5.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes
The recipes are easy, tasty and healthy. I love reading through this book to pick a new recipe each time. There are really great daily special.
Published 7 months ago by Laurie

3.0 out of 5 stars Simply delicious!
The recipes are reliable and easy to follow.
Personal favorites: Butternut squash soup with sizzled sage, Jamaican tomato soup, Spicy carrot peanut soup, Black bean and chipotle soup, Tortilla soup, Corn chowder, Cream of mushroom, and Creamy herbed potato.
Published on March 19 2004 by Peggy Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes, Dec 19 2013
This review is from: Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special: More Than 275 Recipes for Soups, Stews, Salads & Extras (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars a new lunchtime staple!, Jan. 19 2013
As always with Moosewood, I have been inspired to make many delicious and healthy recipes from this book. Many of the recipes have become regulars in my kitchen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Souper Soups and Salads, Aug. 11 2001
merrymousies (Waterford, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This is a really great soup book (and salads). The recipes have are very well put together. I had been looking for a source of soup recipes and this book is now the place I come to first. If you're looking for just vegetarian recipes then you'll be a little disappointed like a previous reviewer was since there is a section on seafood soups (10 pages long) and a section on seafood salads (13 pages long) but out of almost 400 pages of recipes that's not much (and although I haven't tried them they sound pretty tasty). I'm psyched about this cookbook. The recipes are easy, the ingredients are accessible yet not boring, and the end result is delicesuse!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my favorite cookbook ever!, Aug. 8 2001
By A Customer
You know how most cookbooks start off with appetizers, beverages and end with dessert? Well, if you're like me and definitely don't need a recipe to fix a beverage and don't want another dessert idea, this is the book for you!
First, the recipes are fairly simple. Sure, there are a few exotic ingredients thrown in, but most are easy to find and these dishes don't require a lot of steps.
Second, the book focuses on what vegetarians (or semi-vegetarians) are most interested in making--soups and salads. Easy to cook for dinner or great for a week's worth of lunches...
Third, these are refreshing recipes! Who wants another recipe for mac and cheese or potato salad??? I loved the Welsh Rarebit soup. The Baked Bean Soup and French Pasta Salad (with crumbled cheese and toasted hazelnuts) were also hits at our house.
Fourth, there is a small section at the back that includes some interesting supplemental recipes...croutons, quick breads, etc. They're great, and the soup and salad recipes include references to these in case you have a few extra minutes and want to make your meal really special.
I use this book on a weekly basis and always find something tasty. Kudos the the Moosewood staff for giving us health-conscious folk some more ideas for dinner. I've purchased this book as a gift for others and would recommend it without hesitation.

3.0 out of 5 stars Simply delicious!, March 19 2004
Peggy Evans "Anne Evans" (Dallas, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
The recipes are reliable and easy to follow.
There's a large chapter on salads. Try the Asparagus and fennel pasta salad, Caesar salad, Chef salad a la Moosewood, Tomato flowers and the Tostada salad.
At the end of each page it will give menu ideas as to which salads go with which soups. Very helpful. Their salad dressings are very good but my all time favorite which I make once a week is the Moosewood house dressing. A delicious combination of canola oil, cider vinegar, honey, spinach leaves, basil leaves, dijon mustard, a little salt, fresh ground black pepper and buttermilk. All whirled together in a blender and tossed on fresh greens. It will keep in the fridge for about a week.
Very easy directions. Lovely.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you can't get to the restaurant, get this book!, March 2 2003
By A Customer
As a former student at Cornell University, I had the distinct pleasure of being able to dine at the Moosewood Restaurant from time to time. Unfortunately, my journeys have taken me away from Ithaca, but this cookbook brings me back every time I open it.
As a lover of soup, I find this book fabulous. There are so many distinctly varied recipes originating from all cuisines that I find it refreshing over your typical cookbook that often hails from one culture. For the most part, the recipes are very easy to follow and you won't have to go to some crazy health foods store to find the ingredients like a lot of other vegetarian cookbooks.
This is THE cookbook I turn to when cooking for myself and friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite cookbooks, Nov. 1 2002
By A Customer
I use this cookbook quite often and haven't struck out with one recipe yet. The soups are particularly good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum, yum, yum, June 12 2002
It's that simple! This is the book that knows there's more to soups and stews than meat and potatoes. WOW, what great flavors!!! There are so many good ideas in here, and if you're lazy or time-constrained, there are simple substitutions to make many of them easier. I'm not a big salad eater...but this book is well worth the price for the soup and stew recipes. Perfect for cool evenings!

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy and Excellent Recipes, April 3 2002
Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special is truly an excellent cookbook. The book is logically organized, and recipes are easy to find either using the comprehensive index or the mini-contents that begin each major section. Each recipe is informative and creative, and the dishes always turn out well.
So far this is the only soup cookbook I use -- the recipes are that good. One of my favorites is the Curried Cauliflower Soup. This soup satisfies your Indian food cravings, and if you've never had Indian food cravings, this soup is sure to start you on your way. I usually make double the recipe and freeze the leftovers to serve over rice another day.
I highly recommend this cookbook for anyone looking to dish out some lighter fare.

1.0 out of 5 stars Vegetarians be warned!, Jan. 8 2002
By A Customer
Since I more or less learned to cook from the original Moosewood and Enchanted Broccoli Forest, I was excited to see this large compendium of recipes from the Moosewood people, which has much more variety than the "staple" cookbooks. Almost bought it on the spot. But on a few minutes' perusal, I found that MANY OF THE RECIPES ARE NOT VEGETARIAN. This feels like a betrayal to me -- since I've long been a veggie, and I've relied on Moosewood to sell other people on the deliciousness of a vegetarian diet. Now I'll have to deal with a whole new round of "you eat fish, right?"

CDN$ 27.95 CDN$ 17.52