5.0 out of 5 stars The best I've read by Oke and Bunn!
Published on Oct. 1 2000 by Beverly

3.0 out of 5 stars my review
This is the story of two women who belong to two different cultures but yet have become very good friends, almost soul sisters. Fate deals them a very hard hand, and through love and faith, they are able to survive.
I had never learned about the history of this region and about the Acadians. I was glad to be able to learn it through a historical novel!
The...
Published on July 11 2000 by Ana Maria Barrenechea

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The best I've read by Oke and Bunn!, Oct. 1 2000
This review is from: Meeting Place, The (Paperback)
Although I love Janette Oke, I've never been a big fan of her books written with Bunn until now. The Meeting Place is a wonderful story of God's love overcoming cultural differences and prejudices. As Englishwoman Catherine makes friends with the Frenchwoman Louisa, the French and Indian war looms around them, and Catherine's beloved husband Andrew is an officer of the King's Army. Knowing that they are supposed to be mortal enemies does not affect the growing relationship between Catherine and Louisa until the Acadians are told that they must leave Acadia (now Nova Scotia). After meeting Louisa and her husband and extended family, Andrew realizes that he cannot participate in the upcoming war, and risks his career and his family's well-being to take his unpopular stand. In a plot twist that will keep you riveted, the two families are separated, but a slender thread remains between them that will keep you anxiously awaiting the sequel. The Meeting Place is a wonderful story of God's love and faith that crosses all languages and nationalities.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bringing Two Worlds Togethe, Oct. 29 2002
This review is from: Meeting Place, The (Paperback)
In New France just north of the New England lies the land of Acadia. In the land of Acadia there are both French and English. A Frenchman would never go into an English village and an English man would never go into a French village. They may never talk to each other all their lives. It was just never done.
Catherine, an English woman, and Louise, a French woman, would change all that when they meet and become friends. They don't care if the other is English or French they form a bond that is like sisters.
Both women soon marry and have children. Soon everything changes and something happens that will change their lives forever.
Janette Oke does a wonderful job of bringing these two worlds together. If you read this book you'll have to read the rest of the series because you'll want to know what happens next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting, yet heartwrenching!, Sept. 11 2000
Tracey (Lennoxville Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meeting Place, The (Paperback)
Unlike many other readers, I was captivated from the beginning. Being Acadian, and having spent four years in the area, I could picture the dikes and the bluff. It is yet another masterpiece by two very gifted writers.
The deportation of the Acadians is a tragic moment in history, and the authors manage to capture it and the events leading up to the forced exodus very well. I read this book primarily during my English class when my students had their silent reading time. The end had me crying infront of my students. I was so wrapped up in the characters and their story, that I was caught off guard by the end....even though I knew historically what was coming.
I can't wait to read the next one!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful story, Nov. 22 2001
J. Peterson "jenpeterson" (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meeting Place, The (Paperback)
This book was fabulous. I felt like I really got to know the characters of Louisa and Catherine. Even though their own society's didn't agree with each other at the time, they were the one shining beacon of hope between the two. Their families had to overcome their prejudice in order to see the benefits of this relationship. Through it all, the young ladies taught eachother the value of friendship, a belief in God and that even one person can make a difference.
I would very much recommend this book to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!!!, June 8 2003
This review is from: Meeting Place, The (Paperback)
I love this series! This is my favorite book out of this series! It is a really good book. Janete Oke is one of my favorite authors. You have got to read "The Meeting Place"!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tale of Two Best Friends..., Oct. 10 2000
This review is from: Meeting Place, The (Paperback)
This was the first book I read by Janette Oke and T. Davis Bunn, and I think it's my favorite of their joint novels. It tells of two women who, despite the prejudice between their people, become best friends. This friendship leads to a decision with heart-wrenching consequences.
This story leaves you hanging, so I'd suggest reading its sequel also, _The Sacred Shore._

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing story!, Feb. 27 2000
This review is from: Meeting Place, The (Paperback)
This book is outstanding on many levels. I was engaged from the first chapter and couldn't put it down. Entertaining and thought provoking at the same time. I love to read and I honestly don't remember the last time I was so fully engaged in a story-one with characters and a plot that was as worthwhile as in "The Meeting Place." As for those few who think Louise should have been Catholic for historical accuracy, I fully disagree. Far better than tolerating differences, the two women in this story have a friendship and a relationship with God that transcends the boundaries of Catholicism and Protestantism...The "treasure" to be found within this remarkable story is an understanding of the value of trusting in a loving God who is sovereign and loves us all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oke does it again, with Bunn's help!, May 17 1999
This review is from: Meeting Place, The (Paperback)
I just finished this book and thoroughly enjoyed it! Oke and Bunn really made their characters "live" this time. Set in Acadia in the 1750's, the story revolves around the conflicts between the French and English. When a Frenchwoman and Englishwoman accidently meet in a meadow, they begin a tentative friendship which grows as they discover how much they have in common. As each one grows in her relationship with God, they become closer friends, and soon involve their families, which brings difficulties for all involved. The story was entertaining, of course, but also challenging; how is my relationship with God and with my friends? I'm already waiting (im)patiently for the sequel, due in early 2000!

3.0 out of 5 stars my review, July 11 2000
This review is from: Meeting Place, The (Paperback)
The characters are very real and are very well presented throughout the story. The plot also flows very well and the story remains interesting til the end.
Once you read this book, you must continue with the sequel: "The Sacred Shore".

5.0 out of 5 stars Please, tell me there's a sequel!, March 21 2000
This review is from: Meeting Place, The (Paperback)
I have read many Janette Oke books, but this was, by far, the best. It means nothing to me about historical accuracy, but another reviewer was absolutely right when she said that it's a story about how racism and hatred can hurt innocent people. But God's love was shown beautifully through 2 women of different cultures. This book had more quality storyline than any previous books by the same author. The only down side was the book ended and I was left crying my eyes out! I would certainly hope that Janette Oke & T Davis Bunn will write a sequel!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Meeting Place
The Meeting Place by T. Davis Bunn (School & Library Binding - March 1999)
Used & New from: CDN$ 33.54