4.0 out of 5 stars The later chapters are enchanting.
Published 3 months ago by Carolyn

3.0 out of 5 stars I like this book alot.
This book is a ghost story about two girls named Ashley and Kristie that discover a nother world. One day They are pulling up weeds in the garden even though they were told not to go there and they find a box buried in the ground. There is an old doll and a misterios note. A few nights later a ghost cat named Snowball leads Ashley through the hedge that seperats her yard...
Published on Dec 11 2001 by A 10-year old reader

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The later chapters are enchanting., April 23 2014
Carolyn (Manitoba) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Doll in the Garden: A Ghost Story (Paperback)
I owned <i>”Time For Andrew”</i>, 1994 a few years before discovering it is a masterpiece. I unhesitatingly pick up anything <b>Mary Downing Hahn</b> publishes and spotted “<b>The Doll In The Garden</b>”, 1989. <b>Mary</b> leans towards time travel rather than hauntings. I savour the way she plunges into otherworldliness nonetheless. I count on her to tread there and didn’t let this novel sit on my dresser longer than one day! Delegation of stars is a smidgen lower because this was a simplified portrayal of textbook scenarios.

A girl moves with her cat, <i>Oscar</i> and widowed Mother. Rather typically, they struggle financially and their landlady is a crank. She forbids a disused garden, the source of interest immediately presenting itself to the transplanted child. A younger, annoying neighbour girl causes difficulty but they try to be companions. If I hadn’t been dazzled by the multitudinous threads and creativity <b>Mary</b> achieved with <i>”Time For Andrew”</i> in few pages, I might not feel she breezes through common issues in this one. This was composed earlier, so we could say she was warming up to the journey of her later release.

This story is still wonderfully inventive. The girls find a doll in the off-limits garden. A cat rumoured to be a ghost, has been sighted every July. Our brave protagonist, <i>Ashley</i> follows it to the next yard, which has been empty of any structure for decades. These are the enchanting chapters. They meet the doll’s owner, discover the circumstances under which she would like it to be given back, and we learn why their landlady has been a crank. The conclusion is very satisfying, because the threads aren’t settled in the manner books often handle them. Most especially, we learn the important role the landlady has had in all this for about seventy years.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Doll in The Garden, Feb. 13 2003
daniel yang (Cerritos, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doll In The Garden Pb (Paperback)
Ten-year-old Ashley, the main character, followed a beautiful white cat, which reminded her of her own cat, into Mrs. Coopers enchanted garden. Ashley had been warned many times to stay out of that garden, but still she was curious. Ashley had many plan to make the pond look better with the help of her friend Kristi. While Ashley is pulling her weeds and clearing the empty pond she comes across a box. What was in it? A doll buried in the dirt. Ashley also comes upon many different mysteries. Who is the little girl with the long golden curls that awaits her companion, Carrie, to come? Whose voice cries out at night? And why doesn't the white cat have a shadow beneath the moonlight?
I enjoyed reading this book because I simply enjoy ghost stories, and this book is a great example of a ghost story. This book has many misteries and thrills every time. "Kristi crept closer, and when I finally got it open she screamed at the sight of its contents. It's a dead girl! She cried." It is these kinds of events that keep you at the end of your seat! I loved how the author put all the right thrills in the right places.
I relished reading this book because it was interesting reading about the many ways Ashley used to solve the mystery and how she was determined to find out! I loved how the author, Mary Downing Hahn, wrote in descriptive detail and added interesting dialogue to the story. I enjoyed reading about the many characters like Mrs. Cooper, the wicked landlord, Kristi, Ashley's friend, and all the other character in the story.
My favorite part in the book would have to be when Ashley had the courage to talk back to Mrs. Cooper. Ashley finally showed Mrs. Cooper that she could also be fierce. "How could you be so mean? I asked Louisa was an Orphan, and she was sick." Mrs. Cooper finally expressed herself and told Ashley why she had to do the mean things. From then on Mrs. Cooper seemed different! She had agreed to go with Ashley to see Louisa and give Anna Maria to Louisa. This is why I liked reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A spooky, moving story, July 4 2004
This review is from: Doll In The Garden Pb (Paperback)
Another well-crafted ghost story from Mary Downing Hahn, this book follows the adventures of Ashley, who moves into a rented appartment and starts exploring the overgrown garden. She comes across a doll, long buried, and sets out to discover why it is there, and what the mysterious cries that she hears at night are.
Not a scary ghost story, it is very moving and I found myself crying at a few spaces. It might be a little cliche for an adult reader, but it is a great read for a younger reader who is interested in ghost stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars ***_gOoD BoOk To ReAd***_, March 22 2004
By A Customer
In the book "A Doll In The Garden" It's about a girl by the name of Ashley cummings who moves to Monkton Hills with her mother and they discover something interesting in their backyard garden.They moved into a house with an old lady who was renting out the top floor of her house(so they lived there) the old lady's name is miss cooper, she is very rude and mean to people especially little girls, who she hates, and cats because the only animal that she likes is her own dog. This book was very exciting and kept me guessing the whole time i was reading it. This author has a good way of explaining things and also has a good sentance fluency, so you just zoom through the book as your reading it.
This book is about Two girls about 11 or summin like that who explore throughout this rosebushes garden in which they aren't suppose to go in and the girls find a buried doll which mysteriously leads them into a ghostly world where everything is different. read this book NOW because it is absolutly excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as I remembered it to be, March 9 2004
This review is from: Doll In The Garden Pb (Paperback)
Mary Downing Hahn was my favorite author when I was in middle school. I am now a 24-year-old graduate student who recently read a few of them again. Downing Hahn's story lines are easy to follow yet multi-layered and well written. A Doll in the Garden entertained me as much as it did when I was a young girl who craved ghost stories.

