5.0 out of 5 stars getting out of the box, Sept. 7 2010
Jamie Billingham (Chilliwack BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gamestorming: A Playbook for Innovators, Rulebreakers, and Changemakers (Paperback)
I don't know about you but for me every meeting, presentation or workshop is an opportunity to get myself and participants to think outside of the box. Over the years I have collected many ways to do this but nothing I have put together compares to this book. It's all here, everything you ever wanted to know about getting people to think in a different way. Best of all it's laid out in a way that makes it easy to follow, the sections make finding ideas easy and the instructions are clear and simple to interpret.

I really loved that some of my favorite engagement exercises were included. It's always validating to see the things you do replicated in print. What I loved even more were the ideas that were new to me. Lots of new openings, processes and closing to try out.

I'd recommend this to anyone who leads meeting, conferences, workshop or teaches. The concepts are easy to adapt into any of these environments. I'm also finding that I can use some of the exercises on my own, as a way to help myself see things a bit differently. All in all one of the best book investments I've made this year.

4.0 out of 5 stars have fun while creating great things, July 26 2011
mko "mko" (Poland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
If you want to came up with something you usually have two options. Either you go with some kind of process (this way is usually good one if you want to have your back covered) or you go with unconventional methods (if you have enough money to cover your expenses in case of failure). The second approach is what Gamestorming is all about. First of all, you get the explanation of what playing game is all about. This is very important part, because it will give you arguments when it comes to convince other people to play a little bit instead of just 'inventing' things through regular process of 'thinking'. It might be hard work to convince your co-workers to use this way of solving issues. Many people find 'playing games' a perfect example of wasting the time. That's why it is very good idea to show how playing games makes your brain work different way. After explaining the concept of gamestorming authors go through various examples of games that might help you solve your problems. The collection of games is really impressive. There are almost 100 different games presented within the book. Games are divided into sections that help you solve particular issues. Opening games help you produce ideas quickly, exploring games help you go through the ideas you came up with, closing games help you to get into the end of the innovation process. Reading the book really is fun, however, mind one thing. Not everybody likes to play. If your colleagues do not like to play RPGs, they don't know what RTS is, and board games are just a mean of wasting time, gamestorming is probably not good for you. I agree that pushing people into 'another worlds', with different rules might be good way of finding what hasn't been found yet, however ' not everybody is ready for that. Not everybody likes to play. People simply feel very uncomfortable in this kind of situations. I think that book should be read by people who either have their own company or have team of really open minded co-workers ' people who like to explore alternative ways of finding solutions. I find this book very inspiring, but, you know, I have graduated from philosophy (among the others) and studying philosophy is by itself similar to playing with ideas and exploring new worlds

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic, July 8 2013
Allan (North York, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
If you're going to use a highlighter, you may as well just colour the entire book yellow. So dense with ideas, you can spend a week thinking about the content of just one page. Written in a way that is neither too simplified, or too complex. Very easy to follow & implement. Author describes ideas that were just vague assumptions in a concrete, tangible way that's pretty impressive.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Structure and Choices for Organizing Creative Tasks, June 10 2011
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
"A desire accomplished is sweet to the soul," -- Proverbs 13:9 (NKJV)

When I meet entrepreneurs, I find that most of them lack an understanding of creative processes and tools that they might use to create superior solutions. Almost all of them are too reluctant to involve other people, denying themselves access to deep reservoirs of knowledge, experience, and inspiration.

I think that Gamestorming will be an invaluable resource to those who want to accomplish more . . . but are unsure how to organize their efforts. While the book claims to be aimed at both advanced game practitioners and newbies, I think the book fits the newbie group much better than those with deep game experience and skill.

While the book deals with a lot of different conceptual issues, it's surprisingly weak on drawing on very large communities for insights . . . of the sort that various Web 2.0 technologies seek to engage. That's okay. An innovator can find information about such methods elsewhere.

I intend to tell my entrepreneurial students about this book. I'm sure it will help them.

Gamestorming: A Playbook for Innovators, Rulebreakers, and Changemakers