4.0 out of 5 stars Solid and a huge help in the kitchen!
Published on April 2 2004 by none007

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best of the three
I've had this book for over a year and have only cooked a few recipes from it. Today I stopped and asked myself why, considering I use her other two books almost religiously! A couple things I figured out
Published on July 11 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid and a huge help in the kitchen!, April 2 2004
"none007" (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Barefoot Contessa Family Style: Easy Ideas and Recipes That Make Everyone Feel Like Family (Hardcover)
Ina Garten has proven herself to be a permanant fixture in my kitchen. It is interesting the kind of feedback this book. Cooking purists often seem to get quite worked up about it. It is true, Family Style contains many recipes that you can find in many other cookbooks. And if you are looking for that cliche, the "if-you-could-have-only-one-cookbook," I would agree with the masses that that book would have to be The Joy of Cooking. But there are many reasons why you should have more than just that book, and here are a few:
Many complain that this book is a bunch of classics that they all know how to make anyway. But this book is great for young people or people of any age, who are trying to gather fool-proof classics. I am only 23 and like most people my age, I haven't developed a repetoire of chicken noodle soup or pound cake. So for me this book is perfect.
Secondly, Ina's recipes are nearly fool-proof. If you are the least bit competant in the kitchen you will fare well with these recipes. Some of my favorites in this book are the shrimp scampi, parmessan chicken, smoked salmon fritatta, corn pudding and an easy gravy recipe I use all the time. At the moment I am lunching on her broccoli and bowties. Not a unique recipe, but like I said before, one I didn't use before and no go to often.
Many people don't like having so many pictures in a book and call it a waste of their money but I prefer this. I want to see what I am going to cook and rarely buy a cookbook without photos, unless it is highly recommended, such as the Joy of Cooking.
I say take a good look at the recipes before you buy the book. If you are satisfied with the recipes you already have for these true-blues, skip it. But if you are still searching for that perfect recipe, give this book a go. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, beautiful pictures, Feb. 27 2009
Iveta (Vancouver, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
Having cooked recipes from all Ina Garten's cookbooks and loving the results almost always, I thought that I should write a review on this one as well. The following is something that I appreciate with most Ina's books, including this one:
1) As is Ina's trademark - the recipes are accompanied by gorgeous pictures so that you awaken your tastebuds before cooking and know what it will look like;
2) The instructions are easy to follow, no special equipment necessary and the techniques are pretty basic for even a beginner cook;
3) The ingredients are likely already in your pantry or are easy to find in any well stocked supermarket;
4) Most recipes include helpful notes on what can be prepped before your guests/family arrive at the table so that you can relax and enjoy their company instead of running around at the last minute;
5) Results of your culinary efforts are extremely tasty and will earn you compliments (not that that should be the primary reason for cooking, but it does help feeling that you are being appreciated);
6) Most recipes are so good that you will keep using the book over and over instead of trying a few things and the cookbook gathering dust on the bookshelf (I am speaking from my own experience - I own a lot of books that disappointed a couple of times and never were used after - this is not the case of this book).
My personal favorites: Lasagna with turkey sausage; Real meatballs & spaghetti (my husband rated this as "the best meatballs you ever made"), Linguini with shrimp scampi (easy and surprisingly fast recipe that looks and tastes ellegant enough to serve guests for a dinner party), Raspberry cheesecake (a showstopper - very attractive cake, not too sweet and light tasting with a nice citrusy raspberries), Coconut macaroons, Tiramisu (I have travelled extensively through Italy and this one definitely is up there with the best I tasted there).
All in all - while there may be some recipes I will probably never use(homemade marshmallows - sorry, I am European and after living in Canada for over 20 years still don't understand the fascination with marshmallows - must be part of a culture shock), there is enough of those that I will use again and again with outstanding results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ina garten recipes are great., June 24 2014
I almost exclusively use ina garten recipes for dinner recipes. They are well laid out, clear and interesting.they always turn out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Barefoot Contessa is my No. 1 choice for cookbooks, Dec 26 2013
I love Ina and her easy yet entertainment quality meals. She has taught me many tips and tricks over the years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Aug. 19 2011
I love this cookbook! It truly has the easiest receipes and I use it almost everyday. I highly recommend it and you will not be disappointed

5.0 out of 5 stars Family Friendly Food, Oct. 5 2010
I received this book as a gift from a friend and have really enjoyed preparing food for a crowd. The lasagna recipe is hearty and I find that after I make a recipe once I can make changes to it and still get great results (i.e. substituting different kinds of meat in the lasagna). The desserts are great and my family raves over the food and usually ask for the recipe whenever I make something out of this book. A very enjoyable experience cooking the recipes, and eating the delicious results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never disappoints., Feb. 22 2006
If you are a fan of Ina Garten's, this book is a must have. Simple, easy, fun and delicious are the outcomes of all recipes. I've never had one of her dishes go wrong. The thing I love most about this book is that you can take the base for a recipie (eg., Roasted Squash Soup) and make different variations. I use at least 4 of her recipes a week, and they never disappoint. From grandparents to children, there is something for everybody, and you can never go wrong. How wonderful is that? Her style of writing like she talks is informal yet familiar and warm, inviting you to make one of Ina's favourites, one of yours too. This one is definately a must have!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended book, Nov. 22 2005
I watch Ina all the time on Food Network and her recipes are always easy and delicious!
I've just recently purchased the book and prepared at least 10 recipes - all have been a great success.
Highly recommended book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifull book, March 22 2005
I love this book and I love ina. The picture in this book are fantastic and the recipe delicious, it's a must have in your collection.
I also bought Simple and Simply Delicious by Sylvie Rocher. Both of those books are awesome

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best of the three, July 11 2004
By A Customer
1) many of the recipes while they are simple, they require last minute sauteing or preparation while your guests are there. I think that's why her other books are great for entertaining -- the recipes allow you to spend time with your guests.
2) much of the book is taken up by recipes which you probably already know how to make (sauteed carrots, tomato mozzarella and basil salad, sauteed spinach, mashed potatoes, rosemary polenta, roasted winter vegetables, mashed butternut squash).
3) I'm a vegetarian, and many of the recipes are not vegetarian friendly.
There are DEFINITELY great recipes in this cookbook, and if you own Ina's other two books, definitely get this one. If you are buying your first Ina Garten cookbook, go for one of the other two.

CDN$ 40.00 CDN$ 25.08