5.0 out of 5 stars Infinite Wisdom, Can You Define That?
Published on March 16 2004 by B. Morgan

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful spiritual principals made overly complicated
Published on July 27 2001 by Kevin Gregory

5.0 out of 5 stars Infinite Wisdom, Can You Define That?, March 16 2004
B. Morgan (Indiana Redneck HA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Know God: The Soul's Journey into the Mystery of Mysteries (Paperback)
I enjoyed Deepak Chopra's book, and plan to use it as a reference during my lifetime to review other people's different "constructions" of "their GOD". For me it's hard to believe that this world's "work-a-job" people (most people) have time to read, research, and (most important) practice spirituality to an extent to give credit to another's (humans-Deepak's) ability to grasp an ineffable infinite intelligence or Being. Read a modern (LIFE Application Bible) Bible and after sorting through numerous conflicting footnotes after 6 months, you too will wonder why this Bible seems so "contradictory" (Yes even inspired with the Holy Spirit). I say this after seeing others "doubt" Chopra's reasonings. Let me end with this: Create a Universe, heck Galaxy of Billions of Suns and Planets full of infinite wonders and life...and then perhaps you can talk to us, and our egos will be able to comprehend why "negative reviewers" understand so well how 'dumb and boring' extensive works (like Deepaks) are elementary. Give me a break critics, perhaps once in "Heaven" you'll be arguing (to God himself) your right of entry in your unbelief in anything but your own falible EGO. May God bless us all, and slow us down enough to notice that He may have already done so...daily, daily daily, GOD BLESS YOU. /////// + B. Morgan

5.0 out of 5 stars How to Know Yourself, Nov. 19 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: How to Know God (Hardcover)
If the title of this book has you curious, then that is reason enough to read it, for you are then seeking out the larger questions and meanings of life. Enlightenment is a path...seemingly endless at times, and Deepak shines a light on it in the most brilliant and eloquent manner. If you have ever wondered the answer to the question, "Why me, God?" , you will find it in here.
The beauty of this book is its clear guidance to each person at whatever level of self-actualization one has reached at the time of the reading. From beginner to avatar, anyone will benefit from this book. Although the greatest discovery is of your own inherent beauty and grace, you will find it is also a powerful guide in understanding where others in your life are on their path--and thus develop more harmonious relationships. Learning what it takes to reach the each progressive level is the inspiration enough to try...and once there you realize you cannot exist comfortably at lower levels of awareness.
The path to enlightenment is not easy, and at times quite lonely or isolated...but it is worth every step. Deepak's book is the perfect companion for the journey. There is no coincidence that you found your way to this book, take the time to find out its meaning for you. Read it several times. Then share it with someone you really love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Take it slowly and only if you're ready for it., Aug. 9 2002
Neal Reynolds (Indianapolis, Indiana) - See all my reviews
... I'm now part of a group which is actively studying the book a bit at a time and I can't believe all that there is here.
The first thing to realize is that Chopra doesn't claim that he's going to present some great Truth to you. You don't get the Truth from a book or another person. You get it from yourself. All that Chopra can do and hopes to do is to so stimulate you to find it yourself.
The next thing to realize is that the seven stages that he presents are not necessarily progressive, but merely stages to identify with, presented so that you will recognize what stage you are at so that you will be in a better position to realize how to relate with God at that stage.
And then, opening yourself up to what is presented rather than just reading this is important. ... Krishnamurti is one of several writers Chopra suggests that you read, as well as Hawking, Zukav, Yogananda, the Maharishi, Ken Wilber, among others (This is in the notes at the end of the book.
Another says there's too much Biblical reference. Most western readers are more familiar with the Bible than with any other writing considered by many to be "sacred". You'll also find many Vedic references here.
... This isn't a book on physics, but on spirituality, so if his physics don't seem right to you, little is missed unless you center on points of disagreement.
... One's mind can accept only a certain amount at a time, and if you overdo what you're taking in, you'll fall asleep or just lose attention.
...
It's not necessary to agree on each point Chopra brings up to gain from this book. Heck, it's not even necessary to agree with most of what he says. It is necessary, if you truly wish to gain something useful from this book, to keep your mind open and let him state his case, because there are bound to be elements useful to you among those not so.
The bottom line is that the non-resistant reader who takes this book slowly, re-reading when you miss a point, will be stimulated into his own personal search, and this is what Chopra intends. Not to brainwash you. But to get you to search within.
If you buy this book and are disappointed in your first reading, then put it aside, but where you'll notice it sometimes, then come back in a week, or a month, or a year, and let the person you've become in that period of time read it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mysterious God...., March 31 2002
The rainbow of God's promises is always above the trials and storms of life. It's the strong faith that keeps the hope to keep one surfing on a sea of storms. Deepak has always been a gifted spiritual trainer and through his books spread the message to attain Spiritual path with faith, facing the grounds of reality. With the concept of 'Dada Bhagwan's preaching of 'Who am I', Deepak Chopra relates the seven point 'Who am I' picks of God as 'Protector, Almighty, God of Peace, Redeemer, Creator, God of Miracles and pure being 'I am' Deepak narrates the mystery of How to find God and who am I, how I fit in my existence and why we vision God in different ways. Prayer on lips brings closer to God and when things go haywire, God is remembered in good and bad times. Deepak puts it as God is not a person or thing but a process and anyone can believe in him, irrespective of faith, mysteries, nation, caste, creed or religion. All sort for his blessings and seek favors and protection against danger of life. They pray for courage in hour of conflict, comfort in time of grief, guidance in daily concerns. They release pangs of conscience. Deepak's book is just the right pick if one wants to find out the mysteries of Who I am and shrug off the evil, ego, hate, ignorance, violence and so on.

