5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun at Any Age
I first read this book when I was 12 or 13. It was great. I recently have re-read it, at age 33, and it is still a good read. A Spell for Chameleon is one of Mr. Anthony's best books even after 20 years as a writer and well worth the read for anyone interesting in magic or fantasy.
In particular, the story centers on a young man named "Bink." In any...
Published on Nov. 24 2000 by Richard La Fianza

3.0 out of 5 stars It's an ok book
This book was ok. It so would have been better if he left out the nudity in it but besides that it has a good story line and good meaning too it. I won't be buying any of his other book though maybe checking them out at the library but definitely not buying them.
Published on Jan. 31 2002 by M. Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars It's an ok book, Jan. 31 2002
M. Smith (Everywhere and Anywhere) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun at Any Age, Nov. 24 2000
In particular, the story centers on a young man named "Bink." In any other world, Bink would have it made. He is young, strong, a good fighter, and good looking. He has a beautiful girl and a good family.
Unfortunately, Bink lives in Xanth, a land of magic. In Xanth magic is so common that those without it seems strange. Indeed to be a human without magic, is to be a human who eventually will be expelled from Xanth. Bink does have magic, he just doesn't know what it is. As such, he is to be expelled from Xanth to a mundane world without magic.
In his adventures, he comes across a magician who controls the weather, another who can transform people to any creature at any time, and still another who is a master of illusions. He fights with dragons and giant worms, flees from hungry plants, and eventually comes entangled in a plot to overthown the current king. Along the way, he makes friends, falls in love, and, eventually, learns what his magic talent is.
A Spell for Chameleon is everything a fantasy book should be. It has adventure, romance, irony, and monsters. It is light hearted and a pleasant read. I enjoyed it very much and, if you like fantasy books, I think you will too.

3.0 out of 5 stars good for the right demographic...., July 12 2000
Austin Grisham "fourwalker" (Plainsboro, N.J. USA) - See all my reviews
You tend to see polarized reactions to Xanth. People either love it, or hate it. I think thats because the Xanth series has a limited appeal (mainly to boys between the ages of 11 and 14).
You see, I have been in both positions. In my pre and early teens I read just about every Xanth book there was, by my late teens I wouldn't get near any of Anthony's work. At the grand old age of 22 I can look back and see why I enjoyed it when I enjoyed it.
Anthony does the entire sword and sorcery thing and adroitly mixes in lots of sexual tension and innuendo. The later is what makes it so appealing to teenage boys. Young guys swimming with hormones just eat it up. However, once you get out of the initial stages of adolesence, Xanth, with its puns and predictable plot line, becomes very boring.
You'll gobble this book up, as well as its subsequent sequels, if you're in the aforementioned demographic, but probably won't like it if you aren't (although I have talked to a few women in their 20's and early 30's who like it). When it comes down to it Xanth is like one of those teeny-bopper rock groups, you really dig it for a short time, and then throw it away with disgust.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!! I couldn't put it down!, May 13 2004
TonyM (Atlanta, GA United States) - See all my reviews
I just finished this book! It is soooo good! If you enjoy fantasy you'll love this book. It is full of action, suspense, magic, and mystery all rolled into one neat story!!!! I ASSURE you if you read this book, you will NOT be disapointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!, April 14 2004
Vega (Washington) - See all my reviews
Lately, have you run into any carnivorous Tangler trees? Haw about the gigantic, Roc bird, or a Manticore (shown on the cover of the book). Do you get your shoes of a ripe shoe tree. If so, you're living in Piers Anthony's magical land of Xanth!
Introducing the average, Earth dwelling human to this fantasy world could prove to be difficult. But Anthony mastered this with wit, extraordinary word choice, and well formed characters. He begins this mystical series with 'A Spell for Chameleon'. Bink of the North Village has no magic talent. Every citizen in Xanth is born with a talent, even if it's what is called "spot on the wall" magic; a useless talent. If a citizen of Xanth does not have apparent magic by age 25, they would be banished. All the kids in North Village taunted him about his seemingly lack of magic, they would laugh and call him the "Talentless Wonder", and harassed him with dim -witted logic and what Anthony calls 'garden variety' magic. They would never be further off in assuming Bink had no magic within him!
Bink, although he was a supposed talentless wonder, was no weakling, in intellect nor body. If the other children were to race him, Bink always won. Well he won according to "Mundane" (no magic) rules. But when magic interfered some cheap kid who could create an illusionary hole, or run through hills, generally won. Still , Bink grew p to be a fine mane, and held no hindrance to magic itself. In fact, Bink was quite curious about it. But curiosity does not help you find a magic talent, and in a couple of weeks Bink would be banished to Mundania, a world with no magic, otherwise known as "Earth".
Apparently having no magic in a magical land is bad enough, but there is more to it. There would be no exception made for Bink, unless he had a visible talent, and he would be banished not long after his 25th birthday. The decrepit Storm King, Xanth's current king, enforced this law wholly. The only thing Bink could think to do is go to the Good Magician Humfrey, who has all the answers. Also, Humfrey charges one years service per answer, and Bink would have to stay and fulfill his payment before he was banished.
Bink is sent on a journey that would discover some amazing secrets, and repeal all accusations. along the way, he would meet many friends and magical creatures, as well as the previous Evil Magician Trent, who has definitely changed his scene.
A Spell for Chameleon is a definite must-read for any fantasy fan, and any other book fan at that! If you enjoy a witty, clever, creative and fun book, I would recommend any Piers Anthony book!

