march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 17 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on October 26, 2009
If you are new to JavaScript read this one first. Sure you will need to get another general JavaScript, book however at least you will be coding the way JavaScript should be written.

Coming from a C+/C#/VB background I always found JavaScript hard work. I know this is because the debugger etc in Visual Studio hides a lot of complexity and makes it easier for me. However that's the way it should be, I should not have to spend hours or days trying to debug two lines of code.

That aside this book took my OO knowledge and dragged me into the world of classless coding and made it understandable and interesting. Prior to reading this book I found a lot of JavaScript to be confusing and down right dumb. It's still confusing and downright dumb but at least I know why and can attempt to not make the same mistakes.

Please Note. This will NOT teach you how to solve particular problems in JavaScript. What it does is show you the direction you should take to resolve it.

Highly recommended particularly for people new to JavaScript with OO development background.
on September 2, 2011
As a Java web developer, I've used JavaScript quite a bit over the years, but never really liked it. Reading this book has changed my entire perception of JavaScript. It has given me a new appreciation of the language. Instead of mechanically explaining the syntax of the language, this book actually explains what is good about JavaScript, how to use it so that it will be a trusty friend (by focusing on its good parts) rather than a troublemaking backstabber (by avoiding the bad, ugly, and awful parts).

I have great respect for the author and appreciate his taking the time to write this book. It was a pleasure to read and got me excited about JavaScript because it was a tremendous help in learning how to use the language properly. Perhaps it is not a book for beginners, but if you know the basics but are tired of "programming by coincidence" and want to learn how to really effectively use the language, and actually have an easier time doing it because you will focus on a few very good parts (and flush out the bad parts from your memory), I highly recommend this book.
on May 31, 2013
This book pulls no punches. The author tears the language apart and rebuilds it with only the "good parts", showing how to create well-designed, maintainable, and secure programs in Javascript. The core language is not significantly different today than it was when this book was written so it has lost none of its relevance. Highly recommended for experienced programmers who want to lean how to use Javascript properly.
on April 18, 2016
I would not forgive myself if I did not write a review for this book. This is one of the best books I have ever read in my entire life. It does not only help me grasp and love Javascript, but also greatly improved my understanding the way of how to do better programming. As a programmer, if you have not read this book, you missed a very good part. So, if you want to learn Javascript, this is definitely the right book to read.

Like the author said, This book is small, but it is dense. It is very hard to understand some pages in the first read. I read every pages at least 3 times, some pages more than 10 times to get the idea fully. But the effort definitely got rewarded.
on May 26, 2015
I was a bit pessimistic about this book. I really didn't want another beginners how to programming book, after all I have been programming in other languages for a few years. This book surprised me though, I really learned a lot about how JavaScript works, and the misconceptions people normally have when they are coming from other classical object oriented languages. I definitely recommend this to anyone who is wanting to learn JavaScript or even those who are just exploring JavaScript frameworks for the first time.
on April 19, 2015
One of the best JavaScript books for any level to cover all the important aspects (and faults of JavaScript).

Book is great for beginners as it covers the basics and fundamentals of programming, but is good for people who are already experienced programmers who have never programmed in JavaScript.
on April 4, 2016
I find programming texts tough to get through, so I appreciated how short the book is. It certainly isn't comprehensive, but that isn't its purpose. A great read for anyone new to JavaScript, or someone who wants a refresher on some best practices and pitfalls.
on November 14, 2014
Dense, clear and concise. Very opinionated, which is a good thing. The breakdowns of code structure are really useful, but sometimes they are hard to follow, but this is a great book overall.
on February 14, 2011
This book is just as enjoyable as everyone says it is. Douglas Crockford makes JavaScript make sense. Explains best practices and useful patterns.. It helps make [...] even more fun.
on December 4, 2014
Absolutely fantastic. Douglas has put together a great book on JavaScript and its many pitfalls and good parts.

His coverage of closures and objects is incredible.