5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Complete Primer on Music Therapy, Feb. 19 2001
This review is from: The New Music Therapist's Handbook (Paperback)
I am a registered music therapist. I found this to be a very understandable and easy to read book. It outlines everything a music therapist needs to know in a clinical setting. It would be a great book for an intro to music therapy class. It sets the tone for a solid music therapy program.
First, it defines music therapy with different populations, i.e., behavior disorders, developmental disabilities, psychiatric disorders, medical patients, etc. In short, all of the places where music therapists work.
Second, it outlines the steps: Identifying the therapeutic objectives, assessment, designing a therapeutic plan, determining strategies, implementing the plan, and evaluating the music therapy. Each step is a chapter in the book, and each chapter ends with a selection of other books for further reading.
In a nutshell, this is goal-oriented music therapy. If all university programs educated their students (and not all do) as concisely as this book, there would be a lot more good music therapists walking around.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great introductory book for students, Jan. 3 2003
This review is from: The New Music Therapist's Handbook (Paperback)
I'm one of the many students of music therapy using this as a textbook for class. Hanser describes her process in therapy well, discussing all the necessary aspects from assessment to termination. My relatives are reading this to learn more about what I'm learning as well. It might be dry reading if you're not already somewhat knowledgeable about music therapy. For a first taste, I'd recommend Kenneth Bruscia's Case Studies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking Forward to Reading It, May 30 2000
This review is from: The New Music Therapist's Handbook (Paperback)
I haven't read this book yet, but I am REALLY looking forward to it. I am a sophomore in high school and I am planning of going into the field of Music Therapy after college. I want to read this book as soon as I can so that I will have a good idea of what I have before me in this line of duty.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Basic Start!, Jan. 16 2002
This review is from: The New Music Therapist's Handbook (Paperback)
This book is a great start to a person interested in Music Therapy. The outlines of the treatment were a great help. The only thing I wish were included were certian techniques they used.

The New Music Therapist's Handbook
The New Music Therapist's Handbook by Suzanne B. Hanser (Paperback - March 1 2000)
CDN$ 33.44 CDN$ 19.75