5.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderful book!
Published on Aug. 1 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars Stepmotherhood: How to Survive Without Feeling Frustrated, L
Published on June 20 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderful book!, Aug. 1 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Stepmotherhood: How to Survive Without Feeling Frustrated, Left Out, or Wicked (Paperback)
I felt very normal after reading this book and have loaned it to a coworker who is also a stepmother. It was wonderful to know that the things that I think and don't say out loud are normal stepmother feelings (like regarding the ex - "How could such a sweet man have been married to someone so horrible?"). Having two stepsons and no children of my own, it was good to see that different family situations were addressed. Most books I have read assume that you have kids, he has kids, and you have kids together - which is not always the case. I would recommend this book to any new or current stepmother!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, July 17 2003
By A Customer
I found this book, together with The Stepmom's Guide for Simplifying Your Life, to be very helpful in shifting my focus from overbroad wants that are incapable of being satisfied (my stepchild should be more responsible, e.g.) to concrete behaviors that should be fixed (my stepchild is responsible for picking up his or her dirty dishes and taking out the trash on Monday). The stories can be depressing and repetitive, but they can also be useful. The upshot is (at least today) that I'm happier, and everyone else in the house is too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Honest, Oct. 26 2003
By A Customer
Yes, this book may come across as negative, but it is realistic. Being a stepmom is tough and tougher still when you go into it with rose colored glasses and the belief that it will all be wonderful. It isn't. Cherie is honest in her assessment of the stepmom experience for most women who find themselves inheriting children who view them as the sole reason their parents aren't getting back together-- Even when their mother has been remarried for years and their parents were never happy. This book helped me focus on the positives of my life as a stepmom by working through the negative. While there were things I could not relate to (my skids were teens when I became their father's wife), the advice is clear, realistic and above all else honest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful!, June 6 2002
By A Customer
This book is incredibly helpful. Some of it I can relate to and some of it doesn't apply, but hearing all types of women's stories is so interesting. It has helped me better understand, and not take personally, many situations. It is easy to read and on target.

2.0 out of 5 stars Stepmotherhood: How to Survive Without Feeling Frustrated, L, June 20 2003
By A Customer
My live-in boyfriend's son was coming to stay with us for the summer so I ordered this book to help me prepare for his arrival. Bad idea!!! after reading this book I was so scared. This book has a very pessimistic view of how things will be. It goes over all the fears you may already have and makes you feel a lot worse. Luckily I have a very understanding man who helped me prepare myself and made it a smooth transition for all of us. I know there are many negative aspects with step families, but this book tells you all the bad and doesn't focus on the good, let alone help you deal with the problems. For your own sanity,...read with caution!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good to know..., Feb. 12 2003
As a woman who is in a serious relationship with a man with a 3-year-old child, this book was good for me to read. Though we're not married yet, this book still offered me helpful advice--just substitute the word "relationship" for "marriage", and "girlfriend/boyfriend/partner" for "wife/husband." It's relieving to know that I'm not the only woman who has the feelings I do about being involved with a man who has a child. The book offered many useful tips for dealing with the situation. One thing that I would have liked more of, though, was advice for women who have a true aversion to children (such as myself), so much so to the point of being extraordinarily uncomfortable when they are present. I would also have liked more advice on how to deal with the fact that your mate's children are the product of his union with another woman, as well as advice for women who do not plan to have children of their own. All in all, though, a helpful book that gave me good suggestions on strategies to deal with situations that arise in a relationship with a man with a child, and I feel better knowing that I'm not the only woman with the feelings I face--in fact, it's quite normal.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, Feb. 6 2003
By A Customer
My husband lovingly selected this book for me as I started on my Stepmother-hood journey with him last year. The How to Survive teaser on the cover would lead one to expect some practical advice. Unfortnately all it offered me was many varied examples of other people's situation without any direction on how 'not to let this happen to you'.
I found myself disappointed at not being able to relate to the examples set fourth, and was further confused at the general message (or advice) for each chapter.
I was finally able to use my yellow highlighter at the last few pages when she discussed how a stepmother may make specific contributions simply by her presence. ("a career woman may offer a useful contrast to the nonworking mother, an artist can open up a new world for a child" etc.)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the best for stepmoms, April 3 2002
By A Customer
After reading several books on the topic of stepmothering, I have to rate this one as one of the worst. It highlighted all of the negative and did not discuss the positives of stepmothering. We all know stepmothering has ups and downs, but this book mostly discussed the downs. The book seems full of negative, bitter vibes. The topics do not include the attachment bonds that can be formed between child and stepmom; the author advises stepmoms to keep a distance and not get involved. I do not feel like this advice applies to me because I am a full-time custodial stepmom. I am totally involved in my stepchild's life and see more good than bad in the situation. I would not recommend this book to other stepmoms unless they are looking for bitter and vindictive literature.

Stepmotherhood: How to Survive Without Feeling Frustrated, Left Out, or Wicked