5.0 out of 5 stars The Beekeeper's Apprentice
Published on March 20 2008 by P. C. Kidd

1.0 out of 5 stars The Worst Writer to Write Holmes
I spent more than a month (maybe two, I don't remember now) reading this novel, and to me that means it was dead boring.
Published on April 11 2003 by Khalifa Alhazaa

5.0 out of 5 stars The Beekeeper's Apprentice, March 20 2008
P. C. Kidd (Victoria, B.C. Canada) - See all my reviews
I was grabbed from the first line of the introduction. King writes the way she speaks, I imagine, and I could hear a cool, authoritative, strong-willed voice through the whole, wonderful book. The plot was engaging and clever, and her mastery of Holmes's character was complete. I wasn't two pages into the thing before I ordered all the other titles Amazon had on offer. Now I have to wait until she joins Russell and Holmes again: cue heavy sigh. As an academic who generally limits her reading to works on cultural history, I found this a light, funny, delicately romantic read and I take delight in recommending it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Beekeeper Apprentice, March 26 2012
This story was a wonderful escape. The reader was transported to a different time and into an intriguing story. Life at that time was explained in wonderful detail

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars all the way, Sept. 24 2013
P. S. Bates - See all my reviews
Thrilled with my copy - a treasure for my book shelves.
As described, no problems, no worries, I'll be back.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable mystery, July 9 2013
Amazon Customer (Moncton, New-Brunswick) - See all my reviews
It may very well be blasphemy to some, but I've never read a Sherlock Holmes book before. Of course, I'm familiar with various incarnations of the character due to his appearance in popular culture, but I've never experience Doyle's work. With this perspective in mind, I must say that I quite enjoyed this book and the story it presented. Mary Russell is a fantastic and interesting character, with a mind that races as fast as Holmes' does. The dynamic setup between the two is captivating from their first meeting, and while I found the story does slow down a bit about half way through, it kicks into high gear shortly after and doesn't let go. I'm glad to hear that there are more books in the series, since I'm very interested in catching up with these characters again.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Worst Writer to Write Holmes, April 11 2003
Khalifa Alhazaa "a_mathematician" (Doha, Qatar) - See all my reviews
King introduces Mary Russell, a young Jewish (claims to be secular) girl who used to reside in the US before her family had a devastating car accident, and now she is under the custody of her scrooge female relative, who is obviously stealing her money and depriving her of food.
Holmes, a nice hearted man!, feeds her, and upon finding out that she was good in deduction, he decides to be her mentor. She is not your usual sweet Englishwoman, however, for she scolds him most of the time, and Holmes appears not to be offended by this treatment!
Religion is incorporated in this novel extensively, and this is really a draw back. Religion introduced in a Sherlock Holmes's Novel would not strike me as the best idea.
There are some small mysteries scatterd throughout the story, but they are utterly simple, even old Watson could have solved them without sweating. And always Moriarty was mentioned. At the end some letter was solved using some mathematics on base 8 (2 thumps up) and it turned out to be the hardest thing in the story, which resulted in a not so interesting conclusion.
I do not recommend it for any fan of Sherlock Holmes. But if you are more into romance, you might as well like it!

4.0 out of 5 stars THE RESURRECTION OF SHERLOCK HOLMES..., Jan. 3 2011
Lawyeraau (Balmoral Castle) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I very much enjoyed this book. It successfully resurrects Sherlock Holmes, as the author is able to keep his voice true throughout the book. Moreover, the author uses an ingenious and clever concept in order to bring him back to his legion of fans. The idea of Holmes as mentor to a brilliant young woman is certainly one that takes getting used to. Yet, the author seamlessly weaves his transition from retired recluse to mentor without a hitch.

That brilliant young woman is Mary Russell, a wealthy orphan who, at the age of fifteen, captures the imagination of Sherlock Holmes, who sees in her a kindred spirit. Under his careful tutelage, this young woman, with a mental acuity that rivals his own, over the span of several years becomes as sage a detective as Holmes. Together they have a series of adventures that involve the fine art of deduction and detection.

As their escapades escalate in complexity, they discover themselves pitted against a mind as keen as each of theirs. Their unknown adversary seems hell bent on the dissolution of their partnership and their deaths by whatever means necessary.

This is a highly entertaining work of fiction that fans of Sherlock Holmes should enjoy. Old friends, such as Dr. Watson, Myron Holmes, and Mrs. Hudson, are all part of the fabric of this book. Well-written, the characters are engaging, though the book could have used a bit more editing to make the storyline even tighter. Notwithstanding this one criticism, this is a book that will keep the reader turning the pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous! Can't wait to read the rest of the series!, April 29 2011
This is a very wonderful story. I will be brief, but if you like the concept, you'll love the story, guaranteed. It's positively enchanting - and does the original story proud and brings a wonderful new twist. Highly recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars The Beekeeper's Apprentice, Aug. 15 2009
The year is 1915 and Sherlock Holmes is retired, but a young lady of fifteen years falls into his life and she becomes his protégé. Mary Russell is orphaned and lives with an aunt who is only interested in Mary's inheritance and does not offer Mary any loving guidance. Sherlock Holmes takes the job of teaching Mary all the skills he has learned in his detective work. Mary Russell exhibits an impressive intelligence and is able to absorb what Sherlock teaches her.

As she attends school at Oxford Mary spends her holidays with Holmes and they become involved in detective work together. Mary rescues a young girl from kidnappers and is able to help the young girl deal emotionally with her lose of innocence. Mary is able to relate to the girl's emotional turmoil through her own experience of losing her parents and brother in a car accident.

In the crimes that Holmes and Mary solve there is a common menace. A criminal master mind has been stalking Holmes and the ones he loves and all of their lives are at risk. Mary and Sherlock Holmes have to combine their great minds to figure out who this criminal mastermind is.

"The Beekeeper's Apprentice" by Laurie R. King is the first book in a series a books with Mary Russell being a detective. In this first book she learns the basics of detective work along the side of the great Sherlock Holmes himself.

There are a few things I found hard to deal with in this book. The first thing was the treatment of Dr Watson, he is treated like a baboon and there is a general feeling that Holmes wants nothing to do with Watson now that he has Mary to work with. I think it would have made more sense if Watson was embraced and still loved, rather then shunned and ridiculed. He plays a very small role so why debase him?

Another weakness with mystery novels is that so many words are spent on developing the scene of the crime and the detective work and as a result there are fewer words left for developing the characters. One thing I love about reading is falling in love with the characters and having them become my new best friends and it just does not fully develop into that type of relationship in this book, there are a few times it comes close, for example when Mary and Sherlock are in Palestine I truly feel Mary's love for who she is and how she lost her family, I loved that section, but overall they did not become fast friends with me.

This is a female power book; Mary is a great example of a female with a great intellect and of someone who gets the job done right. "The Beekeeper's Apprentice" is an excellent read for young adult female readers who are looking for strong female characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Keeper, July 13 2004
I was introduced to this book by my sister, who got it from a friend. I finnished the book, and promptly started to look for the next book, The Monstrous Regiment of Women. If you are looking for a book that you can't put down, and makes you feel like you are actually there with Mary Russel and Sherlock Holmes, then this is the book for you!!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Its a Good Read!", April 1 2004
By A Customer
I am ashamed to admit that I bought this book several years ago and only recently picked it up to read. What a waste of years! This is a delightful read. Engaging characterizations, great heroine and thank God, a wonderful treatment of Holmes.
I'm scouring the internet now for anything else she has written.

ARRAY(0xb37b2420)

Beekeeper's Apprentice
Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King (School & Library Binding - March 2002)
Out of stock