Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Home, Kitchen and Garden Gift Guide

Showing 1-10 of 10 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
on January 12, 2002
I didn't realize how good a writter Richard Hatch truly is until I read his first of three novels called Battestar Galactica: Armegddon. It's an action- packed chapter by chapter account of the remnends of the brothers and sisters searching the galaxies for the Lost Thirteenth Tribe who left for a planet called Earth a very long time ago. It is a hard exhistance trying to live in old hulls and cast iron compartments no larger than a mop closet, but they had to survive the hollocaust that wiped out their worlds, and everything the held dear. They took to the stars... those who could walk or crawl to a ship before it departed from the bleeding planets. They followed Commander Adama, who was a great and very wise man. They believed in him, and wanted - NO - they needed a leader for them to feel safe. Commander Adama stepped forward out of the shadows of the deaths of his son, his wife, and lastly, his daughter-in-law, who wed Adams' eldest son, Captain Apollo shortly after they began their trek in space.
Now, twenty years have past. Twenty years still on a course for Earth, but never finding it. The future is precarious for these people, tragically, Commander Adama is gone. He would not live to see the planet he longed so to bring his people to. Earth was out there, but Commander Adama was not meant to walk its sacred pathways. Instead, there is the need of new and capible Supreme Commander and their are plenty of choices bitting for the vaccancy. This is a troubling time for the Colonial Fleet. Just a spark matchlight a micron heigh could lead to destruction. Apollo knows what he should do...he also knows that there is someone out there somewhere waiting for him to save him..but were does he look? "TO THE STARS!"
Like the author, R.Hatch, the character Apollo begins a journey of growing up and of being proud of what they've all accomplished. Tormented and saddened, Apollo must keep faith not with Athena, or President Tigh, but with beings of a heigher order. He must find the courage to discover the voice that wants to be free. It is something as much of Apollo as air. Without that voice, the fleet is doomed and the missing warrior will never be found alive. Will Commander Apollo abandon the Galactica and her crew to chance after someting President Tigh and Athena cannon possibly understand, or will Apollo be willing to give his life to keep the fleet save from the Cylons?
Read Battlestar Galactica: Armegeddon. You'll be glad to did.
on December 31, 2001
I enjoyed watching BG on TV. When I first learned that this trilogy was being written by Richard Hatch, I must admit that I snickered at the thought of the man who played Apollo trying to get published! Knowing of infamous on the set battling between the two major stars, I expected Starbuck to be killed off immediately. Boy was I wrong! I couldn't resist the tempation to check back in with these characters, so I picked up the first book and was pleasantly surprised by the content!
Richard Hatch has done an excellent job in maturing the characters without losing any of their charm. Taking place seventeen years from the TV timeline, Adama dies and leaves his son and daughter to take over most of his responsibilities. This puts Athena in as a central and important character.
The author adds some interesting back story such as more information on Kobol and the council, and places most of the emphasis on Starbuck and Apollo's relationship. By the end of the trilogy, we are reunited with our favorite guest characters such as Cain, Baltar, Tigh, Count Iblis, and the Noman, and we are introduced to the mature Troy (aka Boxey) and Dalton (daughter of Cassi and Starbuck). I loved it. Okay, there were some annoying typos and unique backstories used to explain things, but at the end of the book, you will be intrigued by the plot and fascinated at the things you never got to see played out on the show. Any BG fan, closeted or otherwise, should read this.
on December 3, 2001
"Greetings! There's been a cylon civil war. A newer, and more lethal species of cylons has emerged, and only I can lead you to safety!" Baltar said.
That is an excerpt from Richard Hatch's magnificent trailer production, spoken by the late John Colicos himself. This book trilogy is none other than the foundation for that trailer.
Book one sets up the story twenty years after the destruction of the colonies, with the crisis of Adama's death and the struggle for power in the fleet. And there's the return of Count Iblis in the mix.
