5.0 out of 5 stars AN INDISPENSABLE KITCHEN REFERENCE
For those who haven't had the pleasure of shopping at Ina Garten's specialty food store in the Hamptons The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook delivers - literally. Some 160 gorgeous photos plus Ina's favorite recipes fill the 252 pages of this indispensable kitchen reference.

Published on Nov. 9 2006 by Gail Cooke

3.0 out of 5 stars I would give it 3.5 stars but that wasn't a choice...
Published on Feb. 3 2002 by Karen

5.0 out of 5 stars AN INDISPENSABLE KITCHEN REFERENCE, Nov. 9 2006
Gail Cooke (TX, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook (Hardcover)

As Martha Stewart writes in her Foreword, Ina is unique. "There is a freshness in cooking, a total lack of finickiness, a reliance on the freshest and best, and a casualness that I know will be appealing to everyone who uses her book." How true!

Ina stresses freshness, noting that after several weeks in Provence where she found radishes and carrots with "soil still clinging to them," she determined to base her cooking on ingredients from local sources. A lesson for us all.

Hosting a cocktail party, she decided, was not much fun if she spent all of her time running back and forth to the kitchen to get hot hors d'oeuvres out of the oven. So, she does everything possible to be sure that she does not leave the room. For instance, she has a table with all the drink fixings on it, and appetizers that can be served at room temperature so everything is either out or ready to pass when the first guest arrives. Thus we find common sense and uncommonly good appetizers from Roasted Eggplant spread to Guacamole to Smoked Salmon Sandwiches.

Her soups are splendid, most of them starting with sauteed onions "to give a sweet, rich flavor to the stock." Parker's Split Pea Soup, which Steven Spielberg said tasted just like his mother's, is rich, hearty and beautifully presented topped either with toasted croutons or diced smoked ham.

The joy Ina finds in cooking is evident in all of her dishes. She's a cook who makes simple food very, very special.

Highly recommended.

- Gail Cooke

3.0 out of 5 stars I would give it 3.5 stars but that wasn't a choice..., Feb. 3 2002
This review is from: The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook (Hardcover)
This is a visually beautiful cookbook. Some of the recipes are less-than-basic, but worth it -- I have gotten "best ever" reviews on a couple recipes. Certain recipes however are hit or miss and require a little ad-libbing. For example the salmon with fennel was missing something, beef bourgonion sauce reduced to nothing, the coconut cream cheese frosting yields twice the amount necessary (even if you dump the frosting on!) and the guacamole requires at least double the spices.....(the cupcakes and the guacamole by the way, are both excellent as is the whole chicken.) I don't know - maybe they got tired in the test-kitchen before they finished the book. Still worth the purchase - when it's good it's great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Barefoot Contessa is the BEST!, April 30 2004
This review is from: The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook (Hardcover)
With an extensive cookbook collection, it is rare for me to make more than one or two recipes out of a single cookbook. This book would have to be the exception to that rule. I would highly recommend this book to any of you. I have a large family, the recipe sizes do not intimidate, and do not require doubling for our family gatherings. Ingredients are high quality, and fresh. I have made the Pecan Squares and taken them to work, handed out the recipe to nearly everyone. The Maple Oat Scones have been made approximately a dozen times, and are always a hit! Veggies roasted in the oven? Incredible. Buy it, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love her books!!, Sept. 16 2002
Betsy R. (Highland Park, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook (Hardcover)
This is a great cookbook filled with recipes you actually would want to eat. They are simple to follow and don't have too many ingredients. I've made so many things from her books and everything has been delicious. You will not be dissappointed in this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice recipes, but impractically rich, June 11 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook (Hardcover)
There's no doubt that Ina Garten's recipes are almost universally delicious. Every single item I've tried from this book has been a hit.
A big but, however: These things taste so great because they contain WAY more fat and sugar than the everyday versions of the dishes. This is standard practice in the restaurant/catering industry, but there is a reason that gravy at your favorite restaurant tastes so much different from your grandma's. Granny didn't load hers up with a cup of whipping cream on top of a heavy butter/flour roux.
Where the standard "Joy of Cooking" recipe for an item might call for whole milk, Ina uses heavy cream. Where Fannie Farmer wants 2 tablespoons of butter, Ina uses half a cup. Please explain to me why mashed potatoes need heavy cream, butter and sour cream.
I'm far from a dietary scold, but this book has to be used as for special occasions only. Live on a day-to-day diet of these recipes, and you're going to end up looking like their author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unpretentious and Yummy, July 13 2003
"suziebeezie" (San Gabriel, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook (Hardcover)
This is my favorite cookbook. Everything I've made so far has been lovely enough to serve guests, yet unfussy to prepare. Recipes focus on fresh, in-season foods enhanced with seasonings or sauces rather than drowned in them. (Although look elsewhere for low-fat cooking.)
This is "welcome to my house, relax, eat this simple yet delicious food" food rather than "look, you're so lucky to be in my house eating with me, because I'm chic and trendy, and I'm using obscure ingredients" food.
Yay, Ina.

5.0 out of 5 stars One you will come back too over and over again, Nov. 10 2008
This review is from: The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook (Hardcover)
This cookbook is one that I've found myself coming back too over and over again. The recipes are simple and the ingredients used are very accessible. I get asked over and over again for the recipes from whomever I have served the food to.

A few of my favourite recipes from this book are the Roasted Eggplant dip, The lemon chicken, The curried couscous salad... I could go on and on.

I have bought this cookbook for myself and so far three times more for friends and family. I can think of at least two more people who I plan to purchase it for this Christmas. It is at the top of my list for the home cook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!, April 24 2004
Terry Harmon (Camarillo, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook (Hardcover)
This is definitely a must have for any kitchen or coffee table. The recipes are delicious!! The pictures are beautiful. She is absolutely awesome!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Foodie, April 9 2004
Amy V. Ang (Cincinnati, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook (Hardcover)
I try very hard to be a good cook, however, my repetoire needs to grow. When it comes to inspiration and good taste, this book can't be beat. It's been no fail everytime in my kitchen and makes me look like a genius.

5.0 out of 5 stars A cookbook from someone who can really cook!, March 27 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook (Hardcover)
I've made several of the recipes in this book. They are clear and easy to follow, and they are delicious. Ina Garten knows food!

ARRAY(0xa4a0bb4c)

The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook
The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook by Ina Garten (Hardcover - April 6 1999)
CDN$ 40.00 CDN$ 25.08