5.0 out of 5 stars My girls love these books.
My 13 and 11 year old girls love this author, Tamora Pierce. I don't mind spending 8 bucks for a quality book.
Published 18 months ago by Jeff D

3.0 out of 5 stars Read books #1 and #2 first
Published on June 3 2004 by BarkLessWagMore

4.0 out of 5 stars The only real flaw was the villain, but the story was a very light and fun read, Feb. 25 2014
Fantasy's Ink (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Cover:
This edition is the one I own and definitely my least favourite out of all the covers. I prefer illustrations, especially when it comes to fantasy. Their clothes are very off, especially Alanna's. Her shirt looks beyond modern and the hair colour is horrible. Plus the models look so obviously posed.

Writing:
(2.5/5) The writing isn't top-notch and pretty simple. It's Tamora Pierce's first series and written for a younger audience and it didn't really bother me at all when I read the book.

Setting:
(3/5) Although I found the setting of Tortall to be pretty unoriginal and bland, I liked the setting of the Bazhir desert. More specifically, I liked the Bloody Hawk tribe that adopts Alanna. The tribe, again, were very unoriginal, but they were different than your standard medieval, plus I liked the close-nit feel of it.

Plot:
(5/5) I read the book in one sitting. It helps that the book was on the short side and the simple writing was easy to get into, but the story was really good too. I really enjoyed Alanna being adopted into the Bloody Hawk tribe and the time she spent with them. It was incredibly fun to read and just as enjoyable as the rest of the series so far.

Main Character:
(4/5) Although Alanna isn't necessarily the most original character (a stubborn and fiery yet courageous girl), she is very genuine. It probably has something to do with the series being older and seeing Alanna grow up from a 10 year old in the first book. There aren't huge time leaps in this book like the previous ones, but that was just fine. I enjoyed seeing Alanna's character develop: she begins to accept her magic and grows more mature. She takes on a couple of apprentices when she becomes a shaman. We see a different side of Alanna when she acts as a mentor and even though there wasn't huge time leaps, she still did grow up.

Villain:
(2/5) The villain was a little irritating. He was a tribesman with a backwards way of thinking. He's very sexist and hates foreigners. He had no logic to speak of and it's impossible to change his opinion. I hated this and I found him stereotypical and even slightly racist, considering he was supposed to be based after Arabs. Plus it's incredibly easy for the main character to look good next to a villain like this, which is incredibly cheap and lazy. I was happy that the matter with him was dealt with pretty quickly though, and the author didn't stick with him for too long.

Other Characters: (4/5)
Jonathan: Jonathan changed a lot when Alanna sees him again. I liked that, but at the same time, I didn't. His change made his character more interesting but he became worse. I also didn't like where he and Alanna left off at the end.

Kara and Kourrem: Alanna's two female apprentices. I liked their relationship with Alanna and that Alanna is finally around other females. Actually, she builds a good relationship with quite a few women from the tribe.

Ishak: Alanna's only male apprentice. I didn't like the fate of this character. It felt like the author was trying to say "girls are better than boys". There was constant comparisons between him and the girls and I felt like his flaws all led back to him being a boy.

Myles: I liked his relationship with Alanna and I enjoyed seeing him appear in this book again. I didn't expect to see him again quite so soon.

George: After the ending, I'm curious to see what will happen with George in the last book.

Overall:
(20.5/30) The only real flaw was the villain, but the story was a very light and fun read. I finished it in one sitting. I enjoyed seeing Alanna continue to mature as a person and I'm excited to see how this series ends with the final book!

5.0 out of 5 stars My girls love these books., Dec 29 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, Aug. 23 2002
M. Cookson (Colorado Springs) - See all my reviews
Although I didn't like this book quite as much as the previous one, it was still good. In this books, Alanna ends up becoming the first female shaman of one of the desert tribes after she kills their original shaman in self defense. Prince Jonathan comes to the tribe because there's a way to make all the desert tribes follow him when it's his time to rule. Although I still love reading about Alanna and she's still the strong, take-charage character I enjoyed from the beginning, I felt she became too much of a sorceress in this book. It was an interesting side of Alanna, and I enjoyed the book's plot, but I missed the Alanna from previous books, who used magic only when she really had to.

