5.0 out of 5 stars Fforde's Continuing Inspired Lunacy Wins Again
Published on March 20 2011 by Alison S. Coad

3.0 out of 5 stars not Japser Fforde's best
Published on June 29 2012 by Neko

5.0 out of 5 stars Fforde's Continuing Inspired Lunacy Wins Again, March 20 2011
Alison S. Coad (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
"One of Our Thursdays Is Missing" is the sixth novel in the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde, and unlike many series, it is absolutely essential for the reader to have read the previous five volumes if one hopes to have a glimmer of a clue as to what is going on. That said, anybody who loves literary fiction, absurdism along the lines of Flann O'Brien and jaw-droppingly funny puns, allusions and other forms of written humour will, I hope, have already discovered the mad genius that is Mr. Fforde's written world. It's not really possible to describe what this book is about, other than to say it takes place mostly in BookWorld, the island world located inside a sphere in which all of the characters of written works live and from which they act out their lines whenever someone in the real world is reading their book. BookWorld is only one of many such realms, but we are concerned primarily with Fiction Island and its islets, where a Genre War of epic proportions is about to break out, and only Thursday Next can stop it. But the real Thursday is missing, so it falls to her fictional counterpart to do her best, even knowing that her best is nowhere near good enough....Jasper Fforde is easily one of my top 3 or 4 authors, and while I will never again have the joy of experiencing his fiction for the very first time, every single new volume from him is a cause for celebration. I cannot recommend this series highly enough, but I do caution that you must read the whole series, starting with "The Eyre Affair" and proceeding in order of publication. If you love good writing and inspired creative lunacy, you will be very glad to discover Jasper Fforde.

3.0 out of 5 stars not Japser Fforde's best, June 29 2012
Neko (Ottawa, Canada) - See all my reviews
Thursday Next fans may be a bit disappointed by this latest addition to the series. The previous storylines were based on the "real" Thursday Next and her adventures in both our world and the book world. This particular novel focuses mainly on the events surrounding the book world Thursday, who is nowhere near as interesting and readable as the original. I'm sorry to say that I didn't manage to finish reading it. For me, it simply wasn't a true Thursday Next adventure and fell rather flat.

5.0 out of 5 stars For every reader who has ever wonders where the characters go when the book is finished, May 28 2011
S. Morehouse (Langley, BC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One of Our Thursdays Is Missing: A Novel (Hardcover)
This is a pure fantasy novel so if that's not your genre you won't enjoy the book. However, if you have a great imagination and love books and have always wondered what happens really inside a book when the reader stops reading then this series is for you.

This is the 6th book in this long running series. The main premise of the series is that there is a book world that exists alongside the real world. Thursday Next is a literary detective who can jump between the real world and the book world to solve problems. We first met her in The Eyre Affair where she was instrumental in stopping a criminal who was kidnapping book characters and holding them for ransom Over the years, she's gotten married, had children (named Tuesday and Friday of course) and continued to bridge the gap between the real world and the book world.

While I was writing this I decided that it's impossible to give the plot line for this novel. If you haven't read the series you won't have a clue what's going on; so if you're interested start with the first book The Eyre Affair. Having said that, this is a great continuation of the series. It's funny, very imaginative and totally believable in an odd fantasy sort of way. There are actually a few pictures in the book, art that adds to the written text in helping you to imagine what the settings look like.

I hope I've piqued your interest enough to give this series a try. It's definitely worth reading

One of Our Thursdays Is Missing: A Novel
One of Our Thursdays Is Missing: A Novel by Jasper Fforde (Hardcover - March 8 2011)
CDN$ 30.00 CDN$ 24.00