5.0 out of 5 stars Modes for Guitar, Feb. 15 2009
James S. Mclean "JSM" (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Modes for Guitar (Paperback)
I've studied a couple of books on the modes, a simple concept that can be difficult to grasp. Modes for Guitar is the next step in making practical use of the modes. Well organized, it touches on each of the modes and stays basic at all times. The text never short-cuts the reader and takes special care not to be obscure. The author makes the correct assumption that I bought the book because I needed clear explanations and effective help. A great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide to understanding guitar theory, March 29 2009
Andrew Krose "akrose" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Modes for Guitar (Paperback)
This book goes hand and hand with MI Press's Fretbook work series. I recommend getting both books and between them they pretty much will explain everything you may want to know on the theory side of guitar music. My guitar teacher uses's this book for his teaching, and recommended the MI Press series as the books to get if I was to purchase music books. So far he is right on the money. I have purchased this one, the fretboard workbook and music reading. I work between all three and my understanding of music theory is just expanding on a daily basis. I wont lie and say this is easy reading, I find I have to really work at it to fully understand what they are explaining, but the layout and style of the book has been well laid out and as I progress makes sense to what is brought forward in the next chapter.

Modes for Guitar
Modes for Guitar by Tom Kolb (Paperback - April 1 2001)
CDN$ 21.20 CDN$ 15.14