5.0 out of 5 stars This is an invaluable resource, and a delightful read.
I do professional reviews of a lot of books about homeschooling, and I must say I found this one unusually fun to read, because there's so much packed into it about so many interesting and unusual resources, with something for everyone. It's gratifying to see a reference book so well done.
The Complete Home Source Book is quite literally a huge delight: with 865...
Published on July 28 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource, but not for Christian homeschoolers
Published on June 7 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource, but not for Christian homeschoolers, June 7 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Complete Home Learning Source Book: The Essential Resource Guide for Homeschoolers, Parents, and Educators Covering Every Subject from Arithmetic to Zoology (Paperback)
This is an excellent resource guide, full of more information than I could imagine anyone ever needing! I was disappoointed, however, with some obvious omissions of Christian curriculums and suppliers. In addition, her attitude toward the few she did mention was, to say the least, condescending. I would not recommend this book to Christian homeschoolers looking for resources with a biblical perspective.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an invaluable resource, and a delightful read., July 28 1999
By A Customer
The Complete Home Source Book is quite literally a huge delight: with 865 pages, this book is 8 1/2" by 11" and almost 2" thick! The subtitle says it well: The Essential Resource Guide for Homeschoolers, Parents, and Educators, Covering Every Subject from Arithmetic to Zoology.
The book is nicely organized into subjects of study, and the subject titles are thoughtfully printed at the page edges in dark blocks to show even with the pages closed. Each entry is tagged with the age group for which the resource is intended. Symbols are used to identify whether the resource is: a book, curriculum, kit, video, software, magazine, audio, game, on-line resource, hands-on activity, or catalog. The price might at first seem expensive, but this is a huge reference resource for long term use, and should save the average person money in the long run, or even perhaps in the short run.
Just a few of the enormous range of subjects thoroughly covered are reading, writing, math, history, foreign language resources, the arts, sciences, journalism, research, mythology, libraries, ethics, religion, economics, philosophy, and life skills. The format consists of well-annotated lists of books, catalogs, games, hands-on materials, on-line resources, CD-ROMSs, tapes, and videos, along with Rebecca Rupp's comments, insightful observations, and delightful, thought-provoking, stories about her family's own experiences. The personal stories should be very helpful to a beginning homeschooler, in that they open a window into what homeschooling looks like in the real setting of one family's daily life. There's no reason, however, why a school-going family couldn't also enjoy and make good use of the book in the same way.
I really think this is one of the best resources to ever grace the home education market.-Lillian Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars the most helpful book in our home school library, Sept. 5 2000
When I borrowed this book from the library I actually read it cover to cover. It is more than just a list of books. Rebecca Rupp has done exhaustive research. She has given the home schooler (or the parent wishing to augment the education of their kids) a tremendous resource. Rupp has divided the book up into different sections according to subject-not just the three 'Rs, but also such things as philosophy, art, music...you name it. The age suggestions seem very accurate as well. Since people home school for a lot of different reasons, she also mentions if a book is religious or Christian, or a purely secular resource. I have used many of the websites that she lists, as well as sending away for a number of the catalogs that she lists. As someone relatively new to the home school scene, I also enjoyed the personal accounts of her three sons' educational experiences. I borrowed the book from our library first, but have since purchased my very own copy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, but it's getting old!, Nov. 6 2006
CanadianMother (Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
As other reviewers have stated, this book is a heaven-sent resource for homeschoolers. The amount of fun and fascinating materials Rupp lists in the book is staggering. Her descriptions of everything are well written and helpful too. This book would be especially helpful for those wanting to create Unit Studies, as materials are listed by subject (for example there are several pages alone of materials relating to the Vikings).

However as of the writing of this review it is late 2006, and the book is a full 8 years old. Many of the internet links listed in the book are dead, and I am sure that despite its impressive size, the book is now incomplete. Many resources have been published with homeschooling in mind in the past 8 years and none of them will be in this book.

I wish the publisher would ask Ms. Rupp to do an updated version. However, in the meantime this book is still highly useful and I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource for homeschoolers doing unit studies, May 19 2000
By A Customer
I've purchased many homeschooling books, but this is the one that I use constantly in planning lessons and unit studies. If you prefer to put together your own curriculum, rather than purchasing a series of textbooks, The Complete Home Learning Sourcebook will save you time and money. It is a great starting point - classified by subject area and sub-divided into topics. This is the place to get a sense of what's available in catalogs, games, kits, books, cd-roms and more, with contact info and web addresses, so you can find what you want! Rebecca Rupp includes sections from her homeschool journal to illustrate what worked for her family. If I could only have one book on homeschooling, this would be it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A staple on the shelf of every educator and parent!, Jan. 6 1999
By A Customer
As an educator, I was thrilled to discover this user-friendly guide that organizes an amazing amount of resources on a variety of topics! For information on everything from juvenile literature to China to zoology, I can quickly skim the summaries provided for each resource. I can also access a variety of sources including catalogs, books, and websites. With limited time for research and a need for quality information for my students, this is just the kind of resource guide I have been looking for! It is a must-buy for teachers, home educators, and parents alike!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for homeschoolers!, Oct. 22 2000
By A Customer
This book is wonderful! It has hundreds of themes, which provide information about books, software, activities, videos, and websites. (In addition to curriculum suggestions in Math, Language Arts, Life Skills, etc.) I'm using this to supplement my son's private school education, and it's been so useful. My seven year old son has loved all the books I've read which were suggested in this book. He often wakes up the next morning thinking about them and asking me questions!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars MEGA-RESOURCE!, Aug. 12 2001
By A Customer
Wow, this book blows me away! It's easy to understand and follow and is packed with great information and inspiration. I have used it to write our curriculum for this year. Yes, some of the web addresses are out of date, and some of the books, games, kits, and so on, are hard to find. But with a little work and an open mind, I seem to be able to find everything I need. I am waiting impatiently for a revised edition. I hope there is one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource but..., Aug. 3 1999
By A Customer
This is the most comprehensive book I've found yet. I have lent it out to others both friends and educators. But..Many of the internet resource webpages have been discontinued so it is often time consuming to research which ones still exist before providing those resources to my children ages 9 and 16 yrs. I mark in the book if it can be used and cross out which ones are outdated. Still well worth the price!

5.0 out of 5 stars inspirational book, Feb. 1 1999
Johanna Sperling (Brussels, Belgium) - See all my reviews
This book is a wonderful resource. Although I am not a homeschooling parent (this book is making me reconsider my choice, however), this book gives me plenty of ideas for activities for after school hours. The best part of the book I found the excerpts from Ms. Rupp's home schooling journal over the years. I hope she will publish her journal one day. I highly recommend this book.

CDN$ 44.95 CDN$ 35.96