5.0 out of 5 stars Great finale to a terrific series
Published on April 2 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Not horrible, but not great either
Warning - this review contains some spoilers as to events in the book. No names are named, but I do give some things away. To keep people from accidentally seeing those, the next paragraph is mainly a gripe session about the decreased quality of McCaffrey's writing.
Published on May 9 2000 by missmao

2.0 out of 5 stars Jumbled collection of sub-plots, May 14 2004
I wanted to like Tower and the Hive, which is the conclusion to McCaffrey's talent series, but I found this novel to be a confusing jumble of prose and an endless parade of insipid minor characters all worshiping at the altar of Lyon/Raven.
The Lyon/Raven family are all just too good to be true. Everyone (except the bad guys), seem to love them. They are saintly.They can do no wrong. They never die. Please.
Even the Lyon/Raven clan's relationships are all perfect. Each couple is more than happy to settle down to become a Lyon/Raven baby-making machine. When accidental pregnancy occurs the prospective fathers all seem to be happy and thrilled. I don't know about you, but I found this to be too saccharin for words.
The only character that really interested me was Laria. But I found her relationship with Kincaid to be implausible and unhealthy. Everyone's reaction to this was very low key. Kincaid is gay; we've seen no indications otherwise in any of the previous books. To have the Mrdini manipulate them to become a couple seemed wrong somehow. Perhaps if Kincaid had bi leanings...But suddenly to get involved in a long term straight relationship? Implausible. Especially when the same character says at some late point: "I'll love you as much as my sexual orientation allows..." Either he loves Laria, or he doesn't why give us a qualifier?
Other than that, there are several loose plot threads and silliness. The whole part with the 'Nose' was just ridiculous. The human nose is just not that sensitive. And what about the ethics of manipulating an entire species using biological warfare? This novel seemed like the jumbled collection of several different prospective novels rolled into one. It lacked the cohesion I've come to expect from a McCaffrey novel and left me feeling unsatisfied.

4.0 out of 5 stars A satisfactory conclusion to an engrossing saga., March 20 2003
Nina M. Osier (Augusta, ME USA) - See all my reviews
In this last of McCaffrey's Talent stories, the psychically gifted team of Angharad "The Rowan" Gwynn and Jeff Raven of Deneb have the dynasty they've founded to draw upon as Humankind takes its long battle against the insect-like Hivers to the home-worlds of that destructive species. For, as Jeff tells one of the Talents' critics in exasperation, the best way to get new Talent is to breed it! Which is why, like every other book in this series, THE TOWER AND THE HIVE is as much about the Gwynn-Raven and Raven-Lyon family as it is about the struggle between the Human-Mrdini alliance and the incomprehensible Hivers.
Since I've been following this series from its beginning, I already cared about Damia Gwynn-Raven, Afra Lyon (a "methody" Capellan who more than holds his own despite his wife's considerably greater mental powers), and their young adult children. The new generation's coming-of-age stories play out while the book's "A plot" unfolds, and I am pleased that (as in real life) every single loose end does not get tied up - but nothing major is left hanging to frustrate the reader. The resolution of the Hiver threat is handled not at all as I might have expected! Which is a good thing, and the author doesn't rob her "villains" of their wonderfully creepy alien-ness in the process. The Mrdini, though, become more alien than ever before as we get a look at their culture (and their biology) that is almost too close for comfort.
A satisfactory conclusion to an engrossing saga.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not horrible, but not great either, May 9 2000
This review is from: Tower And The Hive (Hardcover)
I feel that McCaffrey has started to lose her "sense of wonder"; either that or my expectations have increased since I began reading her books almost ten years ago. To be fair, I have not read the Acorna or Catteni books, so maybe she is concentrating her energy there.
Anyway - a gay person falling in love with a straight person? After it was repeatedly emphasized in the previous book in the series that he was gay, I had a hard time buying into that turn of events.
There was no suspense as to the eventual outcome - although McCaffrey is not one for unhappy endings, this for me is more a calm, soothing book that I can read before bedtime to fall asleep than one in which I can take any real pleasure in.
I could write more, but it would mainly boil down to this: If you must purchase this book, buy the paperback. And don't expect too much.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only bother if the other books hooked you, April 7 2000
Eirenical (Denver, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tower And The Hive (Hardcover)
*To Ride Pegasus* and *Pegasus in Flight* were the two first books I read by Anne McCaffrey. I thought they were wonderful. When I found *The Rowan* I read it as fast as I could; the same with *Damia* and *Damia's Children.* By the time I got to *Lyon's Pride,* I was slowing down a bit. Or else, Ms. McCaffrey was. I prefer to believe it was her, because I can still read the first books and love them as much as before.
I read *The Tower and the Hive* because I had so much enjoyed the stories of the Rowan and Damia that I wanted to know what happened to their children, and not so much because I was interested in the children themselves. Which is a shame. The story here is obviously a continuation of what happened in *Lyon's Pride.* Very little that is new is introduced. The characters and their relationships are not as developed as in previous books; mostly, you must rely on what you remember from those stories to get any feeling of family dynamics.
The short of it is, I only made it all the way through this book because I wanted to know what happened to Damia and the Rowan (who only make cameo appearances in this book). To use a movie analogy, I felt a little like I went to see a two-hour documentary on insect pheromones, just because I knew there was a 5 second comment made by my favorite Hollywood actress.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but it could have been better., Oct. 18 1999
C. Michelle Cooper "Mistwalker" (Georgia, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tower And The Hive (Hardcover)
This was a wonderful story. Learning a little more about the Dini's was great but this book could have been better. When I first read the promo for this book I thought it would be about the threats that the Rowan and Raven would be receiving and the actual attack on them. To my disappointment the actual attack took less than a chapter. Plus the ending could really have used some help. I mean the idea was great but to have everything hinge on a man that has never been in any of the other books, that was a little hard to accept. The development of the relationship between Laria and Kincade was cool, but the rest of the odd characters and side stories would have to be explained and it was evident Anne wanted to move on to other stories. I liked this book, it answered some questions and brought some ending to sections of the story line but it also raised other questions and brought in new story lines that could be explored. Over all a good book, but it did not meet all expectations.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Anne McCaffrey's Best - Leaves a lot to be desired, June 21 1999
This review is from: Tower And The Hive (Hardcover)
This book was worth reading to see how the moral dilemmas were dealt with, and the final solution to the problem of the Hivers was definitely worth reading the book for. A very satisfying solution.
Whilst this is a good read, with fast, pacey action, much detail is left out. I felt that this was an attempt by Anne McCaffrey to finish the series in a hurry, and the plot lines that were started and finished in this book needed at least two books - possibly three - to do them justice. Many of the sub-plots - political intrigue within the Alliance; tensions and dissent within FT&T; personal problems with certain individuals etc etc were dealt with far too quickly. These could have been developed and expanded on but tended to occuring mainly 'behind the scenes' and only bursting into prominence just at their resolution.
Whilst trying not to give away the storyline, Ms McCaffrey's solution to the problem of Hiver communication left a huge plot hole - namely how do they communicate through space? I felt that she got hold of a good idea and stuck with just the one method of communication - humans have several (body language + speech), as do Mrdini language + dreaming) - why don't the Hivers?
Overall a good storyline which has been spoilt by hurried storytelling.

