5.0 out of 5 stars Great
Easy to find birds. Well made and laid out. Ordered one for my friend in Ontario.Would recommend it. Easy to carry.
Published 18 months ago by Couver

3.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, for a photo guide
Published on March 6 2002 by Erin K. Darling

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, Jan. 17 2013
This review is from: Kaufman Field Guide to Birds of North America (Vinyl Bound)

4.0 out of 5 stars Kaufman Field Guide to Birds of North America, Jan. 18 2012
As newbies to birding we find this field guide a useful complement to a few other guides we have that are region specific. The artwork is good and the guide size is easily transportable. The descriptions of the bird species is great and very thorough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Bird ID Book I've Ever Owned, Jan. 2 2010
Stanley Lui (Waterloo, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
We have a shelf full of bird guides in our house, but this is the book we grab first, and 99% of the time, the only one that is needed. Also one of the few out there with good pictures of BOTH sexes. Would we rather they had photos instead of drawings? Probably. But it's a small price to pay for the best identification book we've ever had.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, for a photo guide, March 6 2002
Erin K. Darling "naive cynic" (olympia, wa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birds of North America (Paperback)
Let me tell you my bias up-front - I generally prefer bird guides which contain illustrations rather than photographs; I have found that poor lighting, bad angles and subjects not representative of their species tend to make their way into photo guides, thereby defeating the purpose. That said, I am very impressed with the quality of images in the Kaufman guide, likely because they're not unretouched. Kaufman uses digital editing to touch up the photographs so that each one is more representative of each species, and so that the quality of lighting is excellent.
It is of a size small enough to be easily carried into the field, unlike my favorite book, the Sibley guide, and the different page background colors are convenient for flipping quickly to the right section. There are short sections in the front of the book on "how to bird," "where to bird," and "what to look for," along with a few other blurbs, but all of this covers only nine pages total. Further, the text accompanying each bird is very short, one small paragraph.
Still, it's readily apparent that a *lot* of work went into this guide, and I'm really impressed with it. While I personally believe that it's not something a novice birder would likely find really useful, like the National Geographic Society's book, intermediate and advanced birders will likely find it easy to use for quick reference about a field marking or species differentiation. Conveniently, he covers all of the birds of North America, thereby obviating the need to purchase one book for the East, one for the West, and so forth.
My best advice is to get your hands on a copy of this book before purchasing it if you're not certain you'll like it - birding guides can be a highly-personal thing, and you may find that this review is just totally buggered! I'm still glad I own this book, and occasionally take it out into the field instead of my preferred NGS, just for the sake of variety.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it and recommend it. Great novice field guide, June 30 2004
This review is from: Birds of North America (Paperback)
I grew up with an aunt who loved Birding. When I was a child she gave me a Golden Books Guide. I havent birded since and decided to buy a new book and compare the two.. Ken's guide blows it away..Many have opinions about the advantage/disadvantage of photographs or paintings, but after having the book I'll choose Ken s photos every time. He did a superb job with this book and photos. I always hated how the books with painted images appeared brighter in its colors than the birds in real life. I went thru most every pocket sized guide outthere and this book was my #1 pick. It has a tougher Flexicover than most all others and the color coded pages are quick and easy for a novice. The picture set ups are great and not jumbled/jammed together as other books. Granted this is not a desk manual so it only has the minumum required info on each bird, but thats all you need for a pocket field guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new approach to a field guide..., Nov. 18 2003
J. Guild (Toronto,Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birds of North America (Paperback)
This is an excellent book.If you are looking to buy a bird guide for yourself or as a gift, you can't go wrong with this.The problem of buying a bird guide is that there are so many to choose from;especially if the buyer has not been birding for several years.Personally,I would recommend this for a fairly new birder as opposed to Peterson's guide for one reason alone.this book covers all of North America.Peterson has one for the East and one for the West;and while if you only want your guide to use in either the East or West,that's not too bad,but if you are in the center of the continent, or plan to travel,you'll need both.So,simple ,why buy 2 when 1 will do?The Golden covers all N,A. but does not have the "arrows" pointing out the best identification features.I also feel the computer enhanced pictures are better;but that can be a matter of preference.The single page index at the back of Kenn's book will be a big help to new or average birders.Either of Kaufman,s Peterson,s or Golden are excellent to start birding.The National Geographic and Sibleys are also excellent;but a better choice for a more experienced (5+ years).Up until Kaufman's book,very few birders liked photographs ,as opposed to drawings,but this book has changed all that.
After saying all that,and it would be easy to go on comparing these guides,in the final analiyis ,you can't go too far wrong.If you or the person you are buying the book for takes birding serious you'll probably buy all the guides mentioned before too long.There are good points going for all of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars best field guide, July 5 2003
robin edmundson (Solsberry, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birds of North America (Paperback)
i own several bird guides and this is by far my very favorite. i love having the maps with the descriptions. i also like the notations about song and calls, which have helped me ID birds long before i have seen them. if you have to choose only one guide, i'd recommend this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars I give this one to my friends, June 24 2003
Larry Korkowski (Southwest Utah) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birds of North America (Paperback)
I've owned and enjoyed numerous field guides through my 50+ years of life: Peterson, Golden, National Geographic Society, Audubon, Sibley and Kaufman. My homes have been Illinois, Alaska and Montana. The guide I carry in the field today is Kaufman's BIRDS OF NORTH AMERICA.
His digitally altered photographs are not as lovely as the paintings in the latest NGS, Sibley or Peterson guides (which I own and admire). His written comments are enjoyable, brief and apt. Kaufman's guide works best, I believe, for quick identification in the field. That is why this is the first bird book I give to my friends.
Negatives? Sure. I do not care for the colored pages (indexing okay, but not entire pages), and I think some of the owls look weird.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for the casual birdwatcher, June 5 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Birds of North America (Paperback)
I bought this book a year ago so I could identify the birds coming to my backyard feeder, and I still keep it by my sofa. The illustrations are very good, the descriptions clear, and the maps showing the range of each of the birds very useful. I've been able to identify every bird passing through my yard, and even enjoy browsing the pitcures/write-ups of those birds I likely will never see.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book for new birders, May 22 2002
Stacy M. Fobar (Denver, CO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birds of North America (Paperback)
I've just started to get involved with the world of birds and I have to say that this is by far the best book to learn from. Not only is it easy to use, but it is also full of interesting, helpful facts. Since I have the flexi-cover edition, I can take it anywhere! I can use it at the top of a summit or in the car. This is by far the best book for new birders out.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Kaufman Field Guide to Birds of North America
Kaufman Field Guide to Birds of North America by Kenn Kaufman (Vinyl Bound - April 14 2005)
CDN$ 24.50 CDN$ 17.69