5.0 out of 5 stars KC, June 26 2004
Kc (New Castle,IN USA) - See all my reviews
i LOVE this book and all of the other books i have read by tamora pierce (like the circle of magic series) i have read a ton of books and i am even runnig out of books (if thats possible :P) and when ever im bored or am in the mood 4 a REALLY good book i just pick up a Tomora Pierce book. i recomend this book to ALL readers cuz this book iz FANTASTIC!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Woman Who Rides Like A Man, June 8 2004
By A Customer
This book is AWESOME!!!!!! Any girl who loves adventure will love this book. I recommend that you read all of this series (Song of the Lioness 1-4 by Tamora Pierce). There are other Tortallan series after this one. They are all great!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Read books #1 and #2 first, June 3 2004
This review is from: Woman Who Rides Like a Man (School & Library Binding)
I just finished reading this in its unabridged audiobook format on my way to and from work. First, I must disagree with a previous review that stated this book stands on its own. I didn't realize this was book three in an ongoing series and found it a little rough going. Alanna had obviously been through a lot before this book and I continually felt like I had missed out on big important chunks of her past (especially her past relationships with others) and her knighthood.
In this book Alanna is a knight in a world where most tribes believe woman aren't meant to be a warrior (and how she became a knight? well, I still have no clue). The story begins as Alanna, along with her feline friend (whom she can communicate with) and her man-at-arms are attacked by Hillmen. Following the battle (of which Alanna and her crew are victorious) Alanna is forced to stay with the desert Bazhir tribe where her troubles begin in earnest. The local Shaman does not want Alanna around and causes her no end of trouble. Eventually a battle leads to Alanna's new position as Shaman of the tribe and her days are spent tutoring three gifted youngsters, two of them girls (much to the tribe's dismay) in the ways of magic.
Further complicating things is her relationship (which is surprisingly sexual, though not explicit, for a book marked 7-9 grade!) with Prince Jon. She sleeps with him nightly but as she spends more time with him comes to realize that he's a bit too spoiled (boy, is he ever!) and that she's not quite ready for the marriage he wants. She's also most definitely not ready to birth him a few babies just yet! Prince Jon is not pleased when she voices her opinion on their future together. Soon after Alanna meets up with yet another romantic interest George, the King of Thieves, who I guess is an old pal who becomes oh-so-much more. Finally, there's some trouble with Alanna's twin Thom who seems to be swaying over to the "darker side" of magic.
This is an okay book, as Pierce is a skilled world-builder, but I felt at a loss through the majority of the story and things didn't get moving until midway through. I also never felt a connection to any of the many characters which is a shame because I typically enjoy this author's people and their humorous insights (Trickster's Choice & Circle of Magic: Sandry's Book are two I enjoyed thoroughly). The Woman Who Rides Like A Man is very much a "middle of the series" type of book and should not be read independently of the others in this series.

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable read, May 10 2004
By A Customer
First, I want to say that I enjoyed this book very much. I didn't find it boring although it does seem as if Ms. Pierce wrote book 3 & 4 of this series as one book which was later broken into two books due to length. As such this book reads like a set up to book four. No major action takes place and there is no real climax to the book. However, Alanna makes two major life changing decisions. 1) She decides to start developing and using her magic. I liked that she became shaman although it seemed ridiculous that the Voice and the headman would have allowed such a weak and stupid shaman to stick around for so long! 2) Alanna decides that she cannot marry Jon. This is a very difficult decision for Alanna to make and I think (given their very young ages) that both Jon and Alanna react in a very realistic manner. Alanna bases her decision on logic and while Jon is not yet ready to accept it, I think Alanna has made a very wise and mature choice. What I didn't like was that she immediately begins to act immature again by using George to make herself feel better. The way George is written he's alittle too perfect. He's always there for Alanna and he is always supportive. You never see him have a relationship with any other women so I really felt sorry for him here. I wish that he and Alanna could have kept their relationshiip platonic until Alanna was ready to make a commitment to him. The way it happens makes them both look rather weak and immature. But, George has always been my favorite so a part of me was happy to see them get together. Anyway, if you are looking for a very romantic relationship in this book, you won't find it and I know many people were disappointed in that.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is MY favorite at least, March 19 2004
By A Customer
the only reason i'm writing this review was because i almost cried reading all the others. This is my favorite book in the entire series, and this is my favorite series, so you can understand my distress at reading that other people hated it. and, for the record, this is a fantastic book, and really, realy worth reading. it's a realy emotional book, and also involves a person getting blasted to pieces! i mean, what is there NOT to like? ok, i will admit that Allana should have married jon, but she was angry, all right?

4.0 out of 5 stars ??, Dec 22 2003
By A Customer
Alanna kind of turns weird. She's ..........^_^;;;; and makes stupid decisions.
She's kind of young for those types of decisions...
I liked the book, though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first two, Aug. 25 2003
"celes1" (Havre de Grace, Maryland United States) - See all my reviews
The third book in The Song of the Lioness Quartet starts with Alanna joining a desert tribe know as the Bazhir. When the tribe is left without a magician Alanna must train a new one before she can move on. Alanna's personal life also heats up when Prince Jon asks her to marry him!
I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first two. The Bazhir plot line, which took up most of the book, just didn't interest me. The book did become more enjoyable towards the end though. I'd recommend just skipping over this book but the last half is important to the rest of the series. Oh well, hardcore fans of this series will no doubt enjoy this otherwise, just suffer through it like I did.

Woman Who Rides Like a Man
Woman Who Rides Like a Man by Tamora Pierce (School & Library Binding - April 1990)
Used & New from: CDN$ 9.25