4.0 out of 5 stars good but not her best by far, May 7 1999
This review is from: Tower And The Hive (Hardcover)
This book is good but not her best. The plot was good but could have been expanded into much more. The pheremones thing got really old really fast, Anne you could have come up with someting better--especially when it came to that part of the Mrdini biology. While good to understand (somewhat) their biology, a little more could have been done to explain it. The book gives more an overview of many main characters, than just focusing on two or three, which allows for empathy and growth of the character. There was almost no character growth at all, and it was hard to sympathize with the plights of the characters.
Don't believe the summary--the assisnation attempt wasn't that big of a deal. Also, there are a few discrepansies in the beginning, but another review points those out. It also says that the fate of the hivers is upon one mans shoulders, Pierre a T-10 perfume smeller. How come he was not introduced until the last 90 pages? There was no info on him, no empathizing with him, etc.
Overall it was a good book, but early ones like The Rowan and Damia are far better. Read this book as an ending, it's not quite a filler book (but it's a little too close for comfort)

4.0 out of 5 stars good but not her best by far, May 7 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Great finale to a terrific series, April 2 1999
This review is from: Tower And The Hive (Hardcover)
The Hivers attack on Daneb led to the marriage between Rowan and Raven, two of the most powerful parapsychics in the universe. Together, they successfully repel the invaders. Years later, the Mrdini race contacts their daughter and her future spouse. They ask for help in their two centuries old fight with the Hivers. The Terrans team up with the Mrdini to seek a way to defeat their mutual foe without resorting to killing off the entire species of Hivers.
The Mrdini and the Hivers commonly share rapid population growth. Therefore, each needs new worlds to colonize. However, the Mrdini seem passive when compared to the Hivers and their vicious queens. Rowen, Raven, their daughter, son-in-law, and their grandchildren work together searching for a solution that will pacify the Hivers and find new worlds for the Mrdini to inhabit. If they fail, the universe could be in perpetual war. Their chance for success rests on the nose of one person.
THE TOWER AND THE HIVE brings to a rousing conclusion an exciting series (see THE ROWAN, DAMIA, DAMIA'S CHILDREN, and LYON'S PRIDE). All the main characters from the previous books meet for one final triumphant curtain call. Anne McCaffrey remains one of the most talented authors of the latter half of the twentieth century due to her talent to make other worlds and races seem real. This skill makes this book and the entire series worth reading because rarely is it seen in such an exemplary way.

Harriet Klausner

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly better effort this time, June 19 1999
This review is from: Tower And The Hive (Hardcover)
The Rowan books are my absolute favorite McCaffrey books (with the Freedom Landing books a close second), but I've been really disappointed by the last three books in the series. The Rowan and Damia were incredibly good books, but to be honest, I wish they had left off all the beatle stuff with Damia and explored other plot lines. However, The Tower and the Hive was better than Damia's Children or Lyon's Pride. Laria is a very sympathetic character, although I found her romance to be completely unbelievable. I found myself skimming most of the "beatle parts" - again, I really wish McCaffrey would have found another plot line to explore. There are a ton of loose ends in this book (the biggest one that jumped out at me was the "romance" portion, although there were others). She also didn't really provide a credible way to resolve the FT&T problems.

Tower and the Hive
Tower and the Hive by Anne McCaffrey (School & Library Binding - May 2000)
Used & New from: CDN$ 36.10