Tools (Paperback)
I don't know where the 100 industrial-strength tips are in this book. The author is far from being an Ebay hack. The best way to learn how to use Ebay is just to use Ebay. NO BOOKS ARE NECESSARY . Look for my new book "1000 ways to turn on your computer"

3.0 out of 5 stars Should have been three books., March 16 2004
L. Hawkinson (United States) - See all my reviews
I have been selling for 5 years and have 6000+ rating with 100% positive. If I had read this book first, I would have been scared away, thinking eBay was too complicated. I leave feedback as soon as the person pays...they have fulfilled their requirement. Pictures must be clear and fill the entire field. Scanning small items works well for the beginner without a digital. EBay Hacks gives much time to the details of picture taking with film. If a person has a film camera, they know how to use it. And I can not imagine someone using my photo in their sales and if they did, I doubt that I would know. Mr. Karp says they use his and he has had to deal with these people. I use Multi Block Storage for my canned messages. Free for a month to try it out and then $10.00 one time payment. This is the only money I have spent on frills. Did the cut and paste recommended by eBay Hacks for several years and it works fine but Multi Block is better. But NEVER put a negative in your canned messages as eBay Hacks recommends. He recommended giving it lots of space so you don't copy and paste it by mistake. Negative should be written fresh each time and from the facts of that sale. It should be so rare that you do not need a short cut to save time. People should start slowly to see if eBay is for them. Some people just don't have the temperament for listing, waiting for payment, packing, mailing and living with the clutter of packaging materials and items to list. Mr. Karp had a lot of information for the beginner that would help avoid costly mistakes...like putting in a counter that can slow the loading of the page and avoiding noises and wall paper. But I think the book should have had a beginners section with the balance of the book written for after sellers got their eBay feet wet.

5.0 out of 5 stars For serious buyers and sellers only, March 7 2004
Jack D. Herrington "engineer and author" (Silicon Valley, CA) - See all my reviews
Like Amazon Hacks, this book is for serious users of the EBay Web Application only. Those would be people who buy and sell on EBay for a living, or are likely to do that in the near future. For those this book has 330 pages of in-depth material about how to buy and sell, and, at some level, about how to automate that process. This book is less like the other Hacks book in that it has more expository detail about the human side of the story, and less about writing small Perl programs to do stuff. That's fine though, since no Perl program will help you get positive reviews from your buyer's and sellers, but the tips in this book just may help you do that.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the one to get!, Feb. 21 2004
By A Customer
The author is most knowledgeable - a must have book for sellers.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of the best eBay books I have read!, Jan. 24 2004
Great tools, tips, and strategies to help you become an expert on eBay. This book has some very interesting programs and scripts to provide better ways to monitor auctions, and buy & sell. David Karp has clearly mastered the intricacies of eBay!
Even if you don't want to try the programming this book is loaded with lots of useful information. I refer to it often for solutions to eBay questions when I have problems selling or buying on eBay.
Highly Recommended!
Fred Tippins
[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for the seasoned (non-technical) eBayer, but not bad, Jan. 23 2004
As a seasoned eBayer that is not interested in setting up eBay search robots or other similar hacks, I found most of the advanced tips offered in this book a bit useless. Yet, having experienced a lot of things as a buyer or as a seller, I can see this book being a very useful guide for people who are new to eBay to avoid pitfalls that are quite common and become a more knowledgeable eBayer with time. Overall, quite good, but more geared toward the beginner to intermediate eBayer audience. If you have bought or sold more than 20-30 items using eBay, who knows: you might find it useful. I know I didn't, for myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting tip guide and essential eBay companion, Jan. 22 2004
By A Customer
I bought this book to pick up some of the finer points of selling on eBay, but what impressed me the most was what I didn't expect. Sure, this book has tons of selling strategy, but it's intermixed with keen insights into the physchology of buyers and sellers alike. I never expected that from a book like this.
Another thing I never anticipated was the rich coverage of auction photographs, including tips like jpeg compression and depth of field for closeup photography. And if you are into programming (as I am), your eyes will be opened to the ebay api and the prospect of replacing hours of tedious work with a few lines of code.
Did you know you could spellcheck your auctions or set it up so that you'll be notified whenever someone with zero or negative feedback bids on one of your auctions? It's in there, and more.
Overall, Ebay Hacks is well written and a great ebay book with tons of tricks you never knew existed. Nothing else touches it. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the Better eBay Books, Jan. 14 2004
OkieAspie "Aspergian Covetor" (Oklahoma City, Oklahoma United States) - See all my reviews
Ok, I must admit I have read most of eBay books simply because I am amazed at how bad they are. None have helped me in any way shape or form with the exception of this book. I am not going to go in to the details however if you are already a seller on eBay you WILL learn some new beneficial tricks. If you are new to eBay this book will save you the first six months of learning curve boo boos. This book is worth the price. Don't lend it to your friends if they will be competing with you. Of course since eBay is online things go out of date fast. Hopefully O'Reily will keep it up to date, they are in my opinion a very conscientious publisher. A great buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Goes where no other eBay book dares, Jan. 2 2004
By A Customer
There's a nice range of topics covered in eBay Hacks - from the simplest diplomacy and feedback tips to well thought-out selling strategies and even programming. Each "hack" is marked with a little green thermometer that provides a clue to its complexity (e.g. how advanced it is), so you can quickly tell whether it's going to be something you might already know or something you'll have to study.
I've been on eBay for quite some time, so I already know a lot of the tips marked "beginner," but I have found enough stuff in just a short time with the book to make it well worth the price. I've found the analysis of listing options to be insightful and for the most part, spot-on. And there's a chapter on photos that goes far beyond the rudimentary aspects of file formats and hosting; I've already improved my close-up photography with the depth-of-field tricks in Hack #56, and there's a ton of JavaScript to produce some nice slideshows and photo-presentation effects. Buyers are not left out, either - there are three hacks on sniping alone and a nice tip on tripping up buy it now auctions that are set too high.
The last part of the book covers the API, eBay's "back-door." About twenty hacks contain straightforward code anybody with a little programming background can use to manage auctions, spell-check listings, and (my favorite) perform searches automatically every hour on the hour.
All in all, it's a good, meaty book with a wide range of appeal. Yes, there's some beginner tips, but they're clearly marked so that more advanced ebayers can get right to the good stuff.

2.0 out of 5 stars For rookies only, Jan. 2 2004
T. Chang - See all my reviews
Rookies only
If you've been doing business on eBay for a long time, you don't need a book like this. Take me as an example; I don't consider myself an eBay expert. Six year experience will make you have an idea about the name of the head of SafeHarbor and how to remove unwanted negative feedback. The book, in my personal opinion, just scratches the surface without giving you enough inside info that would eventually help you.
For example, Hack #5 Withholding Feedback. It teaches how to lower the probability of being left unwanted feedbacks. It only works when you're either a contract seller or a power seller. Meaning that you really don't care about your feedback since you generated about 20 plus feedbacks per day. Ratio is your priority concern. On the other hand, those beginners, who are not high volume sellers but want nothing but doing honest business on eBay and have fun. The tip will impede their speed of cumulating feedbacks and directly hurts their sales. Like I said, the tip just scratches the surface without giving valuable information that will help you ultimately.
Again, the book is not bad but having a wrong name. If the name was "eBay Fundamentals", it'll be a 5 star. eBay Hacks? Sorry, one star.

ARRAY(0xad94d744)

eBay Hacks: 100 Industrial-Strength Tips & Tools
eBay Hacks: 100 Industrial-Strength Tips & Tools by David A. Karp (Paperback - Sept. 1 2003)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01