march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

4.6 out of 5 stars1,400

Showing 21-30 of 61 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on October 12, 1999
Sorry, I think I'm unable to understand what is so great with this book. I began to read this book with very large expections and was so dissapointed. It tells nothing it doesn't wakes any sort of feelings in the reader. It is something you can read, but nothing more.
I admit that Tolkien was the first author to write this, the fight of good against evil, but sometimes this is not enough.
Anybody out there saying Tolkien can write? Me not. His charakters are plain, they are never facing any kind of decicion. There is either good or evil, light or darkness, but nothing in between.
AND he missed the end. After the coronation of Aragorn the book is over, but Tolkien keeps telling something.
The Lord of the Rings is something like a legend and its creation was "good" but its fame is larger than the truth.
on June 27, 1999
Is this a very good book? Yes. Was it the blueprint for most, if not all fantasy novels to come? Yes. Is it "the best novel of all time"? No. Not even close.
It's bloated and overlong; for a book with such a rich plot, there are EXTREMELY long passages where nothing happens at all. The first 200 pages or so could easily be trimmed to 75.
The characters rely on constant deus ex machinas to help them along with their quest. An example of this is when the small hobbit Merry faces off against the evil undead lord of the Nazgul, truly a terrifying character. Merry was lucky enough to have found the only magical blade in the world that could pierce his armor, and managed to kill him with a succession of lucky blows. At times it reads like a bad parody of itself.
It's worth one read, but not three hundred.
on January 15, 2004
This seems to be the only unabridged recording on CD which is enough of a surprise. Unfortunately, I find the recording only average. Mr. Inglis does an alright job and I concede that this is a very difficult piece to handle, but I agree with the 12/11/2003 reviewer who said that he sounds bored at times, too sing-song at others. I would add to that that he doesn't do a good enough job of adopting well-distinguished voices for each character. If you have had the pleasure of hearing any of the Harry Potter books performed by Jim Dale, you will be disappointed, as I was, by this one. Nevertheless, for now, this is the only way to listen to the pure, unedited Tolkien.
Also, I just discovered, my copy of FotR has two disc 16's and no disc 15!!! Tried playing each to see if it was just a labelling problem - they are the same disc.
on August 30, 1999
What's to say, tolkien's a very good author in his own way. You don't feel his character's though, you don't care about them much. 500 pages seems really really long in this books. You know how in some books you hardly noticed that you've read 100 pages. Not so here, I swear I looked at the page numbers all of the time and got nowhere. I read the first 200 pages (which were really boring) then got to the interesting part. Unfortunatly the report on it was due the next day so all day I spent reading it page by page until it was finished. Moria was good Rivendell and Elf Land were dragged out quite alot. I give it three because it's very high quality writing. Structurally sound. I just failed to pick it up and soar...if you get my meaning. Don't get me wrong though, the hobbit and the rest of the trilogy are really good.
on August 30, 1999
on December 11, 2003
It's the only complete reading of LotR out there, so it will have to do. Rob Inglis does a wonderful job performing the lighter roles. His hobbits in Hobbiton are outstanding. He also does a good Gollum (which isn't a light role). He's probably a good character actor. However, the dramatic renderings are frequently given in a frustratingly sing-song, randomly-inflected tone. It's like he gets bored or something and resorts to reading rather than performing. Tolkien, who wasn't a professional performer, per se, did a much more stirring job in his informal sample recordings, presented in The J.R.R. Tolkien Audio Collection. I wish someone could do for LotR what Jim Dale does for Harry Potter. Granted it's a long, complex slog, requiring a vast number of voices, however this story deserves more than it gets here.
on January 23, 2004
I first read the three volumes of the lord of the Ring when I was a child back in early 1980. I have since lost the books from that time So I bought this reprinting of the story. I am sorry to see that key facts about the story are missing.
Don't get me wrong this story is legendary and a must read. But as a collectors item it does not measure up. There are ommited or changed scenes changes in the book concerning the underhanded dealing the ring plays on Frodo in the Bar and what ever happened to the elven roop that Sam had? It was never used. Also a lot of the poetry has been removed.
If you have never read this book before you will not know that I am talking about and so no worries. It really is a great story. I bought it as I wanted a copy for my liftime. It is a story that will last the ages.
on June 22, 2000
I know I'll probably go to hell for saying this, but I really do not see why Tolkien is so popular. I can not deny that he writes intelligently. His world is undeniably well thought out. However, it seems to me that his style of writing is out of date and if he wrote the Lord of the Rings Trilogy today-- it would flop. His story is bogged down with detail (most of it unnessasary), the plot is typical (yes I know his story is the protoype for modern fantasy writers)and his characters seem very flat as compared to the demand we put on writers today for well rounded characters. I have great respect for Tolkien, but I think some readers love him only because of his reputation and not for his work. His style of writing is now extinct.
on February 9, 2002
This book is a great book but you have to be ready for the difficulties of reading it. It is hard to get into the language and fully understanding it. Sometimes you will have to read the same sentence over and over to finally get the meaning. I love the characters and as the book goes on it is easier to read. I can almost put myself in middle earth and feel like I am there with Frodo and everyone else. Just don't over analyse the language and try to remember everything that goes on, that would make reading this book like a headache. Your best bet is just to read and enjoy and go along with the characters and try to image what the places look like, etc... this is how I enjoyed the book.
on May 11, 1999
I read Dune and loved it. And one of the reviewers referred to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and said something about it being better than Dune. That's the last time I'm going to listen to a reviewer. This book has an extremely boring introduction that doesn't grip the readers. But motivated by that review, i kept reading, hoping the book will get interesting soon. It didn't. What I want in a book is a interesting characters, with real emotions that you can somewhat relate to. The personality is predetermined by the person's race and completely generic. Halfings: Nervous, somewhat paranoid, and kind. Dwarves: Sturdy, strong, and prideful. Read Dune instead.