4.0 out of 5 stars A Female Indiana Jones

Published on Dec 24 1999 by Joy Kim

4.0 out of 5 stars A Female Indiana Jones, Aug. 8 2003
Oddsfish (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Illyrian Adventure (Paperback)
I've been a Lloyd Alexander fan for a long time. His Westmark Trilogy and Prydain Chronicles are certainly some of my favorities for their high adventure, dry wit, and extraordinary depth. I've even exchanged letters with Alexander. Needless to say, I've been excited to begin the Vesper Holly books for a long times, and while this one is not quite up to the level of Westmark and Prydain, I am not disappointed.
Vesper Holly is quite a girl. She has a knack for getting into finding trouble and adventure. In this novel, she drags her Uncle Brinnie to Illyria and into a civil war with its roots in ancient mythology. Together, Vesper and Brinnie have to try to unite the country by bringing together the king and the leader of the rebel forces. Of course, the plot contains a lot of murder attempts and quick escapes and mysterious plot twists. It's certainly a fun, fast ride.
There is a lot that's great about this book. I'm always a stickler for good high adventure, and the humor, action, and characters of The Illyrian Adventure provide that. The only problem with the book is that it stops there. Where Prydain and Westmark have underlying messages about such things as political philosophy, the nature of heroism, and the ability of love to cut through the chaos of the world, this book did not have that depth. Certainly, read this book, but read Westmark and Prydain first.

3.0 out of 5 stars A fun book, but lacking the depth of Alexander's other works, Dec 24 1999
This review is from: The Illyrian Adventure (Paperback)
Please don't misinterpret the three star rating -- I certainly enjoyed _The Illyrian Adventure_ considerably. It truly is an adventure, moving at breakneck speed from beginning to end. I was pleased by Alexander's creation of another strong female character (a la Mickle of the Westmark Trilogy and Eilonwy of the Prydain books) in Vesper Holly. I don't think, however, that this book (or any of the Vesper Holly books) compares to those previous series. The Westmark trilogy and Prydain books have a greater depth of meaning, they raise questions about right and wrong, good and evil, and heroism and cowardice which linger long after the first (or fifth or sixth!) reading. This book is a fun read, possessing a large quantity of Alexander's dry humor, but in the end you remember it as amusing rather than meaningful.
I'd recommend it to younger middle readers who might not be ready to read something as dense as the Westmark books or to true Alexander fans who love everything he writes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge a book by it's cover., March 3 2000
Livi Clare (La Paz, Mexico) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Illyrian Adventure (Paperback)
The Illyrian Adventure is one of Lloyd Alexander's very best books. As an eighteen year old student applying to universities, I have written entrance essays on this book. I wish that I had read it when I was younger. It is an excellent book about a fearless heroine, and it has that truly inspiring flavour of all of Alexander's work. Not only is it fun to read (I've lost track of how many times I've read it this year), but it leaves you with a yearning to get up and go, to follow dreams. Vesper Holly is a wonderfull role model, if I ever have children, this will certainly be one of the first books I'd want them to hear. Go Vesper!

3.0 out of 5 stars So so, May 25 2000
This review is from: The Illyrian Adventure (Paperback)
The Illyrian Adventure wasn't a bad read. If you like a little bit of adventure along with a small amount of mystery you should read this book. I thought the characters were a little mixed up, the girl, Vesper, is rather naive and her uncle Brinnie is even worse. The characters have no depth, but the story line is good.

5.0 out of 5 stars VERYVERYVERYVERYVERYVERYVERYVERYVERYVERYVERY GOOD!!, Dec 15 1998
This review is from: Illyrian Adventure (Paperback)
Lloyd Alexander rules!! This book is exciting and adventurous. LOVE IT!!
Who is Nilo, really? Why did he just happen to show up at exactly the right time the Vesper and Professor Brinton need him? And that doctor; what's with him? HAHA! Lloyd Alexander makes an excellent story for anyone who likes to read!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book should be read everyone, youg or old!!!, April 30 1999
This review is from: The Illyrian Adventure (Paperback)
This is the first book (and the best) of the Vesper Holly series. Everyone will love Vesper and her sense of adventure. If you havn't read this book drop every thing, and head for the nearest bookstore or library.

2.0 out of 5 stars It is an ok book, Feb. 17 2004
This review is from: Illyrian Adventure (Paperback)
I did not like The Illyrian Adventure because I didn't like because the main character. Vesper is a know it all. She can speak five different languages and can figure clues out before anyone else. Her arm was cut and she didn't even worry about it. Someone was stalking them and Vesper knew how to get out of it. She just wasn't believable.

The Illyrian Adventure is about a girl whose Dad died. He was an archaeologist. His daughter, Vesper, and her guardian went to Illyria. When they got there they met King Osman. He gave them permission to go through Illyria and finish what her father had started, to find the treasure. On the trip someone was following them. They found someone to help in their adventure. Find out if Vesper and her Guardian find the treasure by reading the Illyrian Adventure.
I would recommend it to anyone who likes adventure and mystery. I would recommend it to anyone eleven to thirteen.

The Illyrian Adventure
The Illyrian Adventure by Lloyd Alexander (Turtleback - July 1990)
Out of stock