4.0 out of 5 stars A Patterns Book for the Rest of Us
Oh sure, we've all got the Gang-Of-Four Design Patterns books on the shelf, right up there next to Knuth. I'd yank down my dusty copy whenever I needed to look up what a fellow coder meant by Facade or Visitor. (Actually, the short description of the patterns on the inside front cover usually was enough to fake my way through the rest of the conversation.)

In...
Published on June 15 2006 by yukondude

3.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive Repetition to make it stick. Get the print copy though.
Print copy gets 4 starts. -1 star for the Kindle version due to difficulty viewing diagrams.

Decent book on design patterns, with tons of illustrations and games to help reinforce design patterns. They are repeated in many different ways to help you remember them, though I found its approach childish at times, speaking down to the reader. If you found the Gang...
Published 4 months ago by Jason Echs

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A Patterns Book for the Rest of Us, June 15 2006
This review is from: Head First Design Patterns (Paperback)

In contrast, I charged through Head First Design Patterns in all of about two days. It was my first exposure to the breezy diagram- and photo-laden Head First series. You could consider the non-text portions to be just so much tree-killing fluff, but I found them a pleasant respite from what is, at heart, a pretty dry subject.

There were more than a few times during my reading that I sat back, whistled, and said aloud, "so that's how that works." The book covers the most common patterns from GoF in an incremental order. I was disappointed that some patterns were lumped in the last "Leftover Patterns" chapter because I would've enjoyed the authors' take on them, particularly the Flyweight pattern, a personal fave.

Examples are illustrated using Java. That's definitely an improvement over the templated C++ in GoF, but it does illustrate a failing: the old-school object-oriented languages like C++ and Java needed patterns to solve common problems. The latest batch of OO/functional languages like Python and Ruby have little use for some patterns, and add new patterns all their own. For instance, what use is there for an iterator pattern in Ruby that uses closures to loop? Why bother with factory patterns in languages with first-order functions and class objects?

That opinion aside, patterns are still an everyday matter for the OO practitioner, and Head First Design Patterns is a superb introduction to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very smart and accessible, Feb. 16 2009
Rob (Vancouver) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Head First Design Patterns (Paperback)
I have read many OOP principle / design pattern books and this one stands out as a clear winner for anyone new to the subject. An especially invaluable recommendation to your peers if you want them up to speed quick.

Even without completing all of the multi-discipline evaluation tests (from crosswords to sketches) I found the retention level of this book to be extremely high. The authors clearly had fun letting their geek humour loose - it really helps with what can sometimes be an inaccessible subject matter.

My only criticism would be aimed at one or two of the examples. I enjoyed the story telling and settings, but whilst I sympathise with the paradox of needing to provide examples, some were verging on bad design (e.g. coffee decorator!). But I think the authors state regularly the real merits of the patterns, so I for one will let this slide.

Great. Well considered and takes the original GoF Design Patterns book forward.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, fun and enjoyable, April 29 2009
This review is from: Head First Design Patterns (Paperback)
I have over 4 years of experience with programming and through all this years I've read many books that try to explain Design Patterns; I got to master Design Patterns after I read this book. It's so smart the way they explain everything and how they use real life examples to make you understand what something 'abstract' really means. It's highly recommended! I'm a PHP developer and although the books is written with Java examples, most (if not all) of the examples and cases can be brought with no problem to PHP.

It's not only the best design patterns book, it's one of the best books I've ever read.

5 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read For Flash ActionScripters too!, Aug. 31 2005
Mark Lapasa (Mississauga, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Head First Design Patterns (Paperback)
I bought this book because of the rave reviews on Amazon.com. I am a Flash ActionScripter who was looking to see how I can make use of design patterns. Actionscript 2.0 is very similar to Java so understanding the examples was no problem. Most people would recommend "Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software" (a.k.a. GoF, Gang Of Four) but that's a tough read. The examples in a copy I got were done in C Language.
The book if you page through it is silly but if you read it the way it is supposed to be read, you will see into your code further down the road and into the future and figure out that there is at least one certainty and that is that the code will change.
Learning about design patterns and OOA/D will 1) prepare your code to handle that inevitable change by decreasing the probably that it will break and 2) it will provide you with a broader vocabulary to express those parts of a program and be able to communicate it with other developers.
I recommend this book not at novice ActionScripters but those who are intermediate or advanced who have a confortable grasp of the syntax. This is a good read for those who want to make better use of AS2.0 and stop coding themselves into a corner by coding to concrete classes instead of interfaces. Moock's take on design patterns left alot to be desired but I have to admit that he opened the door for me to learn more about patterns and how it can make life easier developing in Flash.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read For Flash ActionScripters too!, Aug. 31 2005
Mark Lapasa (Mississauga, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to organise your sporadic knowledge, Nov. 26 2005
Dr. Mike Tanker (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Head First Design Patterns (Paperback)
Written in fun manner it nevertheless gives a comprehensive description of design patterns. I found that patterns authors emphasise the most are really those I am using most often. And vice versa - those crowded to the end as "others" are really not so useful and common. Great structure and really nice editing and book design. Boring material flashed and coloured like I never seen before.
The examples with ducks are little bit annoying - I would prefer something more down-to-earth. Guru-grasshopper dialogs are just awesome. I even used some insights during my presentations - really convincing when you have to justify that or another pattern usage.
Actually it's the first time I regretted that books is not thick enough. I would love to see something like Service-Oriented Architecture or Agile Methodologies from this publisher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best introduction to pattern design and OO programing, Oct. 16 2006
William Hsiao (North Vancouver, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Head First Design Patterns (Paperback)
I'm a biologist learning to write applications so I only have a very limited background in application design. After trying to read the Gang of Four book by Gamma et al a numerous times with limited success, I stumble across this book and found it to be much more understandable and fun to read. It gives plenty of examples to illustrate subtle programming principles. It may not be as rigorous as the GoF book, but it's a great introduction to the topic. I would recommend reading this book in full and use the GoF book as a reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Head First Design Patterns, June 19 2009
Guo Jianhua (Seattle) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Head First Design Patterns (Paperback)
Great book for beginner to go through design pattern without boring yourself. The diagram and little conversation style is very interesting. Repeat all the key points through out the book, let you refresh your memory. It is recommended for self-learner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, July 14 2014
This review is from: Head First Design Patterns (Paperback)
Really great. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 5 2014
great book

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Head First Design Patterns
Head First Design Patterns by Kathy Sierra (Paperback - Nov. 4 2004)
CDN$ 62.99 CDN$ 39.46