Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

Format: School & Library BindingChange

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(2 star).Show all reviews
on August 9, 2003
I love McKillip's writing. But this story was a disappointment. I'm happy to see that others enjoyed it (it's always good to see that what you don't like makes someone else happy), but I wouldn't recommend Tower at Stony Wood. It's an extremely poor representation of McKillip's storytelling talent.
The premise of the story is somewhat intriguing and holds a bit of the spiritual depth McKillip usually brings out in a story. But not only are the 'twists' exceedingly confusing-- they're weak and hardly convincing. McKillip's usual strength at writing strong and beuatiful sentences is not to be found here-- many weak and confusing sentences instead. The three interweaving stories and protagonists were never developed enough for me to actually 'care' for them or believe in them. Many scenes are hard to visualize and are, yes, weak and unconvincing.
I hate to sound so negative, but McKillip has set her own standards high, so this is to her credit. Do try her first trilogy, the Riddle Master, for a fantasy classic-- exquisite storytelling AND writing that deserves more credit from the literary world outside of this genre.
on November 19, 2002
A short little piece that embodies whats wrong with most fantasy writers today...Preachy and simple having the reader knowing that the hero cannot die....Thankfully this is a short book so we dont have to endure a great deal of the hero running around practically invincible... It would be so refreshing if someone wrote fantasy where people died...Oh wait George R.R. Martin does...The book was ok at best (the dragon on the cover plays a very small roll unfortunaty) and is hardly representative of the quality we should expect from Patricia A. McKillip. I mean if a book has a dragon on the cover there should be one in the book! Its only common sense
Skip this one, Go read The Princess Bride again to enjoy some real fantasy...
on June 11, 2000
The book was detailed and lovely with the setting. To tell you the truth, the setting was the only thing that made sense to me. I was lost from the first page on. The book went on forever and seemed pointless. I enjoyed it though, it was lovely, All the authors book are, and thats why I LIKE this book, but The Forgotton Beasts Of Eld is still my favorite