5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly What I Needed
I bought this book to relearn all the grammar I used to know. Having had six years of French (last class was ten years ago), I needed something that would take me through grammar lessons fairly quickly. This book does that.
This is a handbook on grammar and conjugations. It follows a simple pattern for presenting material--it provides short lessons with examples,...
Published on March 27 2001 by David W. Bernard

3.0 out of 5 stars for what i was looking for, it did not do well
it's a great book overall, as it covers most, if not all of the subjects regarding french grammar. but i wished they included indepth information regarding the imparfait usage, passe compose, and plus que parfait. those are the subjects that confuse me the most, this book only gave what i already knew about these subjects.
it's good for those in-between beginner...
Published on May 23 2005 by Graph

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent resource and review, March 10 2001
This review is from: The Ultimate French Review and Practice: Mastering French Grammar for Confident Communication (Paperback)
I am trying to relearn my French after many years. I am taking lessons and bought this book to reinforce what we are doing in class. It is excellent. The descriptions are clear and complete. There are zillions of exercises in each chapter with the answers in the back so it is easy to get instant feedback on how you are doing. I spent the morning working through the exercises on the IMPARFAIT and I think I have finally pounded it into my head. I definitely recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tres bien, June 8 2000
Slowrunnerpdx (Portland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This is an excellant review book for the former student of french. Instead of the usual slow progress of the "learn french" genre, this book is for the person who once knew french, but forgot it from lack of use. I've purchased two tape series in the past that bored me to tears from the repetition of je suis, tu es, il est. This book rocks and helps you to restore what you used to know! I only wish it had tapes so that I could work on pronunciation. I guess that's what my tutor's for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive review, Jan. 29 2000
By A Customer
And easy to follow--I've been away from the formal study of French for several years, and this book really has helped me to dust off my grammar. Great for someone who already knows some French, and refreshing not to have to start with level one, as in most books. The exercises have lots of repetition but don't get dull.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazingly good, Jan. 3 2000
well i just bought this book today and its really good. it gives in detail all the grammar aspects...and its pretty tough to find this type of book for intermediate/advanced. its a great book to buy if you're having trouble with grammar..plus it has little exercises to test you on what you've learned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed with scope of book., Nov. 5 1999
By A Customer
This book is quite comprehensive and a godsend for the French language student. Concise summary of grammar rules along with numerous exercises make this book an absolute must for your library. Solutions to the exercises are found in the back of the book. I was very impressed. I just wish a German one were available, too.

1.0 out of 5 stars GARBAGE, Jan. 14 2005
By A Customer
everything is all over the place; they jump from subject to subject without completing anything in depth. This book is not helpful at all. It doesn't even have the most important thing in french grammar: conjugaison du Participe passe- there are 2 exercises on it which are good for first graders. And the index sucks, you can't find anything in it.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but full of errors!, Jan. 8 2010
D. Joyce (Canada) - See all my reviews
I would say that this is a great resource EXCEPT that it has several errors contained within the book and needs a good bilingual copyeditor to go through it and check the answers in the back. One such example is in Chapter 6 on Passé Composé, exercise B #10 asks you to put the sentence "Je remonte le boulevard" in the past tense, giving the correct answer as "J'ai remonté le boulevard", however as the next page illustrates (and unless I am very mistaken), the verb remonter requires être rather than avoir (Je suis remonté le boulevard). There are plenty of other examples as well. Also, the book uses short-hand such as "qqch" for quelque chose but doesn't define it (I still can't recall what "qqn" stands for). In order for a language book to be a good review/study/teaching tool, it MUST be clear, concise, and correct, otherwise it isn't worth the paper it's written on. Hopefully the publishers spend some time correcting the book as it would otherwise be a great learning/study tool.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›