5.0 out of 5 stars good job again.
First of all i have read most of his books and enjoy them all.
I am impressed with this one because it does give a modern day insight into old cases which did not have this kind of experience and knowledge back then.
Published on April 9 2006 by kevin farrell

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad...could have been better
Published on May 15 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars good job again., April 9 2006
First of all i have read most of his books and enjoy them all.
okay point number one. I am irish so have little knowledge of the jonbennet case. yes his arguemnt is compelling, and we all must remember that he has the experience,not us, he has been to hell and back with the greatest scum on earth. if you read his other books then you know he detests killers and nearly died trying to catch as many as he could. so do you seriously think that he would side with someone who he believed would do such a horrible thing to a sweet young girl what , over money, i dont
but then again thats just my opinion.
i admit that he could have written it in a more clinical way, his closeness to the parents does come across, but then again his empathy with victims and their families is clearly present in other books. so he is a man of conviction only after testing all the evidence and deciding where to go.
point two the lizzie case, well someone can be innocent and be found guilty we have many examples of that in our history this side of the world, and equally someone can be guilty and be found innocent, there are many examples of that so we are buying the book to get his opinion, we must accept his opinion as his right.
so enjoy the book and keep and open mind.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from top profiler John E. DOUGLAS, July 1 2004
Manfred Zeichmann (Austria) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cases That Haunt Us (Mass Market Paperback)
As die-hard true crime buff I have read most of FBI top profiler John E. DOUGLAS' books, so THE CASES THAT HAUNT US was mandatory reading for me.
This time, he revisits some of the most shocking and infamous crimes of the last 120 years, and takes a new approach towards them utilizing modern criminal behavioral analysis and profiling. The book offers a vast array of cases in chronological order, starting with the notorious prostitue killer Jack the Ripper in 1889 's London's Eastend, and encompassing 1892's Lizzie BORDEN case (BORDEN was tried for murdering her father and stepmother with an axe, but aquitted), the tragic case of the LINDBERG kidnapping and the horrifying deeds of the Zodiac killer, a Californian serial killer of the late 1960ies/early 1970ies, up to the murder of six-year old JonBenet RAMSEY on Christmas Eve 1996 (the only case in the book in which DOUGLAS was personally involved).
It is true that several cases were never solved with no perpetrator brought to justice, and it is impossible to prove DOUGLAS's conclusions one way or another. Often decades have passed, and none of the people involved in the crime are alive. However DOUGLAS' conclusions are based on experiences and knowledge gained in a long career in law enforcement as profiler and head of the FBI's Investigative Support Unit (ISU). His observations and conclusions are absolutely convincing. Needless to say that they often contradict popular perceptions of particular cases. Take for example the Jack the Ripper case - I don't want to repeat here what the authors have to say (and hereby spoil your reading pleasure), but unsurprisingly the killer in DOUGLAS' view is NOT the type of "glamourous" murder (like Prince Eddie, the Duke of Clarence, supported by some kind of fancy conspirators) so often found in books and films about this haunting crime.
DOUGLAS'in-depth analysis of the cases with meticulous attention to details makes for fascinating reading.
My favorite chapters are the ones on Jack the Ripper and the horrible murder of JonBenet RAMSEY.
There are some pictures in the books, but with the exception of some maps I did not find them very helpful or interesting.
The book is well-written.
If you are a true crime fan like me, you will dig it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good crime book, April 6 2004
Amy Lynn (Pennsylvania United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cases That Haunt Us (Mass Market Paperback)
Interesting investigations into the most famous crimes of the past centurys up until recently. The author analyzes, investigates and tells us about the victims of the most popular and notorious murder cases. Some of the cases he investigates are the jon benet ramsey murder, the lindbergh baby kidnapping, the zodiac killer and more. Tons of interesting info and a highly enjoyable read. 4 stars/ good for anyone interested in crime/murder investigations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Information and Evaluation on Infamous Cases, March 19 2004
Charlotte (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cases That Haunt Us (Mass Market Paperback)
The Cases That Haunt Us is the first book that I've read by John Douglas and Mark Olshaker, but it definetly won't be the last. This book was a really great read, featuring such cases as Jack the Ripper, Zodiac, and the JonBenet Ramsey murder.
I think that Douglas was very insightful while going over the cases, telling us what occured(to the knowledge of those working the case)and giving us possible explanations(no matter how improbable).
I highly recommend this book, especially if you enjoy reading cold cases. Happy reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars John Douglas is amazing!, Aug. 1 2003
Diana Brady "Will's Mommy" (Nashville, Tennessee USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cases That Haunt Us (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read all of Mr Douglas' books and I have never been disappointed. I have liked some more than others but over-all his theories are none short of brilliant. He actually makes YOU THINK!! Once I have started any of his books, I cannot put them down. I have recommended them to friends and they too have never been disappointed. In this book I was drawn to the JonBenet case. I thought that I had made up my mind who I felt the killer or killerS were until I read his thoughts. He makes the reader look at things in a way you never would have before. I strongly recommend any of his books if you are open minded (or not, but like to challenge yourself) enough to step out of your box for a while and actually USE that brain. Mr. Douglas, I salute you, if for nothing else but for being a really great FBI agent.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad...could have been better, May 15 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Cases That Haunt Us (Mass Market Paperback)
I read a previous book by John Douglas and was fascinated by the science of profiling. As a result, I also enjoyed this book. I believe the book could have been improved by not including the Lizzy Border case; the Bembenek story; and the Black Dahlia case, none of which many Americans are really familiar with. Douglas could have included theories about the more reknown cases such as the Green River Killer and the OJ Simpson case. The book is certainly worth a read if you enjoy the true crime genre.