5.0 out of 5 stars When you're ready for it, March 17 2002
By A Customer
It was no surprise to see the range of review ratings on this book. There are certain books one must be very careful to recommend to others, such as Ken Wilbur's A Brief History of Everything. Readers must be at a certain point in their own "evolution" before the book makes sense--"speaks to them" as another review said. How To Know God is one of those books.
If you've spent time on your own spiritual evolution and can look back to a time when you believed much differently than you do today, this book may very well add clarity to your understanding of where you've been and where you're going. It did for me. I was able to "place" myself very clearly on the timeline of such evolution, so for me the book rates five stars.
If your beliefs are strongly "religious" rather than spiritual; if you find it necessary to "defend" your religious position; or if you consider anything that can't be explained by science to be a hoax, this book is definitely not for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars (Amazingly) Meets the expectations of the Title, Jan. 25 2002
Devendra (New Delhi, India) - See all my reviews
There could hardly be a more grandiose title than this and so it is a pleasant surprise that the book actually stands up to the expectations it builds. `Life is all about knowing God'. Forget health and wealth, though those are also surely prime concerns, here's the BIG ONE.
This book is probably as ambitious as even Chopra can get. And therefore the `meaning' that he has put into this book is also clear. Chopra has from his rich personal experience and learning carved out the route to know the unknowable. All of us are on the same path, consciously or unconsciously, and it is most interesting to take stock of one's own learnings and `stages' as revealed in this book.
Quit reading the reviews and get on with the book. Whether you dig Chopra or not and whatever your personal belief system, this book is a gift whose time has come.
(There are some friends who reported that they `dropped' the book in its early pages. But I think it's important to read through the beginning as in every stage there are learnings. Things fall in place, ofcourse, as you go along and the farther you go.)
Still stuck reading this review? Bye!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Insightful Addition to Your Spiritual Search, Nov. 14 2001
By A Customer
I found this book to be perfectly timely in my spiritual search. I found it just as I was trying to understand my less mature concept of a "one God" and justify it with the terrorism of Sept 11th. I found the 7 levels of Spiritual Evolution enlightening to the point of finally helping me to understand how all "religions" give structures leading to behaviors such as judgement and them vs us thinking, while espousing One God, a God of Love. While I was reading this book, I found myself looking for the mystics and more "highly developed" voices within my religion to find my own religion's answers to these tough questions. All the great religions seem to have these opposing concepts and Deepra clearly illustrates why. While it doesn't clearly show us then how to get to "know God" by direct experience, he gives us the kernel to go out and continue our serach. And tying his model into a scientific framework helped me to bring both my scientific and spiritual minds together. A valuable read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Splendid Book, Aug. 15 2001
Luiz F Pereira (Florianópolis-SC, BRASIL) - See all my reviews
I had a really good life before this book, really. I believed the truth, repelling lies, I had auto criticism, I achieve hard goals I set for myself, I loved friends and parentes, I was happy and I think God has nothing or almost nothing to had with it. It'd be ok if God was there, but in fact I (thought I) didn't feel It and I (thought I) didn't need It. The *force* was inside me, mainly in my brain - that was my inner belief. Although my life was good, it was not "rounded", I mean, my way of life and thinking life wasn't complete. Even if I live the truth, in certain circumstances the thruth seemed to fail, the love didn't reach everybody, and so on. That bothered me every time I had to think about it. It isn't rare the times I was suddenly taken by rage, annoyance and sadness, like if they were logical feelings. That couldn't be good. I hadn't the "key", I thought to myself. And I really didn't have. A magnificent help to find the key is in this book from Mr. Deepak Chopra, an amazing work about finding and knowing *God* I ever read. It's not a surprise that Dalai Lama, Larry King, Mikhail Gorbachev, PhDs