5.0 out of 5 stars The End of Therapy
I had a story. It wasn't a happy story. It was about an abusive childhoood. I wore that story like a pair of sunglasses. I saw my world through that story. I kept spoiling my present with those past experiences.
Published on June 14 2003 by Jan

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit simplistic
Published 1 month ago by thelmablue

5.0 out of 5 stars The End of Therapy, June 14 2003
This review is from: Loving What Is: Four Questions That Can Change Your Life (Hardcover)
"The Work" a process contained in this book is the only system that allowed me to really get to the truth of my story - ah - the story under such examination just started dropping away.
This book is not in competition with any other. No other book can take its place. The niche is unique. In A Course in Miracles you are told forgiveness is the key but no one gives you a road map for how to do that - Byron Katies does. In The Power of Now Eckhardt Tolle tells us to be fully in the present moment and just be aware of the pain body - Byron Katie tells you to investigate that pain body so that it can drop away.
For me, this was the single best book that I've experienced that genuinely helped me...I went to A Course in Miracles classes for over 7 years - no real change - I read and am doing The Work in Loving What Is - major changes in two weeks....
I'm very thankful for this book, this work.

I'd like to say that now I wear sunglasses so that people won't be blinded by the light coming from my eyes...but that's stretching it a bit - I'm just a lot happier!

5.0 out of 5 stars It IS True!!!, Oct. 31 2003
By A Customer
I've been reading through some of the reviews of this book. The negative reviewers make statements such as, "It's too basic. It's a band-aide approach. She's unqualified." I think the question they need to ask is exactly what Katie teaches, "Is it true? Can you absolutely know it's true?" What makes a person "Qualified" anyway--a piece of paper? I've met garbage collectors that I considered more "qualified" to comment on "life" than some therapists who had the "credentials." Qualified, like beauty, is in the eyes of the beholder.
This "work" has helped me tremendously in changing my thinking. It's helped me identify the "stories" I create around the actual truth, and it's helped me realize that those stories are what create my suffering--not the actual reality itself. I think the main thing Katie helps people do is shed their "victim consciousness" and empower themselves. We all create our own reality. She simply helps us "examine" what we're creating and change our perceptions about it. It's in changing those perceptions that we are able to stop creating the same "patterns" over and over again and create more "consciously." And as Forest Gump would say, "That's all I have to say about that!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Katie is RIGHT!, July 13 2010
Amazon User - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Katie encourages people to take responsibility for their own life, their own happiness by questioning their own thoughts. She says there is my business, your business and God's business...I found the peace I was seeking when I stayed in my business. This is definitely worth the money! You can't put a dollar sign on peace of mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, an antidote for obsessiveness, March 22 2002
A friend of mind literally put this book in my hands. I had been obsessing about someone for months. I have a meditation practice, a therapist, friends who had been listening to me patiently. But this book seems to be helping in a way nothing else has. This cool thing called "The Work"--where you have to write down what's bothering you and then ask four questions and turn your problem around--made me see that he had hurt me once, but I was hurting me every single day, with my thoughts, repeating the whole thing over and over, letting it take me over. I feel so much lighter about the whole thing now, even kind of amused at times by my own craziness. I really recommend this book to anyone who thinks too much. And I really want to meet Byron Katie someday--the way she talks about Reality being God--if only we were willing to truly see it, the way she talks in general is kind of startling, wakes you up. In person, she must be amazing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ask the question of yourself, what is my belief ..., July 27 2014
Ask the question of yourself, what is my belief system and is it really true. This book will help you to discover new insights and beliefs about yourself. This in turn will help you take charge of your life and make the necessary changes to live a full
enriching life.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit simplistic, June 26 2014
The person who was repeatedly sexually abused at 9 years old and then as an adult managed to turn the issue around to I'm abusing myself (with thoughts) doesn't quite work for me. It's just not that easy to stop the thoughts. Perhaps with a professional helping with the questions the technique could be more realistic. However, there is some thought-provoking material in this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loving What Is ? Yes !, May 27 2014
Karen Cote Rooney (Knowlton, Quebec, CA) - See all my reviews
Thought provoking book that leads to greater personal awareness presented in a clear, concise, easy to follow manner. Love What Is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, April 10 2014
Ms. Laura Lambell (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
I think this will be a very helpful book. Of course because it has exercises it's not quick to get through but by engaging oneself one can get the greatest results

5.0 out of 5 stars Simplest Formula for Peace Ever, Feb. 6 2014
Byron Katie's four questions are the simplest and most powerful of any of the several processes I have studied and tried to bring calm and peace to any disturbing situation - old or new. Do yourself a big favour and let these become a habit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Goes to the heart of the matter..., Oct. 12 2013
Something here for everyone.....straightforward and helpful. A book you will return to when living becomes challenging. She challenges your thinking while guiding you to the answer.

Loving What Is: Four Questions That Can Change Your Life
Loving What Is: Four Questions That Can Change Your Life by Stephen Mitchell (Hardcover - March 19 2002)
Used & New from: CDN$ 4.01