All in all, I enjoyed this book. Sure, there are a few details that aren't correct, as some other reviewers have pointed out, and some inconsistencies, which is why it only gets 4 out of 5 stars from me. But as William Shatner said before, "Get a life!" I'm joking, btw, no offense intended. :)
It's a great read for Battlestar Galactica fans who've felt cheated by Galactica 1980 for the past 21 years. It's the return of Battlestar Galactica that should have been.
I liked the mix of the original generation with the new generation. Reminds me of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.
If you are a fan of the original, pick it up. It's worth a read.
on May 4, 1999
I admit I was a bit skeptical at first. An actor from a defunct campy sci-fi show I loved as a child attempting to continue the voyages of the Galactica.
I bought it anyway for nostalgia's sake, and I was very pleasantly surprised. All you favorites are there, plus an introduction to a few new characters.
It was very interesting to see what has happened after all these years to the fleet, the characters, their children, Baltar, the Cylons and more. The book does a great job in bringing you up to speed, and filling in many blanks they plagued T.V. viewers so many years ago. I liked the origin explanation of the Cylons.
Also, you can see where many themes of the old testament are relevant here as they are also mixed in with Greek mythos. Those that are familar with the bible will appreciate many of the parallel's drwan here in the book.
Decent plot, begs for a sequel. The only reason this did not rate 5 stars was the lack of action in space battles. Though the battles were there, I felt as if I were missing the feel of sitting in a Viper and blasting Cylons.
Kudos to Richard Hatch and Christopher Golden.
on August 5, 1998
Much has been written about Battlestar Galactica, the story of a mammoth warship guarding the last survivors of Twelve Worlds seeking the final outpost of humanity - Earth. It began as a television series in 1978, one that lasted but one season due to the show's expense and to network indifference. A spinoff series ran briefly in 1980 but was unsatisfying at most levels.
Battlestar Galactica has often been condemned as poorly conceived and abysmally written. True, it was made into a weekly series when it should have been a series of bi-monthly movies (the original concept creator-producer Glen Larson had in mind) and as a result scripts had a very uneven quality to them. That they nonetheless turned out quite well says a great deal about the concept.
It wasn't until Rob Liefeld and Robert Napton came out with a Battlestar Galactica comic book series in 1995 that the concept truly came into its own. The comic was beautifully written and created, able to explore c! haracters and ideas the show was unable to explore at the time of its initial run, and remains among the finest graphic novels ever put to print.
Richard Hatch, the show's star as Captain Apollo, contributed one of the comic's stories, "Apollo's Journey," a story that served as a rough draft for the novel he has coauthored with Chris Golden. Hatch expands on the basic "Apollo's Journey" storyline and co-fashions a gripping read.
The Galactica and the fleet of refugee ships under her protection are caught in the grip of political turmoil, as Commander Adama, the fleet's leader since the Final Destruction of the Twelve Colonies, dies. The turmoil, it turns out, is the machinations of Count Iblis, a mystical being with a stunning tie to the scourge of the fleet, the Cylons.
The plot and its branches are too extensive to detail here, but they are grippingly laid out, with superb exploration of the huge cast of characters created for Galactica.
Th! ere are minor nits to pick - the novel lists the Galactica ! as only carrying 75 fightercraft, yet the ship's vast size - well over 2,000 feet in length - allows the fielding of nearly 200 fightercraft. But such quibbles don't greatly injure what is an immensely enjoyable story.
on June 23, 1998
Overall, I very much enjoyed my reunion with the Battlestar Galctica universe. Contrary to some other editorials about the writing quality, I found no problems with it. I highly recommend it. I do not wish to dwell on the negative or to suggest with negative comments that this book is not worthwhile. However, I think my comments could help the formation of the new BG universe, with all humility of course.
