5.0 out of 5 stars The End of Therapy
I had a story. It wasn't a happy story. It was about an abusive childhoood. I wore that story like a pair of sunglasses. I saw my world through that story. I kept spoiling my present with those past experiences.
Published on June 14 2003 by Jan

2.0 out of 5 stars an acorn of truth, but...
I bought this book mainly because of my respect for Stephen Mitchell, Katie's husband, who provides a compelling forward. The idea of inquiry is valid and helpful, and I am definitely going to examine some relationships in my life by her method.
Published on Jan. 2 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars The End of Therapy, June 14 2003
This review is from: Loving What Is: Four Questions That Can Change Your Life (Hardcover)
"The Work" a process contained in this book is the only system that allowed me to really get to the truth of my story - ah - the story under such examination just started dropping away.
This book is not in competition with any other. No other book can take its place. The niche is unique. In A Course in Miracles you are told forgiveness is the key but no one gives you a road map for how to do that - Byron Katies does. In The Power of Now Eckhardt Tolle tells us to be fully in the present moment and just be aware of the pain body - Byron Katie tells you to investigate that pain body so that it can drop away.
For me, this was the single best book that I've experienced that genuinely helped me...I went to A Course in Miracles classes for over 7 years - no real change - I read and am doing The Work in Loving What Is - major changes in two weeks....
I'm very thankful for this book, this work.

I'd like to say that now I wear sunglasses so that people won't be blinded by the light coming from my eyes...but that's stretching it a bit - I'm just a lot happier!

4.0 out of 5 stars Discovering yourself through Inquiry, May 14 2002
By A Customer
In Loving What Is, the authors explain Byron Katie's technique, called "The Work." It is about how to resolve problems, live from a place of peace and aliveness, and how to examine what is, rather than our thoughts about what is. Her approach is refreshing and inspiring. The technique centers around what Katie calls the "Inquiry," four simple questions that allow people to discover how their own thoughts deceive them and create obstacles to a satisfying life. Her book illustrates the "Inquiry" with examples from people she has worked with. She addresses aspects of life that affect everyone: relationships and family, work and money, death and terror. What I enjoyed about her work and her style is that she encourages people to simply look at their thoughts and behaviors, without putting pressure on them to be different than they are. This allows their problems to dissolve. Rather than trying to solve peoples' problems, Katie takes them through a process of examining their reality and shares her enthusiasm and passion for living with awareness. Another book that explores the magic and ease of living in the present and the healing effect of discovering your own truth is Working On Yourself Doesn't Work by Ariel and Shya Kane. This is a simple, honest, and empowering book that captures the essence of how to live a rich, fulfilling and exciting life by letting go of mechanical behaviors from the past that stand in the way of aliveness and well-being.

5.0 out of 5 stars It IS True!!!, Oct. 31 2003
By A Customer
I've been reading through some of the reviews of this book. The negative reviewers make statements such as, "It's too basic. It's a band-aide approach. She's unqualified." I think the question they need to ask is exactly what Katie teaches, "Is it true? Can you absolutely know it's true?" What makes a person "Qualified" anyway--a piece of paper? I've met garbage collectors that I considered more "qualified" to comment on "life" than some therapists who had the "credentials." Qualified, like beauty, is in the eyes of the beholder.
This "work" has helped me tremendously in changing my thinking. It's helped me identify the "stories" I create around the actual truth, and it's helped me realize that those stories are what create my suffering--not the actual reality itself. I think the main thing Katie helps people do is shed their "victim consciousness" and empower themselves. We all create our own reality. She simply helps us "examine" what we're creating and change our perceptions about it. It's in changing those perceptions that we are able to stop creating the same "patterns" over and over again and create more "consciously." And as Forest Gump would say, "That's all I have to say about that!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Katie is RIGHT!, July 13 2010
Amazon User - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Katie encourages people to take responsibility for their own life, their own happiness by questioning their own thoughts. She says there is my business, your business and God's business...I found the peace I was seeking when I stayed in my business. This is definitely worth the money! You can't put a dollar sign on peace of mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it, July 10 2003
steve (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
You may love it, you may hate it. So simple it may be easy to miss the point. I found Katie's style and some of the wording a little off putting and some of the ideas challanging, but tried the questions for myself anyway. If you believe the road to change starts with self awareness and self acceptance, then katies questions certainly can't do any harm. My experience is that they are simple and profound. If you have a desire to challange your perceptions and question your view of the world, this is an excellent place to start. I've spent a fair bit of time and money on self help books, looking for answers. I've found myself a lot happier living with these four questions

