5.0 out of 5 stars The second book you should buy if you have IBD, April 12 2004
This review is from: Straight from the Gut: Living with Crohn's Disease & Ulcerative Colitis (Paperback)
When you're diagnosed with IBD, you have no idea what's ahead. You've been having problems and now you finally have a cause... but no cure. It's a sobering moment.
I went to the major websites and found a book at the library (Jill Skylar's First Year book -- a great starter). I was beginning to learn what life with this disease was going to mean, but I still felt lost. I saw this book online and ordered it. I honestly wasn't expecting much as I've spent the last year reading books on Crohn's that were either total medicalese or the basics I already knew. Cliff's book turned out to be the book I was looking for... it's beyond the basics (What is this strange disease?) and yet suitable for the layman. Additionally, it lets you hear the voices of many other sufferers. With this disease, it's easy to feel like no one understands especially because many of us don't "look sick". Cliff covers all the major topics and does so with humor, compassion and hope. Read it if you're newly diagnosed, have been suffering or want to understand someone that has been -- I consider it the most valuable book in my Crohn's library.
Thank you, Cliff.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Book for Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis, June 11 2003
Straight From The Gut is a must have resource for anyone with Crohn's Disease or Ulcerative Colitis whether newly diagnosed or with longstanding disease. Additionally, family members, friends, or medical professionals involved in the care of these diseases must have this book.
The book is organized in a fashion that allows the reader to quickly locate specific information with well thought out chapters. The sections reviewing the current medical science are up to the minute current, comprehensive, and very readable. Most readers will quickly become hooked on the information and style, and end up reading the book from cover to cover.
Overall the tone of the book is one of empowerment for those who have these chronic diseases. The necessary information is provided to give one the tools to deal assertively with the medical system, insurance system, and the employment system. Balance is kept so that those more or less comfortable with managing these issues can find help in this book. The sections addressing personal relationships are honest and sometimes serious, but ultimately provide coping strategies and hope.
My favorite part of the book is the use of true personal vignettes taken from interviews with numerous people and included on nearly every page. These bring the book and the information to life, and make the reader with ties to these diseases repeatedly say to themselves "That is just like me".

5.0 out of 5 stars A "MUST HAVE" book for IBD info, June 10 2003
By A Customer
I have been so impressed by this book. As a UC sufferer of many years, I really felt at home reading it. There were so many things that I could relate to! The information is up-to-date and incredibly informative and helpful! And the quotes from everyone are just great - they really touched my heart and helped me to know that I am not alone in my thoughts and feelings.
For those with IBD, or their friends and family, this book is an exceptional addition to the library. If you buy nothing else regarding this disease, buy this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're living with Crohn's or colitis, get this book!, Aug. 13 2003
By A Customer
An excellent resource for people living with Inflammatory Bowel Disease and their loved ones. It's like your own personal support group. The facts given about the diseases, including what to expect with various treatments and procedures, plus the personal insights offered by the many people quoted in the book are extremely useful. I highly receommend this book for anyone directly or indirectly affected by Crohn's and colitis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight from the Gut: Living with Crohn's Disease and Ulcer, Nov. 12 2003
Susan D. Proctor "suzproct" (Oakland, CA) - See all my reviews
This book was the best one I have read on the subject of UC & Crohn's Disease. I have done lots of research, on the Internet, the Library, talking to Doctors, and this one book answered all my questions. Whether you are looking for advice about drugs, surgery, food, working, insurance, or much more, this book has it all!!! I would strongly recommend adding it to your library.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Comprehensive Guide to IBD, May 31 2004
This is a great overview of the current management and treatment of inflammatory bowel disease. It covers medication, surgery, diet, insurance, and more. All in all, a great starting point for the newly diagnosed and their friends and family. I've bought a number of books on Crohn's disease, and this is by far the best general overview I've found.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real life with Chron's, June 29 2003
cindy van lammeren (Sun City California) - See all my reviews
What an outstanding Book! I cried and laughed knowing others share my experiences. Please share with professionals and family. This book was written by a genious with a gift for story telling that is not matched in this subject matter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Live and learn to live with IBD, July 27 2003
By A Customer
Cliff's book is one of the best I have ever read. It is factual, personal, inspiring and intimate. On behalf of everyone stiving to find a cure for IBD, thanks Cliff for all your hard work!

Straight from the Gut: Living with Crohn's Disease & Ulcerative Colitis