5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!!!
I love this series! This is my favorite book out of this series! It is a really good book. Janete Oke is one of my favorite authors. You have got to read "The Meeting Place"!!!!
Published on June 8 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow to get into
Published on July 11 2000 by emjl

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!!!, June 8 2003
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Bringing Two Worlds Togethe, Oct. 29 2002
This review is from: Meeting Place, The (Paperback)
In New France just north of the New England lies the land of Acadia. In the land of Acadia there are both French and English. A Frenchman would never go into an English village and an English man would never go into a French village. They may never talk to each other all their lives. It was just never done.
Catherine, an English woman, and Louise, a French woman, would change all that when they meet and become friends. They don't care if the other is English or French they form a bond that is like sisters.
Both women soon marry and have children. Soon everything changes and something happens that will change their lives forever.
Janette Oke does a wonderful job of bringing these two worlds together. If you read this book you'll have to read the rest of the series because you'll want to know what happens next.

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful story, Nov. 22 2001
J. Peterson "jenpeterson" (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meeting Place, The (Paperback)
This book was fabulous. I felt like I really got to know the characters of Louisa and Catherine. Even though their own society's didn't agree with each other at the time, they were the one shining beacon of hope between the two. Their families had to overcome their prejudice in order to see the benefits of this relationship. Through it all, the young ladies taught eachother the value of friendship, a belief in God and that even one person can make a difference.
I would very much recommend this book to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book!, Nov. 18 2001
This review is from: Meeting Place, The (Paperback)
I found this book very interesting, and I highly recommend it, and would give it more stars if I could.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tale of Two Best Friends..., Oct. 10 2000
This review is from: Meeting Place, The (Paperback)
This was the first book I read by Janette Oke and T. Davis Bunn, and I think it's my favorite of their joint novels. It tells of two women who, despite the prejudice between their people, become best friends. This friendship leads to a decision with heart-wrenching consequences.
This story leaves you hanging, so I'd suggest reading its sequel also, _The Sacred Shore._

5.0 out of 5 stars The best I've read by Oke and Bunn!, Oct. 1 2000
This review is from: Meeting Place, The (Paperback)
Although I love Janette Oke, I've never been a big fan of her books written with Bunn until now. The Meeting Place is a wonderful story of God's love overcoming cultural differences and prejudices. As Englishwoman Catherine makes friends with the Frenchwoman Louisa, the French and Indian war looms around them, and Catherine's beloved husband Andrew is an officer of the King's Army. Knowing that they are supposed to be mortal enemies does not affect the growing relationship between Catherine and Louisa until the Acadians are told that they must leave Acadia (now Nova Scotia). After meeting Louisa and her husband and extended family, Andrew realizes that he cannot participate in the upcoming war, and risks his career and his family's well-being to take his unpopular stand. In a plot twist that will keep you riveted, the two families are separated, but a slender thread remains between them that will keep you anxiously awaiting the sequel. The Meeting Place is a wonderful story of God's love and faith that crosses all languages and nationalities.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting, yet heartwrenching!, Sept. 11 2000
Tracey (Lennoxville Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Meeting Place, The (Paperback)
Unlike many other readers, I was captivated from the beginning. Being Acadian, and having spent four years in the area, I could picture the dikes and the bluff. It is yet another masterpiece by two very gifted writers.
The deportation of the Acadians is a tragic moment in history, and the authors manage to capture it and the events leading up to the forced exodus very well. I read this book primarily during my English class when my students had their silent reading time. The end had me crying infront of my students. I was so wrapped up in the characters and their story, that I was caught off guard by the end....even though I knew historically what was coming.
I can't wait to read the next one!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow to get into, July 11 2000
This review is from: Meeting Place, The (Paperback)
The Meeting Place had an interesting angle. The last 100 pages kept me going and I am VERY glad I pressed through to finish. However, it was extremely hard to get interested in for the first half of the book. The events were slow in taking place. This is made up for, though, from the "baby switch" to the end of the book. It got my interest up enough to want to read the sequel...but it took 150 pages before I could commit to that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, Aug. 16 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Meeting Place, The (Paperback)
This is the first novel I have read of either of the authors and find there writing to be very enlightening. What a wonderful story. I especially enjoyed how the women's prayer life and daily bible readings became a very special and important part of their friendship as well as there marriage. The story does start out slow, but once through the first two chapters it was hard to put down. I can't wait to read the sequel.

3.0 out of 5 stars my review, July 11 2000
This review is from: Meeting Place, The (Paperback)
This is the story of two women who belong to two different cultures but yet have become very good friends, almost soul sisters. Fate deals them a very hard hand, and through love and faith, they are able to survive.
I had never learned about the history of this region and about the Acadians. I was glad to be able to learn it through a historical novel!
The characters are very real and are very well presented throughout the story. The plot also flows very well and the story remains interesting til the end.
Once you read this book, you must continue with the sequel: "The Sacred Shore".

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Meeting Place
The Meeting Place by T. Davis Bunn (School & Library Binding - March 1999)
Used & New from: CDN$ 33.54