4.0 out of 5 stars On Healing the Past and the Present, April 4 2003
Tracy Robert (Albuquerque, NM United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Doll In The Garden Pb (Paperback)
I purchased this book out of my personal interest as an adult doll/doll book collector, a collector of children's books, and an elementary teacher. I found this chapter book for middle grade (4th-8th grades)students to hold a solid story that kept me reading until the end. I would definitely recommend it to age appropriate readers who are interested in dolls, fantasy, mystery, or those who are recovering from a death in the family (but not too recently).
In this book, Ashley and her mother move to a house in the suburbs to begin a new life after the death of Ashley's father. The house they move to is a portion of a larger house owned by a cranky older lady (Miss Cooper) who constantly threatens to throw them out. Miss Cooper is particularly after Ashley, who wanders off to explore the garden around the house. During one of her explorations, Ashley and a younger neighbor discover a buried antique doll and Miss Cooper's buried source of regret. Ashley challenges Miss Cooper's crankiness in order to return the doll to its orginal owner and learns about making peace with people who have died.
I enjoyed this story for the fantasy element. Well written characters drew me into the story, and didn't make the fantasy seem too unrealistic. I also really liked the realistic discussion of feelings that occur when someone you love/are close to dies. This multilayered gem is worth the purchase price for interested readers.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Doll in The Garden, Feb. 14 2003
daniel yang (Cerritos, CA USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Doll in the Garden: A Ghost Story, June 17 2002
This review is from: Doll In The Garden Pb (Paperback)
I am nine years old and this is the first Mary Downing Hahn book I have read. It is one of my favorite books written by her. The story is about a girl and her mom renting a home where an old lady lives. The girl goes in the backyard garden and finds a treasure box. Inside is an old doll....and that's where the mystery begins.

5.0 out of 5 stars The doll in the garden, April 18 2002
By A Customer
The book "The doll in the garden" is an exciting and suspenseful story. The ghost story, written by Mary Downing Hahn, will certainly keep reader gripped and interested.
When Ashley, a ten-year-old girl moves to Monkton Mills with her mother after her father dies, a not so nice surprise awaits her. The cruel Mrs.Cooper, their landlord, hates children and doesn't welcome them in a particularly friendly way. The first thing that captures Ashley's eye is an overgrown rose garden. Her mother goes into their new house and Ashley hurries into the garden but then she hears a whisper from next door. Her new neighbor Kristy, an eight-year-old girl, tells her that the garden is haunted, and that people can hear things advancing from the garden at night. Ashley doesn't believe her until that night when she wakes up because of a soft weeping, she looks out of the window and sees a white cat but something is wrong. Why doesn't the cat have a shadow, and why does she hear the girl crying?
The other seven books written by Mary Downing Hahn are certainly as good as this one. The doll in the garden is great for children and adults alike.
Coco Huberts

5.0 out of 5 stars Doll in the garden, March 22 2002
By A Customer
Doll in the garden is an exellent book. It was one of my favorite book. I like this book because it's a ghost story and it's like an adventure book. I really like how the story was told.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Doll in the Garden: A Ghost Story
The Doll in the Garden: A Ghost Story by Mary Downing Hahn (Paperback - June 18 2007)
CDN$ 7.95 CDN$ 7.55