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, an antidote for obsessiveness, March 22 2002
A friend of mind literally put this book in my hands. I had been obsessing about someone for months. I have a meditation practice, a therapist, friends who had been listening to me patiently. But this book seems to be helping in a way nothing else has. This cool thing called "The Work"--where you have to write down what's bothering you and then ask four questions and turn your problem around--made me see that he had hurt me once, but I was hurting me every single day, with my thoughts, repeating the whole thing over and over, letting it take me over. I feel so much lighter about the whole thing now, even kind of amused at times by my own craziness. I really recommend this book to anyone who thinks too much. And I really want to meet Byron Katie someday--the way she talks about Reality being God--if only we were willing to truly see it, the way she talks in general is kind of startling, wakes you up. In person, she must be amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Empowering Approach to Discover Your Truth, June 3 2004
By A Customer
The basis of this book is something the author calls "The Work," a set of four questions posed to find the solution or the truth in a problem. It is presented in dialogues between the author and participants. In this empowering process, the truths are revealed and problems are dissolved.
The book also addresses the concept of there being three kinds of business in the universe: mine, yours and God's (God's being anything outside of anyone's control). This was very insightful for me. When I found myself stressing over something, I asked myself, as the author suggests "whose business was I in mentally." I found the answers brought me back to myself and to the present moment. I also found humor in the answers, as I was most often in someone one else's' business and not in my own, thinking I knew better for him or her!
Another remarkable book and incredible resource is "Working On Your Relationship Doesn't Work" written by Ariel and Shya Kane. In their book, the Kanes share valuable insights into having and maintaining satisfying, enlivening and loving relationships, including the one with yourself, through an effortless, easy approach.
I highly recommend both of these life-inspiring books!

5.0 out of 5 stars And she has done better?, Feb. 27 2004
Elton McLendon (Paragould, Arkansas United States) - See all my reviews
I give this excellent book 5 stars, in spite of friends telling
me that Byron Katie has written even better ones. Amazon sent
me this book and recieved payment about the first of this year.
They are trying to send me another one tomorrow, along with a
book I ordered with this book tomorrow. I ordered 2 books, and
they sent this one first, and in error, somehow don't think they
have. I will get another copy shipped to me tomorrow, along with
the book they thought they shipped on the original order. Since
it is impossible to get to talk to a human, I cannot stop them
from making this error; so I will simply have to return it for
credit and wait for them to issue me credit for this one charge
my account for the other one I will get in tomorrow's shipment. I made 3 attempts to straighten this error out, but you cannot
enter all things that can go wrong into computor questions. Sometimes you need to talk to a person. When we finally get this
order straight, I will no longer buy books from anyone that will
not let you talk to a human being to get mistakes straightened
out. The book above was a great read and Byron Katie's work is
really in a class all by itself; the logical way she goes about
solving our problems from the inside out.

2.0 out of 5 stars an acorn of truth, but..., Jan. 2 2004
By A Customer
BUT...she carries the "work" to an extreme and tries to make it apply every time for every person. It crosses well over the border between peaceful acceptance and flat out denial. Like it or not, there are things in life that can't be rationalized away. The idea that "no person ever hurt another person" or did a wrong thing -- that's ludicrous. I agree that I have a choice about how I react when someone hits me in the head with a baseball bat, but that doesn't mean I can choose not to have a lump on my head or that I should convince myself that everything is groovy all the time. And I agree with another reveiwer who said that she pushes people toward answers that validate her methods, especially with the "should/should not" stuff. Saying "Bill hit me in the head with a baseball bat" is not the same as saying "Bill SHOULD hit me in the head with a baseball bat." Katie's assertion that everything is as it should be reminds me of the myopic schoolmaster in "Candide." (Life is happiness indeed!)
The so-called "work" is a potentially powerful tool. It's going to do a lot of people a lot of good -- but in certain situations, it could be very harmful. To hear an example of Katie in action, go to her website [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars do you want to suffer a lot less?, Dec 28 2003
Matt Cook (Fairfax, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This book doesn't tell you what's what. It has no real philosophy in it. It simply gives you a simple way to discover your own truth.
I was very skeptical about even reading this book. Somehow I ordered it and it sat around in my collection of thousands of books. I was searching for a "spiritual solution" to my feeling terrible and this was one of many books I ordered.
Then one day, in emotional pain, I picked it up after reading many others. I started reading it.
I read and re-read. I went each chapter again and again and again.
A year and a half later, it is the only self-help book that I really care about. I have done "The Work" many many times and made it a part of me. I have purchased audio tapes of other people doing The Work.
My wife has asked me for help in The Work and my son also.
Here is what has happened to me: I suffer much less. I view every challenge in life as an opportunity for deeper self-realization. I am more comfortable with myself and my life. Things bother me less and less.
Bottom line: I am more in love with the truth than I ever was. I am still less than honest but I am more honest than I was, and loving the truth more and more as time goes on.
The truth does appear to set me free. Reading this book can help you see the truth for you. If you are interested then read this book.

Loving What Is: Four Questions That Can Change Your Life
Loving What Is: Four Questions That Can Change Your Life by Stephen Mitchell (Hardcover - March 19 2002)
Used & New from: CDN$ 16.99