in Religion, Philosophy and Physics agree in the findings of Mr. Chopra. It's not a guess, it's findings of Science and Religion brought together in a vision that tries to distance itself from a theory. You have to be a little prepared to think deeply about the subject of GOD, open your mind whatever theory you defend, give this book a chance even if you found *God* by any known religion. But, if you are, you have a brand new world in front of your eyes, or, I should say, inside your mind. Only one of the dozens great qualities of this finding is that, rounded as it is, it's inclusive and respectful to every belief, and it's not only a finding, it's a way of life that I felt to be the natural way of life we human beings should be living. Mr. Chopra explains the seven stages of God, gives us examples, show our present reality compared to every stage, describes the nature of God and important scientific and religious knowledge from science. But the thing is, just by reading this book, by understanding it, your life can change (for a better you just can imagine by reading a review). It worked with me. Like Simone Weil says (in the beginning of the book): "When it comes to divine, faith is not enough. Only sure will work. Anything smaller than sure isn't worthy of God". Love for all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Finding Your Own Foundations Of Spirituality On YOUR Terms, July 30 2001
"ronlv" (Las Vegas, NV USA) - See all my reviews
A fantastic first book to read on religion and/or spirituality. If you are the analytical type that has been disappointed in the lack of discipline and organization in books on spirituality and religion: This is your lucky day. Clearly this book has been reworked and edited to increase the odds of understanding. The style of organizing his views without trying to sell or proselytize is refreshing. There is nothing threatening or demanding in this book. What ever your concept of God you will not be hustled in this book. Those reviewers that are well read on religion seem to bring an agenda to their reviews. As best I can tell Chopra's agenda is to get people thinking about religion in a broader more personal sense and not be afraid to develop their own personal opinions. So he makes a lot of money. If that bothers you aren't you belittling yourself. The market place for ideas is always open in America. Give it a rest. Sorry, I have not read all the great minds on religion, but I have to start somewhere. For me it was a good experience. You can read and consider you own views easily as you read this book-no matter whether Western or Eastern religion dominate. Even if the Chopra organization has in part become a book writing factory reworking past writings to improve clarity and provide new material to sell, this book is so well written that it warrants your consideration. A well written and easy to read book is the result of Chopra's consolidation of his beliefs into refreshingly new book.
If you have done some modest work in mediation, it will help you understand the experiences discussed. It seems that the author assumes some modest level of mediation experience. It is frequently said there is no goal in mediation. There may now be. If you have to do some mediation to really understand this book then it is worth the diversion.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful spiritual principals made overly complicated, July 27 2001
Kevin Gregory "Ca reader" (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
This book offers a unique way of looking at spiritual principals. While reading this book I was found DR. Chopra's theory of spiritual development to be very similar to Maslow's stages of self actualization. While Maslow concentrated on man meeting his phisical needs to become self actualized, Dr. Chopra concentrates on his seven stages of knowing God. His ideas are both informative and helpful, but I found them to be diluted by too much information. I thought much of his book could be summurized by the following; "The aim of spirituality is to learn to cooperate with God. Most of us have been raised to do the opposite. Our skills and abilities come first attention and not second." True spirituality, as chopra puts it, comes from putting your intention toward God and not material things. Desire for material wealth leads to jealousy, greed, and worry. While attention towards God leads to peace and prosperity. All in all I enjoyed his perspective, if not his style and presentation.

How to Know God: The Soul's Journey into the Mystery of Mysteries
How to Know God: The Soul's Journey into the Mystery of Mysteries by Deepak Chopra (Paperback - Feb. 20 2001)
CDN$ 19.00 CDN$ 13.72