4.0 out of 5 stars Express yourself
Real programmers are regularly expressive. The concept is as important to programming languages and utilities as pointers are to "c". You can work your way around regular expression but you will never be great until you master them.

Published on Nov. 19 2010 by bernie

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many implementations covered
Published on Dec 15 2003 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many implementations covered, Dec 15 2003
Amazon Customer "mark_seattle" (Kirkland, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I love this series of books (the C#, C++ and STL pocket refs are my favorite), but the Regular Expression pocket ref tries to cover too many implementations. You only get about 10 pages for each language so, unless you use multiple implementations (e.g. C#/.NET, Perl, JavaScript, etc), this just isn't good value for money. I returned my copy and printed out a quick reference from one of the many Internet programming sites.

4.0 out of 5 stars Express yourself, Nov. 19 2010
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Regular Expression Pocket Reference: Regular Expressions for Perl, Ruby, PHP, Python, C, Java and .NET (Paperback)

An advantage and a disadvantage is that instead of concentrating on UNIX we get sidetracked on many secondary and transitory environments. The advantage is you can talk regular expressions with everyone. The disadvantage is I prefer concentration on AIX, HP/UX, SCO, SUN and other real programming environments; they could show all the different commands and integrated regular expressions.

Definition: Regular expressions are a language used for parsing and manipulating text. They are often used to perform complex search-and-replace operations and to validate the text data is Well-formed.

I use a lot of vi and sed so regular expression is regularly used.

Bottom line is there are better books for specific environments. This one crosses over disciplines and you never know with whom you may need to converse.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for looking up that question, Dec 7 2003
ueberhund "ueberhund" (Salt Lake City, UT United States) - See all my reviews
If you've ever picked up a copy of O'Reilly's Mastering Regular Expressions, then you'll feel right at home with this book. The Pocket Reference is all about usability, and this book is no exception. If you've never seen Mastering Regular Expressions, then this book takes the most important aspects of that book into about 80 pages.
This book is basically divided into various languages (Perl, C, Java, C#) with examples on how to use regular expressions with each language. In addition to discussing the built-in language specific functions that you should use, there is discussion on the differences and nuances to using regular expressions in the specific language.
If you need a desktop quick reference on regular expressions, then I would highly recommend this book. I have it next to my desk with the .NET section bookmarked. If you need something with a little more depth and explanation, then I would suggest picking up a copy of O'Reilly's Mastering Regular Expressions.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Regex Reference, March 10 2004
I recommend getting this book
if you feel comfortable with regular expressions
and regular expressions are important to you.
As one expects from an O'Reilly Pocket Reference,
this book is compact but still covers a lot of ground.
For a whole bunch of applications, it provides:
* tables of various groupings of regex metacharacters,
summarizing their syntax and meaning;
* summaries of other regex related features,
but not in tabular form;
* examples;
* a few references in case you need to go deeper.
The information is concise and well chosen.
This is a reference,
but in applications where you use regular expressions less,
it may also be useful for expanding your knowledge significantly.
It was for me.
If you wish, take a look at my
more detailed review on Oakland Perl Mongers.

4.0 out of 5 stars very useful little book, Sept. 9 2003
By A Customer
Nice compendium, flip thru this before tackling Friedl's Reg Ex book. Pocket refs're 7" high, <100 pages, so there's lots that could be added, some things to cut out.
- hilite significant diffs betw perl 5.8 & other regex modules e.g. MatchEvaluator delegates, or PHP's /U modifier. In particular, compare perl, java.util.regex & C#.
- either add emacs, or cut out vi. If you keep vi, hilite diffs betw vim & vi.
- mention performance issues (grouping, lookbehinds, stuff like that)
- mention deprecated modules to avoid: python regex, PHP's ereg_ functions
Aside from that, it's nice to have a portable summary of perl, python, C#, java and PHP, along with refs to Friedl's book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Beneficial, Sept. 30 2003
Brian Rehg (Swansea, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I've been programming with perl for seven years. I've always found it cumbersome trying to remember everything that regular expressions have to offer. Since I have purchased Regular Expression Pocket Reference I no longer have this problem. This book has been a tremendous help to me in utilizing the true power of regular expressions.
The explanations and examples are exceptionally clear and easy to comprehend. The book has improved my programming capabilities while making my job easier. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is required to use regular expressions or to the newbie who wants to learn how.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT reference, Nov. 7 2003
brent michalski (st. charles, mo United States) - See all my reviews
I totally love this little book! I love how the author cross-references with the Regular Expressions book, it makes getting into the gory details much easier.
This book is perfect for people like me who are always forgetting the little details about regular expressions.
If you program in Perl, PHP, Python, C or Java, I can't recommend this book enough! This book will definitely pay for itself quickly.

4.0 out of 5 stars All that and a bag of chips, Sept. 16 2003
By A Customer
I found this guide very useful. I learned a whole slew of new expressions to incorporate into my everyday vocabulary. To think, I'd been wasting my time saying things like, "Wicked cool!".
Stubblebine gives it to you in an easy-to-understand format. If he had other books I'd buy them (plus, I understand from some women in the geek community that he's a total babe!). Two thumbs up!

4.0 out of 5 stars Regarding the DavidPerry Review, Feb. 24 2004
Evan A. Bonnett (Mechanicsburg, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
Nice cut and paste of the Ann Coulter book review. I particularly liked the "Menckenesque invective" comment which made me think that I had remembered reading it somewhere before. Anyway, I just wanted the readers of these reviews to know not to trust that one. Some people actually use these reviews to make a choice and avoid wasting money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great reference, but not a tutorial, Nov. 20 2003
Amazon Customer (Southern California) - See all my reviews
The editorial blurb on this book suggests that it can be used as a tutorial by those new to regular expressions. That's not the case. This book is strictly a reference, albeit a very good one. I bought O'Reilly's "Mastering Regular Expressions" to learn the area, and I use this book as a quick reference. It serves that purpose very well.

CDN$ 17.99 CDN$ 11.51