4.0 out of 5 stars TRULY AMAZING, April 15 2003
Jeff Howard (South Dakota) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cases That Haunt Us (Mass Market Paperback)
I went into this book for the JonBenet Ramsey chapter, thinking John Douglas had sold out to the Ramseys when they hired him to consult on their case. But I have to say, JD changed my mind. I no longer believe the Ramseys killed their own daughter.
JD brought a fresh and enlightening viewpoint to the Ripper case and convinced me Scotland Yard had their man, but couldn't prove it. The Zodiac chapter was also nicely done. I would have to say the Lindbergh kidnapping was the hardest chapter to get through. It's hard to make old cases fresh if there isn't compelling new information. Good read for the crime buff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Interesting..., April 10 2003
By A Customer
I'm not a reader...too busy with college, etc. BUT, I could not stop reading this book. I thought it was extremely interesting and well written.

2.0 out of 5 stars curious explanations of behavior, March 29 2003
Katherine Robertson (Nashville, TN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cases That Haunt Us (Mass Market Paperback)
Too many statements of duratiion of time profiling with clear poor grasp of human behavior. "No mother would act this way." Vain, aging beauty queen mothers facing their 40th birthday with a history of dolling up in tights and rouge their preschool age children can probably be suspected of behavior slightly different from the norm. Interesting cases presented, but interpretations of behaviors are superficial, lack insight, lack curiosity. Why did Patsy Ramsey sit unmoved on the sofa while others with her reacted to screams from the basement--Duh.. No clear answer to who would sit and compose lengthy note without worry of discovery--Duh. I am inspired to seek other authors for insights.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting book., March 1 2003
Michael Freeman (Blanchard, OK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cases That Haunt Us (Mass Market Paperback)
If you like mysteries and books about police work, I think you'll like this book. The author, the founder of the FBI's serial killer profiling unit, describes several infamous serial killings from history, from the Boston Strangler to Jack the Ripper to Lizzie Borden. All of the cases he describes were, to some degree, unsolved.
What makes this book more interesting though, is that the author offers his professional opinions and uses his profiling techiques to predict who the purpetrator was (or in some cases, was not).
The last chapter describes the JonBenet Ramsey case from recent history. He gives a convincing argument for the innocence of John and Patricia Ramsey.

ARRAY(0xb7ba5240)

The Cases That Haunt Us
The Cases That Haunt Us by Mark Olshaker (Mass Market Paperback - Dec 1 2001)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89