5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Book For Some
Published on March 20 2004 by cmw1126@aol.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Discursive pop philosophy...
Lambert heaps pop philosophy with a shovel in huge, syropy dollops in this discursive essay on the sport of rowing. An amusing book, certainly, good for light reading. Not terribly original and the philosophical ideas lack focus and are not integrated.
Published on April 5 2002 by Peter Mills

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Book For Some, March 20 2004
cmw1126@aol.com (Cambridge, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mind Over Water: Lessons on Life from the Art of Rowing (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and its musings, although I suspect that much of my appreciation can be explained by my: (1) being about the same age as the author; (2) having rowed occasionally and run daily along the Charles River; (3) having attended Harvard College and having heard much about Harry Parker and some of the Ivy League's great rowers; (4) having read "The Amateurs" and a number of other books on crew; and (5) appreciating good writing, no matter what the topic. Like some, but not all of the other Amazon reviewers, I found Lambert's analogies and life-lessons cogent and reaffirming. If you share any of my propensities, I highly recommend the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars seductive sports saga, Oct. 26 2003
ciz (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
I had fun with this book. As a rower who has been on national teams and medaled at the Olympic Games,I resonated with this saga of rowing and what it means to those who do it. Some sports books I have read take the perspective of the outsider, the spectator. In sharp contrast, this one comes from someone who has really "been there," who has experienced training, racing, winning and losing. This is the real thing. The author extrapolates down-to-earth, practical experiences to worldly, spiritual, and even cosmic insights. Highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Godel, Escher, Bach meets Jonathan Livingston Seagull, Oct. 3 2002
Mary Malmros (Charlemont, MA) - See all my reviews
I don't know when I've read a more unfortunately flawed book -- unfortunately, because while there are snippets of truly inspired writing in it, they are overwhelmed by too many examples of what Strunk and White have told us all not to do. The author, evidently a successful journalist, seems to lose all sense of restraint in the book-length format: pithiness is absent as points are belabored to death; metaphors are piled three- and four-deep until all sense of the original subject is lost; and a sense of appropriate diction is tossed out the window in favor of florid, show-off vocabulary that causes the reader to wince in sympathetic embarrassment. Perhaps most telling, the author never seems to find an authentic voice. Compelling books on sports have been written from the perspective of both the insider and the outsider; Lambert seems to try for both, and is convincing as neither. He drops the names of rowing greats he has shared the river with, yet never seems to find his own place as a rower, the level at which he can simply put his head down and work at it without concern for what others are doing. Constantly fretting at his own inadequacies and questioning whether he has any right to consider himself a "real athlete", he articulates a series of vague goals that are best summed up as a desire not to be last -- or at least, not last by too much. The result, for the reader, is to end up wondering why Lambert is in this endeavor -- rowing or writing -- and if the author himself doesn't seem to know, why should the reader care?

3.0 out of 5 stars Discursive pop philosophy..., April 5 2002
Peter Mills (Cumberland, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews

2.0 out of 5 stars Mind over water Lessons on life from the art of rowing, Dec 15 1999
By A Customer
Craig Lambert's Book 'Mind over water: Lessons on life from the art of rowing' attempts to explain how rowing can be a metaphor for life. 'attempts' being the key word there. Being a rower myself, I found that his ideas were so far fetched and in some cases I had no idea how they related to both life and the sport of rowing that we both share. I had to skip over many of the parts that were wordy, and it seems many of the paragraphs could be re-written to be half the length. I am not an english Major, but I did notice that he Author has not organized his thoughts very well. I found that one idea many times did not follow the next. Lambert included some unecessary bits of information such as where he played as a child, and much about his career as an adult. As much as I disliked Craig Lambert's book, he did at least use the correct rowing terminology. But all in all I would not reccomend ambert's book to my fellow crewmates.

3.0 out of 5 stars Makes me want to write my own book about rowing., Sept. 26 1999
By A Customer
Craig, just do not tell me that it is not about winning the race and that the gold medal around your neck is not the most divine feeling on Earth! What you fail to point out is that it takes some talent in addition to lots of hard work to get there. That talent is "a gift of God" and if you have it, it can turn you from a novice to an Olympian rower in only 2-3 years. It takes a great coach to discover and nurture that talent, and that is why my favourite parts of the book are your descriptions of some charizmatic rowing coaches from US.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much preaching here..., Sept. 24 1999
By A Customer
I'm new to the sport, and unlike the reviews above I was NOT all that enthralled by this book. Go read "Rowing Against The Current" is you want good literature. I felt Lambert was always reaching to show he knew something (or looked it up for the book) more than expressing himself. Better reads for action include "The Amatuers" and "Shell Game"

5.0 out of 5 stars It is very inspirational book, July 11 1999
I am a experienced rower in CT and I love this book. My dad bought it for me. It talks about rowing in a philosophical way. Well, I like this book because it is saying rowing is a mental sport aswell as a physical one. It is! No one can question me on that point. I have been into rowing since I was 4 years old. My older brother rowed and I would go out into the launch with the coach and get to tell him what to do. There I learned how to be a coach. I have been rowing for years. I row 2 seasons out of the year and run the other 2. At my high school we only have rowing in the spring and summer. I love the sport very much. This book is a GREAT book for rowers of all levels. So the next time you are about to do a race piece remember to relax your body not your mind. You need to keep your body relaxed even when you are start with a 36 and then your cox is telling you to do a power 30 at a 32, your legs are tired from the the start you did and your hands are bleeding because of the blisters on your hands. Yes, I have had the dreaded blisters. But after toughing my hands up instead of blisters I have calluses which are no better. Well, at least they don't hurt! HA!HA!HA! This book reminds me a whole lot of my summer coach, back to back '95(Finland) and '96(Scotland)lightweight women's pair world champion Ellen Minzner. It has really changed my mind about rowing, and now I row better because I have seen rowing through a different light. So I would recommend this book for rowers of all levels(club or world champions).

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes me want to get back into a shell, May 31 1999
By A Customer
An on-again-off-again oarsman, I can appreciate Lamgbert's lyrical rendition of the sport and overlook its technical inadequacies...this is a great quick read. His philosophy may not stay with me, but the model will - a middle aged man drawing deeply from the nourishment of a great sport.

3.0 out of 5 stars O.K. down the stretch but loses it in the last 500m, April 30 1999
By A Customer
Lambert's account of his return to rowing is like the Shell Game, more appropriate for the uninitiated. Lambert's account is a little better because it is more philosophical. While his inspirational messages do have their merits, Lambert spends much of the last part of the book discussing the inspirational techniques of Harry Parker, someone he's never really met. After paying him so many compliments the book seems stale.

ARRAY(0xfe300f0)

Mind Over Water: Lessons on Life from the Art of Rowing
Mind Over Water: Lessons on Life from the Art of Rowing by Craig Lambert (Paperback - Aug. 10 1999)
CDN$ 18.95 CDN$ 15.16