I do not like the facts presented that a battlestar holds only 75 vipers nor that the whole of the colonies only had twelve battlestars. Very unrealistic! The US Air Force has thousands of fighter planes and nearly a dozen aircraft carriers. And this is in peace time! Direct comparisons are difficult of course. But, think this this point is quite reasonable. BTW, with billions of people and 12 times 75 vipers, 900 pilots plus back-ups only. The planets must have had thousands of vipers and pilots. We can improve the BG universe by incorporating these points within the resources constraints of the fleet.
Spoiler space
The kamikazee flight of the lone scarlet viper packed with solenite into one of the base ships bothered me. One, if it were so easy to destroy a base ship...well!!! I would amend the story by saying that the lone viper phased back into the base ship's reality inside of it and in a vulnerable spot just prior to exploding.
The ramming of the freighter into the second baseship also bothered me. In the series we learned that the base ship outguns a battlestar. So it is reasonable to assume that it could destroy that freighter. The book stresses that the Cylons would fail to accept mass suicide on the part of a crew of an entire freighter. I think this is overly relied upon. Instead, I would have had Starbuck in his commandered raider straffing the baseships flank missile batteries, phasing in and out of the base ship's reality. Then, the freighter could ram the base ship.
The last major thing that bothered me was all of the mystery or unknown about the make-u! p of a typical centurion. After a thousand yahren of warefare with them, including many victories, it is ABSOLUTELY inconceivable that the colonies would not have captured and disassembled/disected thousands of centurions. The history of warfare is replete with the examination of the enemies armaments and soliders while war still wages. I can't fix this one except to say that these lizard cylons could be a different flavor (I am not confusing these with the dark, ebon soldiers introduced to Baltar as his children by Lucifer.) of Centurions recently introduced enmass for some reason.
In closing, despite these amendable flaws, this book lays the foundation for a re-birth of the storyline. I would like to see it return to the screen but would be happy to just read many books centrally controlled by Richard Hatch.
on February 17, 1998
I had read some of the other reviews of this book before I bought it, but I don't generally follow other's opinions when it comes to criticism of art forms. I found Battlestar Galactica: Armaggedon a really enjoying book which faithfully takes us back to the universe we know and loved from the TV series 20 "yahren" ago. The writing is a bit lacking in creativity, and sometimes the dialogue is a bit canned. I found myself thinking, especially when Dalton or Troy were speaking, are they really saying this or what? Their dialogue seems the least bit inspiring and it seems they say things just to fill the page. Anger and other emotions fall flat when they talk to one another. The only other problems I found was the philosophical viewpoint of setting the timeframe so far into the future. Why 18 yahren? Granted, it opens up the growth of the Troy and Dalton, but other than that, everything else is still the same. Sheba, Boomer, et. al. just have higher ranks. They are still searching and still fighting the Cylon empire. The other tidbit is the fact of what is inside the Cylon Centurion armor. I always thought that the Cylons were all robotic. The book now says that the Cylons were a blend of human and reptile DNA (humanoid reptiles). This in not consistent with the series. Beyond these few critiques, it was definitely entertaining and kept me at the edge of my seat quite a few times. Short chapters also help if you read chapter to chapter. 309 pages is also manageable for those on time constraints. The final analysis: I can't wait for volume 2!!!!
on June 1, 2004
I'd never watched Battlestar Galactica, but I decided "what the hell!" and gave this a shot. I liked Armageddon a great deal. There's even a glossary in the back of the book which was very helpful to a newbie like me. Armageddon is a damn enjoyable yarn, but Im looking forward to reading Armageddon again after I've seen a few episodes of the show.
on November 5, 1997
I enjoyed Armageddon, in fact, it renewed my interest in Battlestar Galactica. The book answered many questions left by the TV series, like the origins of the 13th colony. You also learn more about Adama's beliefs. I was surprised by the end concerning Ambassador Puck, nice little twist. I look forward to many sequels.
on February 16, 1999
Despite what others said, I really enjoyed this book! It takes you deeper into the feelings of the charcters. I wish Richard Hatch all the luck in the world trying to get this story back on its feet!