5.0 out of 5 stars The First Step to a Magical World, Feb. 17 2004
Rhett Chien (Taipei, Taiwan) - See all my reviews
I have been always reading fantasy books such as Harry Potter for my entire life. But this book was extremely good, no other fantasy books can ever compare with this book! Just a few months ago, a friend of mine lent me this book to read over the winter, which a teacher introduced her to read. As usual, I took this book casually as though I read this many times and took it without notice. However, as I started reading, I was immediately emerging into the book. It did not seem like any other original fantasy as I have read before like Harry Potter; talking about magic and casting spells! This book, took me into magical worlds where I could never have imagined and the description makes me feel like I¡m watching the characters doing things first-hand.
There is one unique way in how Mr. Anthony writes, which I really admire. Each character he describes is really different from each other and unusual. I¡m using the word unusual is because one of the characters he described was known as a villain however this villain turned out not doing any villainous action. Basically, he misleaded us and surprised us!
In this book, each person/character obtains a skill, where each individual has his or her own magic. However, the main character Bink was forced to lead a magical journey and duels with the most evil wizard known in his magical world. If one likes to read books about magic, adventure, and fantasy this is a must read book!
Also, since I have started this fantasy, I have never stopped reading, up till now; I have read the first three series of Xanth (the name this magical world Bink and the other characters dwell in). I¡m going to continue and finish the rest of the series about Xanth since this book is really good!

4.0 out of 5 stars Xanth series 1-14 review... Entertaining quick reads, Feb. 11 2004
Christopher Nash "Fantasy Fanatic" (Whiteman AFB MO) - See all my reviews
I passed by these books everytime I went to the book store. I didn't think I would enjoy these novels, they looked too childish. I finally ran out of other fiction to read, so I picked the first book up in a used book store. Boy was I surprised. I enjoyed it so much I decided to buy the whole series. This series definitely has a quirky side to it. However it is a very enjoyable fantasy series. Full of excellent imagery, characters and storylines. Mr. Anthony is constantly coming up with interesting new stories for this series. The puns don't destroy the fantasy element. They add an enjoyable sidenote. These novels took me through a variety of emotions (most of which either had me chuckling or laughing outloud). "Question Quest" (book #14) is the last book in the series that I have read so far. I definitely plan on reading the rest though.
I have read more than 450 fantasy novels in the past 15+ years, so I am always trying to find something a little new and entertaining. Xanth definitely fills this requirement. I highly recommend these novels for a quick light read.

4.0 out of 5 stars xantherific, Jan. 14 2004
"joepaterno" (Happyvalley, PA) - See all my reviews
I would have given this work 5 stars if the main persons name was not Bink. That was hard to get passed. Besides that the rest of the book was wonderful. The juxtaposition (no pun intended) between xanth and dreary old mundania was facinating. The character development was first rate. The puns were very entertaining. The world he created in xanth was so real it was just amazing. I would hope in his future books he could develop mundania a little more. It could have used more detail, so that we could learn a little of what mundania was like besides being dreary.

4.0 out of 5 stars Despite Bink's Sexist Attitude, I Enjoyed "Chameleon", Dec 8 2003
Andy Rector (Louisville, KY) - See all my reviews
I read this ten years ago and with a rereading I still enjoy the characters and the introduction to the imaginative world of Xanth. Maybe I am more politically correct these days, but Bink comes across as shallow and sexist. He is an interesting character, but his attitude toward women leaves something to be desired. I'm not sure what the author's trying to say--Bink decides he can't settle down with just one woman, but a woman like Dee will do because she never looks the same way twice. Besides that, I thoroughly enjoyed this tale and am looking forward to reading other books from this series--again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love at first read, Nov. 14 2003
I am not a fantasy reader. I never have been, until I read this book. It seems to me that all of the other fantasy novels include such ridiculus names that you can't seem to remember who is who which really frustrated me, so I never took a liking to them. Well, at least that was how it was with me! But with this book, the characters that Piers Anthony portrays is a whole different story. You come to form a bond between them. You learn about their families, their lives and follow them throughout their adventures and trials of love and challenges. They aren't much different from us except that they harvest pies from trees in their backyard and everybody has a magical talent! I was very skeptical at first when my friend gave it to me to read. I opened it up and read the first 10 pages and I was like Noooo way! This is crazy! What are all these puns doing in here and WHY? But, my friend just told me to keep reading. That was 2 1/2 years ago! I am STILL reading the Xanth novels today. So far I am on book 21. But, I have to say the original characters, Bink, Chameleon, Trent, Iris, and their children Dor and Irene, Old Magician Humphrey, and the centaurs Chet and Chem are still my favorite today. I miss those old characters! And what is really wonderful is that they age right along with you! Every book is (in Xanth) about 3 years apart to keep things moving. But old Binker is still my favorite! So...if your not a Fantasy lover currently, just pick up this book and give it a good read. I think you will change your mind. I can't tell you how many times I laughed out loud or (Shhhh) sniffled, or was on the edge of my seat!
This whole series is very light-hearted, easy to read and just a lot of fun to ecsape from reality with.
But, I must say if you do start reading this series I strongly recommend not skipping any books (unless you absolutely must).
Just have fun with it and don't take it too seriously.

A Spell for Chameleon
A Spell for Chameleon by Piers Anthony (Turtleback - Feb. 1987)
Used & New from: CDN$ 84.14